54 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Albania
Timeline

Hello there,

I am graduated from a upper secondary vocational school for Electronic, with 5 year full time period program.

I have read and hurt from other people that this type of school it is not equivalent or it is not preferred by the visa lottery qualifications.

Education as it is mentioned on visa lottery web page instructions must be equivalent with a full time period for 12 years of education, other educations will be not qualify for the visa. My education is 13 years of education with full time period.

It is there any chance for me to qualify by diploma school ? I am graduated for Electronic, and on Diploma it is written: "Vocational Upper Secondary Education"

Will I be eligible for the visa lottery with this type of school ? Thanks

Hello there,

I am graduated from a upper secondary vocational school for Electronic, with 5 year full time period program.

I have read and hurt from other people that this type of school it is not equivalent or it is not preferred by the visa lottery qualifications.

Education as it is mentioned on visa lottery web page instructions must be equivalent with a full time period for 12 years of education, other educations will be not qualify for the visa. My education is 13 years of education with full time period.

It is there any chance for me to qualify by diploma school ? I am graduated for Electronic, and on Diploma it is written: "Vocational Upper Secondary Education"

Will I be eligible for the visa lottery with this type of school ? Thanks

Hi Caspar,

It is not just any 12 years of education, it is 12 years equivalent to graduating a US high school (that is with being able to go to college/university). They specifically say that vocational education is not equivalent.

There was a recent Albanian case on another forum where they were turned down for this reason even though the guy posting was adamant that the 'vocational' school was a special type that did mean one could go to university. So, I am afraid from what I can see it does not look good for you. However, I cannot recall all the details and I do seem to recall there was some difference between number of years and fulltime/parttime. I would suggest you see if the Albanian US embassy website has any more specific details on the acceptable education for Albanians, alternatively I think your best bet would be to contact the embassy in Tirana and ask them. Remember the visa interview fee is non-refundable and the medicals are an expense too so better to ask before you go ahead with paying everything. (It's not clear to me if you have won yet or are just thinking of entering?)

Filed: Country: Albania
Timeline

Yes i have won the first step and last mounth i have submitted DS-260 form. On the Us emmbasy in Tirana is wroten this:

"Not all high school degrees in Albania qualify for the program. Part time high school diplomas - without a break from work, evening school, or correspondence - including five year programs or long-term programs (part time, without a break from work, evening school, or correspondence) dont qualify for the DV. In addition, vocational high school degrees rarely qualify for the DV program. Even if you completed part of high school on the part time system, and part of high school on the full time system, this diploma will not qualify for the DV."

My proffesion is IT and i have more than one year that i can prove my experience (since April 2013) that's why i am asking for education because i don't have yet 2 years of experience.

Yes i have won the first step and last mounth i have submitted DS-260 form. On the Us emmbasy in Tirana is wroten this:

"Not all high school degrees in Albania qualify for the program. Part time high school diplomas - without a break from work, evening school, or correspondence - including five year programs or long-term programs (part time, without a break from work, evening school, or correspondence) dont qualify for the DV. In addition, vocational high school degrees rarely qualify for the DV program. Even if you completed part of high school on the part time system, and part of high school on the full time system, this diploma will not qualify for the DV."

My proffesion is IT and i have more than one year that i can prove my experience (since April 2013) that's why i am asking for education because i don't have yet 2 years of experience.

From what you posted there it doesn't sound to me like you qualify :( But it's still not very clear maybe because I don't know the school system. I really suggest you contact the embassy and ask them about your specific education.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I would contact the embassy, but I know that a similar thing for my husband wasn't good enough to even start college in America. He had to do his GED to even start at a trade school. The reason why is because as I've noticed in my husband's case, he really lacks that solid educational foundation in all the subjects we do here. He is really good at what he does, but just so clueless about things a 9th grader would know.

They don't want to set you up for failure in America, right now the IT field is very saturated and with maybe your educational credentials not allowing you to go to college right away, you might be struggling.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

I would contact the embassy, but I know that a similar thing for my husband wasn't good enough to even start college in America. He had to do his GED to even start at a trade school. The reason why is because as I've noticed in my husband's case, he really lacks that solid educational foundation in all the subjects we do here. He is really good at what he does, but just so clueless about things a 9th grader would know.

They don't want to set you up for failure in America, right now the IT field is very saturated and with maybe your educational credentials not allowing you to go to college right away, you might be struggling.

I see you have a spouse visa, so I am just going to elaborate so as not to confuse any DV applicants who might be reading this:

The DV has specific education or work experience requirements which have to be met. If they are, he will be fine. It's not a case of "not wanting to be set up for failure", it's a case of : is he is eligible through education or work experience? If yes he gets the visa, if no he doesn't. It's not the CO's job to decide if he can get a job or not. Incidentally the DV instructions also specifically say that GED is not acceptable as a high school equivalent for DV purposes.

Incidentally, I'm interested you say the IT market is "saturated". I know a few people in the industry in the Bay Area who reckon it is absolutely pumping...

Edited by SusieQQQ

It might be worth considering getting your high school qualifications translated to prove that it is the equivalent of a high school diploma.

Otherwise, I think you might struggle.

The problem is not the translation, the problem is that it seems his school diploma is not adequate as being equivalent to US high school for DV purposes. Edited by SusieQQQ

This is the thread I was talking about earlier - Casper you may want to have a read through before making up your mind to pursue the visa. The first few posts aren't focusing on the reasons for refusal but then it gets more detailed about that later on.

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/visa-refused-and-ceac-data-changed-to-refuse-of-main-applicant-but-not-the-other-participants.42/

Edited by SusieQQQ

If i contact the US embassy of Tirana by email will they suspend my case and my interview ?

What do you mean by "suspend"? Do you mean will they delay the interview if you ask? What is your case number (xxx out the last 3 digits so for example EU32xxx)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.