16 posts in this topic

Hello all! Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ! Hope everyone is doing great.I need help to those who knew or have been to the process of adopting step kids. Hubby wants to adopt my kids. Biological father of my kids is deceased and we have the death certificate. What are the process involve and where , how to start? Lawyer is asking for $4000. Can we do it on our own by not hiring private adoption attorneys? Pls help. Here is my background. I came here on k1 visa and my kids through I 130 by my husband. To make the story short me and my two kids are now US citizens. What are the steps? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Edited by danver

Timeline

Just wanted to say Praise God for the way you opened that post. More post should be opened that way! Now I will someone answer your question.

Edited by Kolewenoik31

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

Passport for USC 6/10 thru 28/2013 19 days

First face to face meeting Nov. 4th 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Married 19 November 2013 heart.gif

:energy: USCIS-TSC

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

24/7/2014 NOA-2 {135 days} :dancing:

12/8/2014 Case Shipped {NVC} :dancing:

:energy: NVC

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

31/8/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/9/2014 NVC billed AOS & paid

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

21/10/2014 IV package sent

21/11/2014 Case complete :dance:(L)

03/12/2014 Interview scheduled

08/12/2014 NVC shipped to Embassy "In Transit"

12/12/2014 Ceac shows "Ready"

:energy:Consulate

15/12/2014 Consulate received

07-08/01/2015 Medical {Passed!!!!}

26/01/2015 Interview results {APPROVED} :dance:(L)

26/01/2015 DHL Air Waybill created online

28/01/2015 Air Waybill shows "In Transit" :yes:

29/01/2015 Visa ready for pick up {DHL}

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

Thought to share our journey for those who need the encouragement!

Filed: Timeline

For California, check out this link:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-adoption.htmFor

A step-parent adoption where the other biological parent is deceased is about as easy as it gets.

If you and/or your husband are moderately capable with forms and procedure then this should not be very difficult. Did you manage your immigration/naturalization paperwork without legal counsel? If so, then you'll be fine as this will be orders of magnitude simpler. Going to Court can be intimidating to some, but it's really a piece of cake and nothing to be fearful of at all.

I am from Georgia and my kids Got their us citizenship with no legal issues since hubby is deceased, anybody from GA that had been through the same process?pls.help me.

L.

Thank you.

Hello all! Greetings in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Hope everyone is doing great. Anyway I have some questions regarding step children adoption.

To make the story short I and my two kids ages 12 and 16 are now US Citizens. I came here in 2007 on a K1 visa and my kids were petitioned by my husband through I-130. All of us are now US citizens. Hubby wants to legally adopt my 2 kids. Biological father of my 2 kids is deceased. Here are my concerns:

1. Anyone know or have been through this same process?? Can anyone send a link for info on adopting stepkids in Georgia??

2.Can we just do it on our own? Lawyer is asking $3,000 for each child which we can not afford.

3 What are the steps/ where to get the forms.where do we start?? Anybody pls.?

4. How long would the process takes?

Pls. I would appreciate any info you can share.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate threads merged, please do not start multiple threads for the same or similar topics~~

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life In America, from US Citizenship General Discussion - as this is no longer a citizenship question~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Hello all! Greetings in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Hope everyone is doing great. Anyway I have some questions regarding step children adoption.

To make the story short I and my two kids ages 12 and 16 are now US Citizens. I came here in 2007 on a K1 visa and my kids were petitioned by my husband through I-130. All of us are now US citizens. Hubby wants to legally adopt my 2 kids. Biological father of my 2 kids is deceased. Here are my concerns:

1. Anyone know or have been through this same process?? Can anyone send a link for info on adopting stepkids in Georgia??

2.Can we just do it on our own? Lawyer is asking $3,000 for each child which we can not afford.

3 What are the steps/ where to get the forms.where do we start?? Anybody pls.?

4. How long would the process takes?

Pls. I would appreciate any info you can share.

Like I noted above, when one parent is deceased, the process is a breeze. You do not have to worry about getting the permission from the other parent or having a Court strip the other's parent's parental rights or having to go through due diligence to locate the other parent.

In Georgia, you go to the Superior Court of the County you live in. The Clerk there will be able to give you the necessary forms, instructions and schedule of filing fees.

Like I noted to the previous poster, if you managed all your immigration paperwork without an attorney, then you'll have no problem with the adoption paperwork. Your situation is the easiest scenario there is. The waiting time involved is really waiting for a court date ... could be a few months, depending on the Court.

Like I noted above, when one parent is deceased, the process is a breeze. You do not have to worry about getting the permission from the other parent or having a Court strip the other's parent's parental rights or having to go through due diligence to locate the other parent.

In Georgia, you go to the Superior Court of the County you live in. The Clerk there will be able to give you the necessary forms, instructions and schedule of filing fees.

Like I noted to the previous poster, if you managed all your immigration paperwork without an attorney, then you'll have no problem with the adoption paperwork. Your situation is the easiest scenario there is. The waiting time involved is really waiting for a court date ... could be a few months, depending on the Court.

hello there, thank you very much for your reply. I called 2 diffrent Superior Court houses of the county where I live and another superior court in another county and they both told me the same thing.." that they don't handle adoptions or have forms there,, I need to hire a private adoption lawyer".??

Before those phone calls I personally went to the court house in my county and they said the same thing.

I did all my immigration process from K1 to bringing my 3 kids here and have their citizenship by myself with no hassles at all. And with that being said I am positive I can do this adoption process by myself without paying thousands of $$$ to a private lawyer.

I just needed the forms where to get it and start it from there. Anybody who has the idea about this,,please I would appreciate your input.

Edited by danver

Hello All,

Greetings in Jesus' Christ Name. Hope all is well. I posted few days ago here about stepkids adoption. I did not get enough reply so here I am again asking and hoping for some answers from those who have been through this process.

Anyone had adopted their wife's kids (stepkids adoption)? from the Philippines? What are the process" when where and how to start?? We can not afford the lawyer asking $4k each child.

Can we just do it on our own without a private lawyer?

Anyone who can share their stories will be appreciated. Pls.share any link of info for stepkids adoption in Georgia. Thank you very much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Moving Here & Your New Life forum to the Philippines regional subforum, in hopes that readers there have done this themselves or know someone who has. ***

---

Edit: This is yet another duplicate topic, which has now been merged with the existing topic (itself a product of multiple merges). OP, you have ignored a moderator's warning to not post topics more than once. If you do this ever again, your account will be subjected to administrative action.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I apoligize though i did not mean to ignore or am not even aware of the warning. .sorry about duplicate thread,,i just though i post it in the wrong place reason why i did not get response.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Moving Here & Your New Life forum to the Philippines regional subforum, in hopes that readers there have done this themselves or know someone who has. ***

---

Edit: This is yet another duplicate topic, which has now been merged with the existing topic (itself a product of multiple merges). OP, you have ignored a moderator's warning to not post topics more than once. If you do this ever again, your account will be subjected to administrative action.

Not a Philippines topic... both children are U.S. citizens and living in the USA. This is a topic for adoption in the USA.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not a Philippines topic... both children are U.S. citizens and living in the USA. This is a topic for adoption in the USA.

Not a VJ topic either.

Have you asked at your Church?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hello all! Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ! Hope everyone is doing great.I need help to those who knew or have been to the process of adopting step kids. Hubby wants to adopt my kids. Biological father of my kids is deceased and we have the death certificate. What are the process involve and where , how to start? Lawyer is asking for $4000. Can we do it on our own by not hiring private adoption attorneys? Pls help. Here is my background. I came here on k1 visa and my kids through I 130 by my husband. To make the story short me and my two kids are now US citizens. What are the steps? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

We are also planning of doing a stepparent adoption this year. We are still in the middle of the process, and luckily Florida does not require a lawyer to process this. Check out your County's Clerk of Court website, and see if it has a 'Self Help Center'. Also, call the Family Law department. This is what I did and was advised to get the checklist of required forms from their office.

Edited by island_princess

NATURALIZATION

01-11-2014 N-400 Packet Sent

01-17-2014 Check cleared

01-24-2014 Received NOA dated 01/14 in the mail

02-20-2014 1st Service Request created for delayed biometric appointment letter

03-01-2014 Received 'yellow' letter in the mail

03-28-2014 2nd Service Request created since the 1st request had no response from the assigned Service Center

04-07-2014 Received biometric appointment letter in the mail

04-25-2014 At last, my biometric appointment!!!!

06-09-2014 Interview - recommended for approval!

07-17-2014 Oath Ceremoney USCIS-Orlando Office! I'm A United States Citizen

AOS AND EAD
02-13-2009 AOS Packet Sent
02-15-2009 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02-23-2009 Date of NOA1 (AOS & EAD)
02-25-2009 Check Cleared
02-27-2009 Received NOA1s (AOS and EAD) and Bio Appointment Letter in the mail!!
03-18-2009 Biometric Appointment
04-17-2009 EAD card production ordered!
04-27-2009 EAD card in received in mail
06-19-2009 Received interview appointment in the mail
08-19-2009 Interview Date APPROVED!
08-28-2009 Received 10-year GC in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.