BO1

NEW TO THIS!! ANY ADVICE WOULD REALLY HELP ME :) k1 VISA

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

HI,

i am new to this, my fiancee and i have been together going on almost 2years now. we have a 6month old son together. i am based in texas while he is based in nigeria. let me give you a little history. we met through a mutal friend, (november 2012) we talked online and skype everyday. visited nigeria (i am also part nigerian) december 2012 and stayed for almost 3 months. came back to the US engaged and pregnant. i was a student and i live with my parents but now i am more settled. now we are a family of 3, i think it is time for us to be together here in the states and start our family. so we want to begin our process filing. is there anything advice you can give us before we start the process? we have pictures, i can print out skype call history, calls using rebtel, and of course the birth of our son who answers his last name. pls any advice and encouragment would really help us out. also would you advice i use a lawyer? thanks

brenda

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Follow this guide > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Read through the info about the consulate that you will interview at later for the K-1 visa > http://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Nigeria

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Whether or not to use an attorney depends on your financial situation and doing your own research. Immigration attorneys are not cheap, but I found mine to be very helpful. Certainly I could've completed the paperwork on my own, but the truth of the matter is, when she emailed the embassy they immediately responded to her. When I emailed the embassy, sometimes they responded and sometimes they didn't and sometimes it was two weeks later if they did. If I mentioned that they could email my attorney, however, the response was very swift again. I felt they took her much more seriously than they did me alone, and I feel like they took my case more seriously because I had an attorney.

This is just my personal experience, so it is important to research and make your own informed decision because again, attorneys are not cheap.

Edited by Ellchelle

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

HI,

i am new to this, my fiancee and i have been together going on almost 2years now. we have a 6month old son together. i am based in texas while he is based in nigeria. let me give you a little history. we met through a mutal friend, (november 2012) we talked online and skype everyday. visited nigeria (i am also part nigerian) december 2012 and stayed for almost 3 months. came back to the US engaged and pregnant. i was a student and i live with my parents but now i am more settled. now we are a family of 3, i think it is time for us to be together here in the states and start our family. so we want to begin our process filing. is there anything advice you can give us before we start the process? we have pictures, i can print out skype call history, calls using rebtel, and of course the birth of our son who answers his last name. pls any advice and encouragment would really help us out. also would you advice i use a lawyer? thanks

brenda

Hi Brenda,

Congrats on the birth of your son. I would suggest reading the posts and information available here in VJ. The more you prepare yourself before filing the better your chances are to succeed with your petition. You have two options either file a K1 fiance visa or go get married and come back and file for CR1 for your husband. It is crucial that you learn the difference and pros and cons of each petition. If you take the info learned here you should not need a lawyer but it is your choice.

I personally think getting married and filing for your man is a more stable choice but it is your option. Be prepared that they will ask for a paternity test to proof that your son and husband are related regardless of him carrying your fiance's last name. You have a road ahead, take time to absorb the info needed prior to proceeding. Wishing you all the best in your VJ and life.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi dear I am in Texas also. You have quite a bit of preparation to do. Read some forums on here regarding K1 visas and proof of relationship, etc. I have a friend going through the K1 process now also.

I wish you great luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't think u need a lawyer, am Ghanaian so is my fiance, we only sent 8 pictures, hotel receipts, copies of money orders, boarding pass & food receipts. That was all & we got approved within 35 days. His 28 am 24.

.age doesn't even matter ..just arrange everything right & u will be ok....good luck.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I don't think u need a lawyer, am Ghanaian so is my fiance, we only sent 8 pictures, hotel receipts, copies of money orders, boarding pass & food receipts. That was all & we got approved within 35 days. His 28 am 24.

.age doesn't even matter ..just arrange everything right & u will be ok....good luck.

Of course it is no problem to get through the USCIS approval with a minimum of evidence.

The scrutinizing starts at the embassy. Therefore I advice the OP to 'front load' the petition, meaning send a lot of

photos, communication besides the obvious proof of having met in person such as boardig passes, receipts etc.

Lagos is a tough consulate and front loading is necessary.

The CO's will have already seen the sparse evience you submitted to USCIC and often make up their minds to approve or deny before the

interview. They then will not accept or acknowledge the evidence you bring with you to the interview.

You front load so the CO can see all your evidence you submitted to USCIS BEFORE the interview, that is the point.

People think getting their NOA2 means they are 99% there. No, the 'fun' just begins.

Before giving advice make sure you understand what patterns Lagos has.....and yes, age difference does matter...though it was not brought up by the OP you stated "age doesn't even matter." Not to USCIS but to Lagos. 24 and 28 does not matter but a large age gap does.

I agree with Nigarmostyle that a DNA test may be asked for.

I would not hire a lawyer at all but save the money to visit again and be there for the interview also. Lagos likes lots of face to face time.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Definitely read the guides the other members cited here. There is way too much you need to know for us to repeat all of it here. Then if you have specific questions after reading the guides, this is the place to ask them.

Lawyers don;t come cheap, and unless you have a really tough case, there is nothing they do that you can't. Doing this on your own is really not hard. But one member here mentioned one advantage of a lawyer, that he will do a better job of getting the attention of embassy personnel simply because he is an immigration lawyer and you are just a pettioner. If that one thing alone is worth his fee, then go for it. But there is really nothing else he will do that you cannot do yourself.

Yes they may want DNA tests to prove paternity, but so what? You, the baby and your fiance submit blood samples. you pay about $300 or so for the fee, and it is done. Compared to the cost and inconvenience of the whole process, that is just a minor nuisance.

One red flag you may have here is income. You, the US citizen, will have to show enough income and/or assets to support the three of you. Sure your fiance will want to work when he is here, but it takes some time to set that up legally after his arrival. So they will look to your income and assets to support all three, and it had better be enough. The guides will give you more information on that.

Good luck to all three of you, and welcome to visa journey and the start of your own journey.

Edited by Al422

Everyone is giving you good advice and personal point of views. One thing to be certain that is sometimes overlooked; make sure you have had an in person meeting each within the 2 years prior to filing your petition. It won't matter that you spent 3 months with your fiance if your filing date is more than 2 years from the time that you arrived from that trip.

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

hmmmm thank you all for all the great advice. i see i have a lot of work ahead of me. quite frankly, i am extremely nervous but hoping for the best. Ebun, so here is the deal, he sends money via paypal. can i print that out as proof? pictures shouldnt be a problem. as far as income goes, i am a nursing student but a medical assistant earning a reasonable amount i think is more than enough for all three of us. we also get support from my dad as well, we will be residing with him when he gets here. my question now is, can i also say my dad will be our support? will that do us harm or good? i think we will also go ahead with the lawyer as stated above, i think it will be a bit faster than if we do it alone especially since i am new to this. thank you all so much!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Believe me it will not be faster if you use a lawyer. You have to send them the papers only for them to sit until they get time to do them. You will not be their only client. The papers are not hard to fill out. Just read them and pay attention.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.