40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi! I am a dental hygienist living in Canada and I want to move to America. My boyfriend lives in California and we have not started the process yet for me to live there. I am currently licensed and working in Canada, saving money, and I want to get a work Visa so that I am able to work down there. Within California, I need to take a few courses and write tests in order to become a registered Dental Hygienist. After all that I need to find myself a job and an employer to help me through the process of getting a work Visa. As far as I know I need to file form I-140 with USCIS once I have all the qualifications to be licensed to work in California. I am finding it hard to understand all of these things! It is a lot of work but it will be worth it. As far as I understand I will get a work Visa, and then go about getting a Green Card? Anyway, I am wanting to go the employment route so that my boyfriend and I can try to have a more "traditional" life-we can live together, and get engaged/married on our own terms. That's just what I think will work for us and what I am leaning towards! We are both 24. I met my boyfriend Mike last year, September 2013 and we started dating "officially" in November 2013 :) he's the one! Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, especially because I haven't started this whole process yet. I'm new to all of this so any knowledge you want to share would be great. I'm just currently planning my timeline. I am leaning towards going to California at the end of the year as a "visitor" for a few months so that I can do my courses and tests to be a dental hygienist. I think it will be easier than going back and forth between Canada and US and will save money on travel as well. Thanks for reading my story!!

K1 Timeline
USCIS:

04/16/15: I-129f packet sent
04/17/15: I-129f packet received
04/21/15: Electronic NOA1 received - California Service Center
04/28/15: Hard copy NOA1 received
05/22/15: Electronic NOA2 received, case approved!

05/29/15: Hard copy NOA2 received
NVC:
06/08/15: NVC received our petition
06/11/15: NVC assigned case #
06/15/15: Case left NVC
U.S. Embassy:
06/23/15: Consulate received case
06/25/15: Packet 3 received and sent
07/06/15: Packet 4 received
08/24/15: Medical
08/28/15: Interview! APPROVED!
09/01/15: Administrative processing...
09/04/15: Issued..
09/10/15: Visa IN HAND
09/11/15: POE

09/23/15: Marriage

Adjustment of Status:
10/05/15: Mailed AOS, EAD, AP packet (FedEx)

10/06/15: Packet received @ Chicago

10/12/15: NOA1 received

11/06/15: Biometrics appointment
11/19/15: Case status "Ready to be scheduled for interview"

12/18/15: EAD/AP approved

02/10/16: AOS Interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Welcome to VJ. If you are planning to come on the tourist visitor visa to to complete school you will be questioned about your intent to immigrate to the U.S. If you really believe this guy is the one the K-1 process may be the best for you. If not you may want to try to obtain a student visa, however in the case of the student visa you have to show you have applied and been accepted into a program as well as how you intend to pay for school. Here is some information that may help.

Visitor/ Tourist Visa Info:

This law applies only to nonimmigrant visa categories. If you are refused a visa under section 214(b), it means that you:

• Did not sufficiently demonstrate to the consular officer that you qualify for the nonimmigrant visa category you applied for; and/or
  • Did not overcome the presumption of immigrant intent, required by law, by sufficiently demonstrating that you have strong ties to your home country that will compel you to leave the United States at the end of your temporary stay. (H-1B and L visa applicants, along with their spouse and any minor children, are excluded from this requirement.)
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Student Visa Information:
  • Your academic preparation, such as:
  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended; and
  • Scores from tests that your U.S. school required, such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, or GMAT;
  • Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study; and
  • How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs.

I don't think Dental Hygienist falls under the TN visa professions. http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/doing-business-in-america/professions-covered-by-nafta.html

I also don't think it qualifies as an H1B http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-and-fashion-models/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models

I'm not sure you can do your plan. To do so in the manner which you speak means that the US employer must prove that there are no possible dental hygienists for them to hire in the US workforce.

You also cannot do any courses without a proper schooling visa. You cannot "visit" and take courses.

The immigration process to the USA does not allow for living together and getting engaged with time like it would if you were both in the same country. The most you can do is a K1 visa where you have 90 days to live with each other before marriage. Or you can visit. Even Canadian immigration doesn't work that way (you have to be common-law or married - conjugal relationships count but they're extremely difficult to prove.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks all. I am confused about the process now! The course I need to take in California is only a 2 week course, as I am already a registered hygienist and I don't need to take school over again. California just has a separate course I need to take. Would I still need a student Visa then? I guess I don't understand. I will need to contact someone I suppose. Was under the impression I could go down and do the course/tests as a "visitor"/still a Canadian citizen

K1 Timeline
USCIS:

NVC:
U.S. Embassy:

Adjustment of Status:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Introducing Our Members forum to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Thanks all. I am confused about the process now! The course I need to take in California is only a 2 week course, as I am already a registered hygienist and I don't need to take school over again. California just has a separate course I need to take. Would I still need a student Visa then? I guess I don't understand. I will need to contact someone I suppose. Was under the impression I could go down and do the course/tests as a "visitor"/still a Canadian citizen

You can go as a visitor to complete the course being that the course is less than 6 weeks long. You are correct sorry if you were confused please review the links for reassurance. No worries we all were confused once upon a time that's why we all are here! :idea:

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

K1 Timeline
USCIS:

NVC:
U.S. Embassy:

Adjustment of Status:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Krikit's information is 100% correct.

These are the VWP participant countries: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Note that Canada is not listed.

Travel by Canadian citizens is covered here: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/canada-bermuda.html

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove quoted post requested removed by OP

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

(quote removed as original post requested removed by the OP. Content edited to remove reference to removed quote. - VJ Moderation)

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Click on your link and enter Canada. Look what comes out:

Visa Wizard

Your Selections
I am a citizen of

Canada

EDIT
My purpose of travel is

Tourism or Visit

EDIT

Citizens of Canada do not require visas for travel to the United States, except for certain limited purposes. Citizens of Canada will need to meet other entry requirements, based on their purpose of travel.

Please don't post erroneous information. It derails topics and confuses people. Thank you.

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove quoted post requested removed by OP
iagree.gif

Timeline

Do you see Canada in this list?

Visa Wizard
Your Selections
I am a citizen of

Canada

EDIT
My purpose of travel is

Tourism or Visit

EDIT

Citizens of Canada do not require visas for travel to the United States, except for certain limited purposes. Citizens of Canada will need to meet other entry requirements, based on their purpose of travel.

Please don't post erroneous information. It derails topics and confuses people. Thank you.

You are absolutely correct Canada is not in the Visa Waiver Program. However, Canadians do not need a visa to tour/visit/ or to take short vocational classes.

Citizens of Canada traveling to the United States do not require a nonimmigrant visa, except for the travel purposes described below.

Canadians require nonimmigrant visas for temporary travel to the United States for these purposes:

• Foreign government officials (A); officials and employees of international organizations (G); and NATO officials, representatives, and employees assigned to the United States (NATO)
  • Treaty traders (E-1)
  • Treaty investors (E-2)
  • Fiancé(e)s (K-1)
  • Children of fiancé(e)s (K-2)
  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen traveling to the United States to complete the immigration process (K-3)
  • Children of a foreign citizen spouse (K-4) described above
  • Informant supplying critical information relating to a criminal organization (S-5)
  • Informant supplying critical information relating to terrorism (S-6)
  • Qualified family member (S-7) of an S-5 or S-6 visa holder described above

Please review the link carefully. She is not trying to pursue K-1 or K-3 yet so she is okay to go without a visa. None If none of these apply (which they do not) you will not need a visa to visit U.S. No need for B1-B2 visa to USA. I apologize if I confused anyone.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/canada-bermuda.html

Timeline

Check the upper right corner of your link please it says this:

Visa Waiver Program

Tourist or business travelers who are citizens of participating countries may be eligible to visit the United States without a visa. Visits must be 90 days or less, and travelers must meet all requirements.

icon_canada-bermuda.jpg
Citizens of Canada and Bermuda generally do not need visas for tourism and visits.

Timeline

Do you see Canada in this list?

Visa Wizard
Your Selections
I am a citizen of

Canada

EDIT
My purpose of travel is

Tourism or Visit

EDIT

Visa Waiver Program

Tourist or business travelers who are citizens of participating countries may be eligible to visit the United States without a visa. Visits must be 90 days or less, and travelers must meet all requirements.

icon_canada-bermuda.jpg

Citizens of Canada and Bermuda generally do not need visas for tourism and visits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canada is not included on the list of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program; however, Canadians are admitted under North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Canadian citizens do not need a visa (except those who fall under E, K, S, or V non-immigrant visas), but do need a passport to enter the U.S. Also, under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) program, Canadian citizens must have a valid passport to enter the U.S. and must provide documentary evidence of citizenship (exceptions can be found at.

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) also allows Canadian citizens to enter the United States to engage in certain professional activities. The agreement allows Canadian citizens to enter as business visitors so long as they receive no salary or other compensation from a U.S. source, other than expense allowances. Also, for Canadian professionals, there are TN visas that allow Canadian citizens to engage in professional activities. - See more at: http://www.hooyou.com/i-485/vwp-filing-memo.html#sthash.n8xdaxuf.dpuf

Edited by seun&nicole

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Two posts have been removed by the OP's request, plus two other posts quoting same edited to remove the quoted post. -VJ Moderation

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.