Journey_Man

How is the chance of spot approval on I-485 interview ?

22 posts in this topic

Just asking to hear those experiences who got spot approval right after the interview.

What did they produce as the evidence of their marriage ?

Some IOs are simply not empowered through their lack of seniority to be able to give an instant approval, and need to check with their supervisor first; in those circumstances you could have a message written on the sky by God and all the evidence there is to have, but you still wouldn't have instant approval.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Some IOs are simply not empowered through their lack of seniority to be able to give an instant approval, and need to check with their supervisor first; in those circumstances you could have a message written on the sky by God and all the evidence there is to have, but you still wouldn't have instant approval.

Then how long does it take usually after the interview to have approval at least online ?

What is situation of 26 Federal Plaza , NYC ?

I don't know how things work in NYC but in my experience, the notice of approval was sent thru text and email within an hour after we walked out of the interview. The IO gave us an RFE for an unticked box on my I-695 form which we managed to get within a half hour. As soon as we handed the corrected form we got the text and email simultaneously informing us of a spot approval.

As far as other evidence we brought to the interview itself-- well note the list on the appointment letter and bring those. Also, for your peace of mind, bring a copy of your packet so you can browse through it while you're waiting to be called. Most of the questions will be on the form entries and some follow up on what you wrote in there. I brought additional evidence (pictures, travel itineraries etc) but the IO did not even bother with it. Most of the stuff you need will most likely be already in your packet. Just make sure you get there early and you're golden.

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

I don't know how things work in NYC but in my experience, the notice of approval was sent thru text and email within an hour after we walked out of the interview. The IO gave us an RFE for an unticked box on my I-695 form which we managed to get within a half hour. As soon as we handed the corrected form we got the text and email simultaneously informing us of a spot approval.

As far as other evidence we brought to the interview itself-- well note the list on the appointment letter and bring those. Also, for your peace of mind, bring a copy of your packet so you can browse through it while you're waiting to be called. Most of the questions will be on the form entries and some follow up on what you wrote in there. I brought additional evidence (pictures, travel itineraries etc) but the IO did not even bother with it. Most of the stuff you need will most likely be already in your packet. Just make sure you get there early and you're golden.

Great to learn about your experiences.

But I heard NYC 26 Federal Plaza IOs shot very thin stare.

Our marriage is genuine , and the spot approval is highly necessary for me as my employment has been on hold.

Great to learn about your experiences.

But I heard NYC 26 Federal Plaza IOs shot very thin stare.

Our marriage is genuine , and the spot approval is highly necessary for me as my employment has been on hold.

But, didn't you get the EAD? Why don't you use that? Forgive me if I am missing something.

But, didn't you get the EAD? Why don't you use that? Forgive me if I am missing something.

Yes , I received I-766. But the job offered to me is export controlled. So they are waiting for at least an I-151 stamp on my passport.

Yes , I received I-766. But the job offered to me is export controlled. So they are waiting for at least an I-151 stamp on my passport.

Well, I am absolutely not an expert about this, definitely do some search in this forum or wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in, but my understanding was that the EAD should allow you to work in anything the green card does. It is possible that the people hiring you might not know this so you would need to explain. Again, not sure about this, just mentioning it so you look into it if so you want.

No, certain employers (chiefly military or aerospace-related) require a green card or citizenship as that makes the employee a "US person" under the ITAR. They technically *could* employ someone with an EAD, but they would have to apply for a license from the state department which costs thousands of dollars and takes several months, so they're usually reluctant to do that.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My wife and I had our interview on the Wednesday 19th of this month, everyone situation is different. We had an 8:40am appointment got there 20min early.

We brought copies of all documents submitted with our applications, The IO sworn us in and ask for the approved I-130..........my daughter birth certificate. Then ask my wife where was she born and when did we get married. And I was asked about my parents and the yes and no questions and that's it. Less than five minutes I was approve also ask for the stamp in the passport but he told you don't really need it........once he enter it in the system I am a permanent resident which he's going to put in the computer while he makes copy.

Less than half hour we get the email and text.

We had a good experience so it all depends on your individual case.

Good luck and nothing beats the truth....we didn't prepare for question or anything because everything about us is real.

we didn't prepare for question or anything because everything about us is real.

This is the point. When every thing is real , they are not too dumb to not to recognize it. Certainly their experience drives their intuition about the veracity of a case.

Where was your interview location ?

Unfortunately , New York city is the heaven of illegal aliens. Nothing to blame about the NYC IOs. The possibility of fraud is highest in NYC.

And i got my interview in NYC 26 Federal Plaza.

Anyway , every thing about us is real and truth.

That's my preparation, nothing else.

Edited by msseraz

This is the point. When every thing is real , they are not too dumb to not to recognize it. Certainly their experience drives their intuition about the veracity of a case.

Where was your interview location ?

Unfortunately , New York city is the heaven of illegal aliens. Nothing to blame about the NYC IOs. The possibility of fraud is highest in NYC.

And i got my interview in NYC 26 Federal Plaza.

Anyway , every thing about us is real and truth.

That's my preparation, nothing else.

You are very naive if you think this.

Your guesses are not facts.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

You are very naive if you think this.

Your guesses are not facts.

Then how could I be sophisticated ?

My marriage is an arrange marriage.

Our family looked for bride , my wife's family also looked for groom.

We had some family friendship.

We meet first ever in my in laws house.

How should my answer go if asked --

when we met first ever ?

How did we decide to marriage ?

Edited by msseraz

I came here as B1 visa. After 1 month my American fiance for 6 months and I got married. After 1 month He applied for my I-130 and me for I-485. It took 6 months before our interview scheduled. During the interview the IO asked about how we met, why we got married, when, how many people attend our wedding. If the IO is asking the husband, the wife should not answer and vise versa. He also ask the photos of our wedding and some document like joint ownership of the house and bank joint acc.The interview took about 20 minutes and after that he said I will approve your green card. He ask my passport and stamp the temporary green card and he said I can use it to apply for SSN. My husband and I feel that all the burden from our shoulder has gone and we are so happy to leave the room. After 1 week I received my green card by mail. I wish that you will have a smooth interview and good result. Just keep calm and answer the questions without hesitation. If your marriage is for real that's the thing that will give you confidence.smile.png

Then how could I be sophisticated ?

My marriage is an arrange marriage.

Our family looked for bride , my wife's family also looked for groom.

We had some family friendship.

We meet first ever in my in laws house.

How should my answer go if asked --

when we met first ever ?

How did we decide to marriage ?

All you need to do, and in fact the only thing you can do that will lead to approval, is TELL THE TRUTH.

It is not illegal to have an arranged marriage. Interviewing Officers are smart and well-trained, and the person assigned to your case will have knowledge of your cultural norms.

But don't just decide that NYC has the most "illegals", or that is has the most fraud. What a strange thing to decide! Have you been to every city in the US and done a survey?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.