mummyT

pets...what do you think is best??

30 posts in this topic

Hi just wondering what you guys think...i have a dog and cat and was planning on them moving with us to usa which would be about 5yrs time...but i have found out how expensive it is and i just don't think i will have the money my friend thinks if i cant take them i should find them a home now as i have children so everything isn't happening at the one time for them...i was going to keep them until about 1 1/2 yr before we went i know what shes saying makes alot of sense and i want things as easy for my kids as possible as they don't know they are moving yet am leaving that until we are alot closer to going...i don't want the next few yrs of ups and downs,,want to go then not wanting ect...then if we rehome our pets they might blame it on the move?? I think know what i should do but just wanting everyone's experience or opinion on it pls

thanks x

I think that you need to figure out a way to sell it to the kids such that it's "their" idea to find the pets a new home. If it's all part of the excitement and adventure of a move, and they will eventually get to have new "American" pets it won't be as hard, I think, than having to give up their pets and not know why (if you haven't told them about the move yet).

A tough decision either way... good luck!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Hi just wondering what you guys think...i have a dog and cat and was planning on them moving with us to usa which would be about 5yrs time...but i have found out how expensive it is and i just don't think i will have the money my friend thinks if i cant take them i should find them a home now as i have children so everything isn't happening at the one time for them...i was going to keep them until about 1 1/2 yr before we went i know what shes saying makes alot of sense and i want things as easy for my kids as possible as they don't know they are moving yet am leaving that until we are alot closer to going...i don't want the next few yrs of ups and downs,,want to go then not wanting ect...then if we rehome our pets they might blame it on the move?? I think know what i should do but just wanting everyone's experience or opinion on it pls

thanks x

If you still have 5 years till you move I would wait and see if you could save a little money each month to move the dog and the cat to the USA. You could also see if you could find a cheaper way to move the animals over. You have time so I would wait before you do anything.

I had always planned on taking them...we are a family of 6 so moving us is going 2 cost about £5000+ for medicals,flight,getting to embassy ext so an extra £2000+ for pets i just cant see it...i work but my hubby isn't at the moment...plus am saving to take kids over next yr on holiday so they remember America and not to strange for them, i don't want them blaming them not having the pets anymore on the move and i am pretty sure i wont have the money...its a really hard decision,,just don't want them upset about the pets then i come in and say we are all moving,,i think to much about things lol

thanks x

Hi there,

I know how your feeling is. I raised 2 rescued cats since they were kitten. The older one is 2 years ( a calico female cat) and the younger one is about 6 months old now. My then-fiancé (my now husband) knew I love them so much and told me I could bring them with me.

The difficult part was dealt with Indonesian government. They were very strict the rules where we had to wait about a month before they let us bring the cats and at the other side we run out of time because my husband had to come back.

My friends and co-workers told me just leave them behind or let somebody else adopt them - one of my friends willing to help me-. But, I just can't leave him behind the fact that I was afraid they don't recognized me anymore when I had time back to my country and bring them back with me.

So, after long struggle to get the papers done we finally finished the paper by paid some company to do it and were able to bring them. I know it is expensive if you are trying to use pet shipping company. I only used their service to get the papers done (I paid around $600). But, you can try to bring your pets as a carry on baggage.

My husband paid for my cats as excess baggage every time we changed our flights. For Asiana it was cost around $200 both of my cats. We paid Delta around $400 for 2 cats and we did not have to pay for Silver Airways. Total cost of my two cats from papers with the government, pet shipping, and the excess baggage was around $1200. I called one of international pet services, I think it was Shiloh or something, I had to pay $4000 each cat.

They have been here 3 months now and they couldn't be happier. They got a lots of love from my husband - Heinrich Artorius my younger cat is now best buddy with my him-, my mother-in-law sent them many toys, catnips, and several treats for them.

I don't know much about dogs but from what I read from books, tv shows, or on internet, they could be sick when their owners are not around them. Cats are more independent and solitaire. That's why I was afraid to leave them behind and don't feel attached to me anymore when I have time go back to get them.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The dog, if it is large, may be very expensive to ship cargo, but maybe you could at least take the cat as a carry on? The children will be leaving behind so much already. Or maybe you could ask family not to give you birthday and Christmas presents for the next few years (or whatever gift giving holidays you celebrate, and you, not the children) and instead make donations to the moving fund to help subsidize the move?

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

We don't have alot of family my dad here in the uk and his mum and dad usa...they are leaving alot..and i don't know what's best..if we are still un same situation money wise then i really cant see it that...and if i think it hard now what will it be like with all the added stress of moving with a then 14.12.10.8 yr old i want it to be as easy as possible for them

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

thanks x

It is not as expensive to bring pets to the US. Before you make a decision you may end up regretting, call Air France, KLM, Delta and some other airlines and find out how much it will cost you to take your pets with you. I keep hearing stories about astronomical charges, when all you need is a crate, a vet bill of health and the airline fee, which is a few hundred dollars. Call the airlines directly - not shippers - and find out what the fares are.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Its approx. $100 to bring a pet to the US from the UK when they travel as excess baggage with you - not at all expensive. For me when I moved nearly 9 years ago, there was no option for me to leave my Border Collie behind - I never would have left her behind. Now my parents are about to immigrate in a few months time and they are bringing two cats. They have to fly a different route through different airports, but they too could never leave their furbabes behind.

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

As far as i have been told you cant travel with the animal as carry on...i would rather leave my cat than make them sit in a cat carrier with nowhere for the toilet from the uk that can be 7+hr flight that would be so sad. What airline did you use??

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

As far as i have been told you cant travel with the animal as carry on...i would rather leave my cat than make them sit in a cat carrier with nowhere for the toilet from the uk that can be 7+hr flight that would be so sad. What airline did you use??

It is not as bad as you would think. Airline regulations require the pet carrier to be big enough so that the animal can stand and turn inside. Compare those to the conditions people endure in coach... (The cargo hold of the aircraft is pressurized and climate-controlled, no different than the main cabin.)

As for bathroom, dogs and cats will go 8-9 hours without going easily. Some do so all night, at home. Also, your vet can give you a sedative to take the edge off of the airport experience and controlling the intake of food and water before the flight will help keep them comfortable. I speak of my own experience flying with my two dogs overseas at least once a year. Also from personal experience I would suggest you speak with Air France, Delta or KLM.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Of course you can travel with the animals as carry on. Many people said that you can't but I did travel with them. The flights from the UK to the US is pretty short compared my flight from Indonesia to the US ( it was 23 hours excluding 7 hours of layovers).

My cats did not go to toilet and we did not use any medication to make them sleep. My husband and I used services from Asiana Airlines, Delta Airlines, and Silver Airways.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

It is not as bad as you would think. Airline regulations require the pet carrier to be big enough so that the animal can stand and turn inside. Compare those to the conditions people endure in coach... (The cargo hold of the aircraft is pressurized and climate-controlled, no different than the main cabin.)

As for bathroom, dogs and cats will go 8-9 hours without going easily. Some do so all night, at home. Also, your vet can give you a sedative to take the edge off of the airport experience and controlling the intake of food and water before the flight will help keep them comfortable. I speak of my own experience flying with my two dogs overseas at least once a year. Also from personal experience I would suggest you speak with Air France, Delta or KLM.

Agreed. Many people scared about what happened to their pets during the travel. But usually it worst in mind rather than in reality. My husband and I traveled from Indonesia to the US about 23 hours excluding 7 hours of layovers. They were sometimes acting crazy but that's normal since they sit in carrier most of times. Rather than leaving them behind and feel regret later, it is the best choice to take a chance while people can.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

We travel with our cats every 2 years, often times it's 5-6 flights in 2-3 months. They travel in cabin though on two occasions when I traveled alone with them one was in cargo hold as excess baggage. No issues. We stop providing food 5-6 hrs prior to the flight and water 2 hrs prior to the flight. Pets don't eat during the flight - I know the one in cargo space didn't touch his dry food or frozen water (so it can melt slowly) the entire time.

The cost with papers and flights this time around was $500.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.