mrsu

Do children under age of 14 have to attend the interview at Consulate?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

HI there, I am wondering if anyone knows what the answer is...we can't seem to find a solid answer. We are in last stages of NVC, just waiting for interview date to be sent to us, which will be at Montreal, Canada consulate. I have read that my husband (the US citizen who resides in US) will not need to be present at the interview but we cannot figure out if the children need to be there, they are ages 2 and 5. It is my understanding that they will need to be there for a medical prior to the interview but because they are so young it would of course be easier to have them return with my parents if they do not need to be present for interview. My son who is 5 is autistic and will not talk to strangers and my 2 year old only has about 25 words so far so I cannot imagine that their presence would be beneficial in the interview but I don't know. If anyone knows, would love to find out so that we can start planning our travel accordingly, its a big trip clear across the country.

Filed: IR-2 Country: El Salvador
Timeline

I have heard that for CR/IR interviews - EVERYONE, regardless of age must attend. Your son will have to. I have already see people reporting back on this site for the kinds of questions they ask five year olds. I am not sure about a 2 year old. Good luck! :)

I-130

I-130 Sent : 11/02/2013

I-130 Received: 11/05/2013
I-130 NOA1: 11/06/2013

I-130 NOA2: 06/06/2014

NVC

NVC Received: 7/07/2014

Case & IIN # Received: 7/07/2014

DS261 Submitted: 7/28/2014

NVC Accepted DS261: 7/28/2014

AOS Bill Generated: 7/29/2014

Paid AOS Bill: 7/29/2014

Sent AOS Packet: 7/29/2014

<<TOOK UNSCHEDULED BREAK FROM FILING FROM INABILITY TO GET MINOR'S PASSPORT, During this time IV bill was generated and a checklist for AOS was generated and addressed>>

Paid IV Bill: 01/30/2015

Sent IV Packet: 2/3/2015

Case completed: 03/24/2015

EMBASSY

Case Received: 04/30/2015

Interview scheduled: 5/20/2015

RESCHEDULED 2 TIMES BECAUSE OF MEDICAL EXAM ISSUES - HAD TO SCHEDULE SEPARATE PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM IN ADDITION TO MEDICAL EXAM WHICH CHANGED DATES

Interview Scheduled: 7/20/2015

Administrative Review for missing Marriage License

Approved Visa: 9/15/2015

POE: 10/9/2015

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

All immigrant visa applicants must appear before the consular officer during the interview. Your children will not be asked questions, given ones condition and the others age. The embassy just wants to make sure that they are who they are as shown in the visa photos and passport copy submitted.

My children attended the interview as well with my husband (they were his derivatives in his F2B petition). They were ages 7, 6, and 5 then.

Good luck.

They will be required to attend. Your spouse (preferably) or someone can come and help you with the children but I would get that from the consulate through their online form.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was able to accompany them during their interview too. The embassy understands that its difficult for someone to concentrate during the interview while minding small children at the same time. Bring someone with you as companion (it doesn't necessarily have to be your spouse). Just make sure your companion brings a valid ID in case embassy people wants proper identification.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.