jukerry

Hi I am new and a lot of questions!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi this looks like a great place!

Here's the story. I am from Ireland and my girl is from New York, we met when she came over as an exchange student in college and lived together for 6 months+. Then she had to go home. I foolishly thought I could work in the US for a year and had USIT tell me that yes you can work in a full time job position. Anyway I got the 12 month work visa which turned out to be only an intern visa, went over and lived in the US with her for 5-6 months before realising I couldn't accept the job offer that I spent 2 months interviewing for. So after a bitter return home now I am trying to figure out how I can get back to the US and be with my girl. I realise we could get married on a Fiance K? Visa but I was told I would have to wait at least 6 months jobless for a green card to come through and I am a recent graduate and New York is hugely expensive to live in so that option seems very difficult to undertake. So after perusing (trying to understand it at least!) the marriage visa guide I wanted to know if a DCF visa is possible for us. Note she is back in New York and I am back in Ireland working while she is in grad school now. What is our best option? Thank you for any help. I also applied for the DV lottery but did not get it unfortunately :(

Thank you all have a good day

Edited by jukerry

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Introducing our Members to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~Inquiry about family visa processes~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Not a 6-month wait before you can work. After you arrive on K1, get married, get the marriage certificate and apply for the green card (and employment authourization doc and advanced parole doc), it will be about 60-90 days to get the employment doc and then you can work while waiting for the green card. OR if you get married first and then apply for the spousal visa, it will probably take longer overall, but once you get the visa, you can work as soon as you arrive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Cr1 take a lot longer than K1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Not a 6-month wait before you can work. After you arrive on K1, get married, get the marriage certificate and apply for the green card (and employment authourization doc and advanced parole doc), it will be about 60-90 days to get the employment doc and then you can work while waiting for the green card. OR if you get married first and then apply for the spousal visa, it will probably take longer overall, but once you get the visa, you can work as soon as you arrive.

Oh okay 2-3 months is not as bad.

About your second part would we have to get married in a specific country US/Ireland and is that possible to do if either of us was on a tourist visa? She will be over in Ireland for the month of July so could we marry over here, apply for the spousal visa, I can stay working and then once I get it I can immediately go to the US and work once I land in New York? Do you know how long it would take and the cost for that option (assuming I read and understand it correctly!) ? Thank you very much

EDIT: Is the 2nd option you mention the IR1-CR1 Spousal Visa? It seems perfect for my situation, immediate work ability, we can get married in July when she is over, and it is cheaper than the other processes! The waiting time is about 7 months which is good too. If I read and understood all that correctly? Thanks

Edited by jukerry

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Work Visa's is something your Employer would handle, one of the quicker/better ways is to get your current Employer to transfer you to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can enter the USA and get married under the VWP. It is not illegal to do so. It is Illegal to do so if you intend to STAY in the USA after you get married. In other words if you choose the spousal visa option getting married in the USA is still an option if that works best for the two of you. Figure after you get married and file for a CR1 that approval can take in excess of a year. During that time your entry to the USA on a tourist visa is not assured as the Port of entry can assume that your intention is to stay in the USA. If you chose to attempt to visit the USA while waiting for the IR-1 be prepared by bringing documents that show your ties to Ireland as well as proof of a return ticket. If you go the K1 route the processing time is a lot shorter. 5-7 months but then as mentioned you have that waiting period for authorization to work. Also, not sure how willing employers are to accept the authorization to work and if it would affect your ability to get a job. In your OP you asked about DCF. This is a non-starter because your future wife has no legal residence visa in Ireland that I'm aware of. (also didn't check if DCF is even an option in Ireland). The work visa is probably not a good option either, You'd need to be transferred to the US and sponsored by the US affiliate of that company. A lengthy process and then even if you got it then there's the question of intent. All in all I'd say you best bet is apply for the K-1 visa and plan to take a 3-4 month vacation in the USA before starting work there. Start saving now you'd need not only the money for the 3-4 months out of work but then there's also the cost of adjustment of status which I've heard is greater then 1K

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

(also didn't check if DCF is even an option in Ireland).

It's not.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.