jjep.com

how safe is delta airline?

26 posts in this topic

I love Delta. It is a long standing American airline.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

I've flown Delta more time than I can count and never had any issue with them. Well, that one time I did but that was when that volcano erupted in Iceland halting all air traffic in Europe - that was 4 years ago, I think. I was stuck in Addis Ababa at the time since my return trip would have taken me through Amsterdam which was closed. Bad situation, wasn't Delta's fault. I did end up booking a different return trip with Turkish Airlines via Istanbul - the only route that was still open. Upon my return, Delta refunded me the return trip portion of my non-refundable ticket without any questions asked. As for their safety record, they are rated 7 out of 7 like pretty much all of the US Airlines. No worries.

http://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/51/delta-air-lines

I've been flying on Delta like twice a month, on average, for the past twelve years. Excellent airline in my experience. If you wanna correlate age with experience - then it seems to me that Delta's pilots, on average, seem older than those I see piloting AirTran, Southwest and the regional airlines.

Safety-wise, I think all the major US airlines are fine.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Delta are the only airline with which I've ever experienced an emergency landing. :(

The flaps on the DC-10 I was on jammed on takeoff from LAX, so we circled over the Pacific, dumping fuel, then executed a hot landing back at LAX. Not impressed. :no:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

I hate flying. :)

Delta are the only airline with which I've ever experienced an emergency landing. :(

The flaps on the DC-10 I was on jammed on takeoff from LAX, so we circled over the Pacific, dumping fuel, then executed a hot landing back at LAX. Not impressed. :no:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have only ever flew delta and and my flights were very smooth . Two times they had trouble with ice at the gate and they made sure it was all safe before they would let us leave .

You lived to tell about it. As they say, any landing you walk away from is good.

What would have impressed you?

A more news-sensational event like a fireball, missing airplane, or a chaotic scene where emergency crews run over passengers?

Mechanical issues happen - I'd be very impressed with an experienced crew that could manage with minimal injuries to passengers and crew.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

What would have impressed you?

A more news-sensational event like a fireball, missing airplane, or a chaotic scene where emergency crews run over passengers?

Mechanical issues happen - I'd be very impressed with an experienced crew that could manage with minimal injuries to passengers and crew.

What would have impressed me would have been using a different plane, even if it took an additional couple of hours on the ground in LAX. Because the flight had already been delayed an hour, due to the ground crew working on ... you guessed it ... the flaps. <_<

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

What would have impressed me would have been using a different plane, even if it took an additional couple of hours on the ground in LAX. Because the flight had already been delayed an hour, due to the ground crew working on ... you guessed it ... the flaps. <_<

Uh huh. If you weren't satisfied with the way they handled the maintenance interruption, you had the option of not getting on that flight.

And if the replacement plane had been forced to emergency land due to another unrelated issue, that would have been more impressive?

BTW, airlines don't usually have idle planes sitting around for rapid substitution … and even when they do manage the plane, they may need to find a replacement crew if the original crew will reach their working hour limit before the flight is scheduled to be completed. I experienced this a few years ago - flight in Philly (Delta, of course) had something broken with the wheel; Delta sent a replacement part on the next flight from Atlanta (delay of 2hrs) and repaired the wheel once it arrived (delay an additional 1hr); however, the original crew only had an hour left on their 'work time', so they could not manage the flight as scheduled, so we were stuck in Philly another 6hrs waiting for a full replacement crew. It was a crazy night - but I'm one to find humor and fun in things I really cannot control.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should be fine flying Delta. The only issues I have had with them relate to flight delays. They are head-quartered here in Atlanta so if there were any safety problems, you can be sure, it would be news here - and it isn't.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your flight. Flying can be really spectacular! I always get a window seat just so I can enjoy the sky-high view.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

You should be fine flying Delta. The only issues I have had with them relate to flight delays. They are head-quartered here in Atlanta so if there were any safety problems, you can be sure, it would be news here - and it isn't.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your flight. Flying can be really spectacular! I always get a window seat just so I can enjoy the sky-high view.

Indeed. Must have been spectacular sitting in this one.