alex88

Not being a charge for the US

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Italy
Timeline

Last point of the DV instructions states:

37. If I receive a visa through the DV program, will the U.S. government pay for my airfare to the

United States, help me find housing and employment, and/or provide healthcare or any subsidies
until I am fully settled?
No. The U.S. government will not provide any of these services to you if you receive a visa through the DV
program. If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will be required to provide evidence that you will not
become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a
combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) submitted by a relative or friend
residing in the United States, an offer of employment from an employer in the United States, or other
evidence

Imagine I don't have the second nor the third, what could they take as acceptable personal assets? Money at the bank?

Timeline

Also, "have you ever been issued a VIsa?" is the esta program a visa? I've been there for travel 2 times, they shouldn't had issued me an Alien Registration Number by the Department of Homeland Security right?

Imagine I don't have the second nor the third, what could they take as acceptable personal assets? Money at the bank?

Yes bank statements are usually trusted (although not in some countries).

Also, "have you ever been issued a VIsa?" is the esta program a visa? I've been there for travel 2 times, they shouldn't had issued me an Alien Registration Number by the Department of Homeland Security right?

No the ESTA is an aspect of the "visa waiver program". The clue is in the name...

DV Lottery information - www.BritSimonSays.com

Yes. If you are relatively young and qualified or otherwise seem like you will easily find work, they may not even ask for any proof, but always helps to have it.

No the ESTA is an aspect of the "visa waiver program". The clue is in the name...

:rofl: Edited by SusieQQQ

hi,

in addition to financial assets, will they accept real estate properties too?

Real estate is useful in building the overall picture, but it is not easily converted into cash (I.e. liquid asset) so it is slightly different. However I'f you have real estate I would certainly include details in your overall asset list.

DV Lottery information - www.BritSimonSays.com

Timeline

When should I redact the overall assets list? Should be something certified or?

There's nothing about that in the list of documents required as stated in http://www.travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Edited by alex88

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

When trying to overcome the assumption that you will be a public charge you can show assets. Usually they prefer assets located inside the US. ( Usually in the case of a US person applying for a family member ) Assets can include real estate, money in the bank, retirement accounts, items of high value provided you should be able to sell them quickly without undo harm to yourself. For a US person they allow second cars as assets but not the only car you own .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

I've found a couple interesting pages regarding being a charge in the us

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-niv-kaffidavit.html

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

Edited by alex88

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you, those links are very helpful!

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number SA03xx - Born in Trinidad, WI / Grew up in Canada - Successful interview: Oct 2nd, 2014 @ Montreal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.