mummyT

pets...what do you think is best??

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You have to call the airline and basically make a reservation with them. They limit the number if pets allowed in the cabin or onboard (cargo space) it is about $200 per pet for in cabin.. When you make your reservations call the airlines and find out the options for your flight (you have 5 years to,plan this) .. Not just show up,at the airport...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

I am waiting on them contacting me back the now...i have a friend who done it yrs ago and it cost £1000 for just the flight my vet told me £300-£400 for all the stuff i would have to get her then just my flight that's why i was so shocked..and with research i seen other people say they had paid those prices

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Well I, and many others here have had different experiences and costs than what you "friend from a few years ago" is telling you... I brought a cat to Italy and back, I got the pet passport vet stuff (about $200) and paid $400 each way for excess baggage... Again, if there is a will there is a way... Save $15 a month and you can take your pets and not break your kids hearts... Worth it? To me it would be a no-brainier...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Our two dogs are on of the reasons why my husband is not with me right now while waiting for the Visa ... 6 months ego we had everything ready for my husband to move to Morocco to stay with me.

We had everything ready just one thing was missing, a signature from the Moroccan Embassy in NY allowing us to bring the dogs ... they sent it 1 day after the flight ! our dogs are really big 100 + pounds and another reason why we did not being them is that after this happened our streets had rat poisons all over and i know that allot of dogs died cause of that :( ,they are our big furry babies ,it is hard being apart this long but soon they are going to have their mommy back ^^

And yeah it is not that Expensive for our dogs i think it was 300$ each with Iberia ,we got them from Spain and they survived the 8 hour flight just fine .

event.png

event.png

event.png

event.png

09/08/2013 - I-130 Priority Date
02/26/2014 - RFE
03/10/2014 - RFE sent
03/26/2014 - NOA2 date

04/08/2014 - NVC received
05/08/2014 - Case number assigned
05/12/2014 - DS-261 Completed
05/13/2014 - AOS paid
05/22/2014 - AOS pack sent
06/13/2014 - IV Paid,Finally!
06/14/2014 - IV pack sent
06/17/2014 - DS-260 completed
06/22/2014 - IV pack scan date
07/01/2014 - AOS checklist
07/02/2014 - Checklist Reply sent
07/09/2014 - Checklist scan date
08/22/2014 - Case Completed!

09/08/2014 - Case left the NVC
09/10/2014 - Case is ready
09/10/2014 - Interview letter received
10/20/2014 - Medical Appointment
10/29/2014 - Interview day ...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I certainly would not get any more pets in advance of a move but this is 5 years.

I did not think you could take pets on International flights involving the UK,,what matters are the regulations etc in 5 years, who knows.

Saving seems a good idea.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Ring around different airlines. We are bringing 2 dogs with us from Australia. First we were quoted $3000. After research I have worked out that if you dont go through a pet moving company and arrange it yourself with the airline its less than a third of that. We are paying $700 for both dogs now.

Hi lilsadie those prices would be great i could defo just add that in...i cant save alot more than i am the now..i am waiting on a few airlines getting back to me..i really hope i get a good quote i would love to bring them with me it is a good bit in the future but as i said i don't want to discover i cant afford it when i have told them they are leaving...they do love America and said they would like to live in America but you know what kids are like lol

Regulations for importing pets to the US (CBP site repeats this info):

USDA-APHIS: link

CDC on pet cats: link and dogs: link

The airline might require paperwork, like a health certificate or pet passport, and they might require a recent vet visit. Ask about this when you check with possible airlines about transport fees. (Another good thing to research is reputation for pet handling if the dog will have to go in the hold.) If you travel on the plane with the pet, it costs significantly less than if you ship on another flight, even if the dog is too big for the cabin.

You would make the pet reservations once you book flights. When we brought our cat to the EU, we called right before we booked to be sure there were still pet spaces available, then called back again after we booked to secure her spot.

Bringing our American cat to the EU cost about $300-350 total including airline fee and the various vet visits and paperwork required to meet the EU's list of import requirements. The cat was under the seat in front of me in the plane in a carrier padded and lined with puppy pads in case she needed to go. We also provided water and dry food in case she was thirsty or hungry. She ignored these things and mostly slept during the flight. It was $100 for an in-cabin pet on Lufthansa. The airline did not require a separate health certificate or paperwork from what we were required to bring to import her to the EU.

Hope this helps!

2012: Married
2014 2016 2017: I-130 packet direct to Frankfurt

Frankfurt's "steps" to DCF:

Step 1: I-130 Petition Checklist (PDF, from their USCIS page)

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

I spoke to my vet about 2yrs ago about it and he said it would be a few hundred pounds and then whatever the cost of flying..which with looking online i thought it was gonna cost about £700-£1000 just for the dog lol when i was adding it all up that was almost the cost of our flights for my family

Hi just got email back from KLM my pets cannot be took as excess luggage it must be done as cargo they never gave a rough price just if connecting flights and it took more than 2hrs it would cost an additional $200 i will need to try get to speak to someone at an airline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

From BE.

Bringing my Animal to the USA

If you’re planning on moving to the USA, and your family includes a four legged friend, there are three main options available to you:

1. Using a Pet Shipping Firm
  2. DIY
  3. By Sea – QM2

You also need to consider the USA regulations, both federal and state level. Certain dogs are not easy to import into certain states – search on “Breed Specific Legislation”. Here are some links to USA regulations:

Federal

Popular States

This is written primarily for cats and dogs – some of the links will be useful for other animals, but I would recommend getting in touch with a shipping firm.

[edit]Using a Pet Shipping Firm

This is the easiest, lowest stress solution. These people have done it before, and they know what they are doing. They offer just shipping services through to everything up to delivery to and from an address, so you have the option of going over to the USA, leaving the family pet(s) at home with friends/relatives and then getting them shipped over once you have accommodation set up. They will also deal with all the paperwork should you want them to.

Depending on the airline you use, this may be your only option. For example, British Airways pretty much require a pet to be shipped as cargo.

BE members have used various firms, including:

Quotes vary, but you can reasonably assume about £750 - 1,500 for a dog, depending on size – PBS (http://www.shipyourpet) could be a bit cheaper than this using a more basic service, i.e. you provide the travel crate etc.

[edit]DIY

Depending on the airline you are flying with, this may be a pretty easy option. People have recently used the following airlines in a DIY way:

• KLM
  • Air France
  • Lufthansa
  • American Airlines
  • Virgin

In the cabin vs. hold

If your dog is a small dog (smaller than about 10 lbs to allow for the carrier) you may be able to take them on as hand luggage. Whether you want the hassle of a dog on a 7+ hour flight is up to you, but it is an option. The same can apply to cats, though the higher potential for allergies may mean in the hold with some airlines. For all others you are going to be using the hold. You will need an IATA compliant kennel (such as a Varikennel).

Paperwork

There is no straightforward answer on this. The PETS scheme (pet passport) is a must if you are planning on going back to the EU with the animal. This generally requires a microchip and a rabies immunization and follow on test. The rabies test is expensive – think £150 - £200. If you are immigrating to the USA with no intention on coming back then it is possible that you don’t need it but this can depend on the carrier. If circumstances change once you are in the USA you can get a pet passport from abroad.

Also, the airline requirements vary on what is/isn’t required to fly with them. As a minimum, you will likely need a fitness to fly certificate from the vet, issued a matter of days before the flight. Some airlines websites are thorough, others not so much. The likelihood is that the airline will require more paperwork than the USA will.

The main advantage of the DIY method is cost. You may be able to do it for as little as a quarter of what you would be quoted by a pet transport company. Be prepared for multiple discussions with airline staff on the phone, as well as conflicting information. Get everything in writing!

KLM guidelines as at Feb 2013: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/pets/index.htm?WT.mc_id=1585961%7C5593405%7C74617124%7C249196617%7C1083634&

[edit]By Sea – QM2

Some BE members have also used the Queen Mary 2 to cross to New York. This is an additional option that may work for some people. The paperwork required isn’t different. As the QM2 is the only option, it makes sense to go straight to their website.https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/kennel_info

[edit]Other Considerations

External temperature – depending on the time of year, it may be too hot/cold for the animal to be transported. The cut offs vary from carrier to carrier and airport to airport. It may also depend on the plane being used.

Paperwork – get everything in writing where possible. Paperwork will be your friend at the airport, should you go the DIY method. Don’t expect every airport employee to be as familiar with the rules as you are at the end of this.

Where to pick them up at the airport – generally at oversize baggage. They will probably be sat there in the crate waiting for you by the time you clear immigration.

Customs – you will have to go through the equivalent of “something to declare” in the USA with the animal. This is not a painful process, especially coming from the UK as it is “rabies free”. Any unsealed dry food left uneaten/attached to the crate will be confiscated at this point.

Vets – try and find a vet who is experienced in shipping animals – they will be an invaluable resource.

Liability insurance (an umbrella policy) – something to think about at least- you are moving to a very litigious country.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Boiler thanks for info i have went into the links you gave me yet but i just wanted to say thanks for all that info...i believe i have to fly delta as they are the only 1s that fly direct Scotland to Atlanta which i need to fly too when immigrating then i can fly to my destination x

• 2 weeks later...

We flew Italy - Minnesota via Amsterdam on KLM in February with a dog in cargo hold. She was in the largest size kennel that we could take and it cost €200 for the flight and an extra €150 for more than a 2 hour layover in Amsterdam. The extra only applies with KLM if you are stopping in Amsterdam.

Then we needed a passport (we had already but renewed it), rabies vaccination certificate, and certificate of good health. It was 20 hours from the time they took her until we got through customs and she was fine.

IR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in Rome:

03.07.10 - Got married in Italy

01.11.10 - Moved to Spain

02.08.13 - Moved back to Italy

09.20.13 - I-130 filed at US consulate in Rome

10.18.13 - Received NOA2

10.24.13 - Received packet 3 via email from Naples

11.26.13 - Interview at Naples consulate. Approved!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.