Lenzwei

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained.

106 posts in this topic

Pete, it's possible that I'm a hopeless optimist, but I think you're jumping the gun. What's the rush in filing for divorce and cancelling the visa process? I think you are overly concerned with protecting yourself from looking foolish in the end. The visa process cannot continue without your cooperation through the NVC stage, so I'd hold off on notifying them at the moment.

She's been MIA for less than a week, and it all started the day after the I-130 approval. Personally, I think she's freaking out. Everything you two have talked and dreamed about for the last year is turning into the reality of leaving her family and friends and everything familiar to her. It's scary. Based on the timeline you provided, you rushed into a marriage. Don't be so anxious to rush into a divorce.

I agree with Operator. I'd jump on a plane and have some face-to-face discussions about your relationship, feelings, fears, and what the future holds for the two of you. You can cancel the petition later. You can divorce later. But the only chance you have to save this marriage is now. Invest in one more round-trip ticket before walking away.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

As a beneficiary, and having left everything I knew for my husband, I know how hard it can be so I'll say: Give her a prudent amount of time.

I think she just had a reality check, and needs time to process it for a bit. And no, giving your wife money doesn't necessarily mean she was using you.

K1 VISA
01/07/2011-> Packet Sent.
01/12/2011-> NOA1
05/11/2011-> NOA2
05/19/2011-> NVC Receives we have our No.
05/20/2011-> Case sent to the Consulate.
05/25/2011-> Consulate Received Package.
05/28/2011-> Received Packet 4 with my Interview Letter.
06/01/2011-> Medical Exam.
07/14/2011-> Interview at 8:00 am. APPROVED!!!
07/18/2011-> Pick up Visa at the Embassy.
08/03/2011-> P.O.E.
10/15/2011-> MARRIED!

AOS

11/07/2011-> AOS Packet Sent.

11/10/2011-> NOA Date According email & online status.

11/19/2011-> Hard Copies & Biometrics App. Letter.

11/23/2011-> Biometrics Walk In. (Original App. 12/06/2011)

02/07/2012-> AOS transferred to CSC.

02/17/2012-> EAD Card Received in Mail.

05/04/2012-> Green Card Production Ordered.

05/10/2012-> Green Card and Welcome Letter Received.
ROC

02/03/2014-> ROC Packet Sent.

02/10/2014-> NOA1 Date according to Hard Copy.

03/11/2014-> Biometrics Date.

08/01/2014-> Approved (Letter Rcvd. 08/07/14)

08/14/2014-> 10 Year Green Card Received.

N-400

11/02/2015-> N-400 Packet Sent.

11/04/2015-> N-400 Packet Delivdered.

11/05/2015-> NOA1 Date according to Hard Copy.

12/01/2015-> Biometrics Date.

04/07/2016-> Civics Exam and Interview (Rescheduled from 03/01) PASSED!

04/27/2016-> Oath. I am a US Citizen. This is how this journey ends!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

which province or city she resides in? You can spend some money to hire a private investigator who have Chinese operation to vet her out and get a true picture of her background. You should be able to find one in Southern California with immigrant communities. Have you met her parents? If this is a scam you were unlikely to meet her family members. The iPhone bit is not that out of norm for YCG's. Some of them are really materialistic. good Luck.

So sorry for this. If you know for sure she was using you for papers divorce.
What if she is going through something crazy and is freaking out at the thought of moving to a new place away from what she has known all her life. Thats a big step for anyone and scary too.

Before you submit divorce or cancel the petition I would find out what is really going on with her.

Best of luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Personally I don't think you are being scammed. If that were the case she would go threw the process and come here.

IPhone is a standard issue for Chinese women and it is not uncommon to pay a dowry for a bride in China.

There is something else going on that she is not telling you, maybe her family is against it or she is just plain scared to leave everything she knows.

I would wait a few weeks before doing anything. JMO.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Interview date:10/20/09...We are Pink!

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Stateside Feb 3rd. 2010. POE: JFK

Married Feb 20th, 2010

===================================

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

Biometrics 5/7/10 (Appointment Letter Recvd 4/27/10)

I485 transferred to CSC 4/30/10

Email received, AP and EAD approved 6/17/10.

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

Email, Card production ordered 8/16/10.

GC in Hand 8/27/10

=========================================

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

If she was scamming for money only i don't think she'd rush into marriage and filing for the visa. It can be done without it - like by saying you need to give the bride's mother a gift before you actually get married. Which is not unheard of in some cultures.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm sorry that this has happened to you but at least give it a little time before you file for divorce, maybe she's worried about leaving her family and country and needs a little space/time to think? Maybe her family are putting pressure on her? If you have contact with her through her friend then maybe not all is lost.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thank you everyone for the sanity check.

A little more background which may help clarify. She works for her sister's dye distribution company. Her sister can't keep any new employees more than a couple of days. They quit and say, "too much job!" Much work as she says. She works seven days a week normally 9-11 hours per day. So maybe her sister is laying a guilt trip on her about leaving. My wife has said about her sister that, "she not smile often." : )

I spoke with her good friend this morning, (I think if it were a scam she wouldn't answer the phone), she said my wife's phone is still powered off so she is going to take the subway (1&1/2hours) to her home this weekend and basically plead my case to her. Her friend said this morning that she is sure my wife is loyal to me, but she doesn't know what the problem is. Her friend told me that I am a good man, which I appreciate very much and she is sure that my wife will be happy with me in the states. So she will email me Sunday night with either good news that she'll begin communicating or bad news that a divorce is pending. I'm lucky that she and I have such a good friend.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Pete, it's possible that I'm a hopeless optimist, but I think you're jumping the gun. What's the rush in filing for divorce and cancelling the visa process? I think you are overly concerned with protecting yourself from looking foolish in the end. The visa process cannot continue without your cooperation through the NVC stage, so I'd hold off on notifying them at the moment.

I can't do anything but add to what jenafid said. I would give it time and make sure. In my heart, I hope that it works out for you and she just got the jitters.

[01/21/2014] I-130, I-485, I-765 sent off to Chicago

[01/27/2014] (Day 1) Package Arrived in Chicago

[01/27/2014] (Day 1) NOA Date

[01/30/2014] (Day 4) Fingerprint Fee Accepted - Case Transferred to National Benefits Center

[01/31/2014] (Day 5) Checks Cashed

[02/07/2014] (Day 12) Hardcopies NOA in mailbox

[02/10/2014] (Day 15) Bio-metrics Letter in mailbox Appt 2/24/2014

[02/11/2014] (Day 16) Successful Bio-metrics Walk In

[03/05/2014] (Day 38) 485 Status Changed to Testing and Interview

[03/18/2014] (Day 51) Email with Interview Date: 04/23/2014

[04/07/2014] (Day 71) Text/Email Indicating EAD Card In production / AP Approved

[04/10/2014] (Day 74) Text/Email Indicating EAD Card Mailed

[04/14/2014] (Day 78) EAD Card In Hand

[04/15/2014] (Day 79) Applied for SS#

[04/23/2014] (Day 87) Interview (Approved on spot)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No harm in waiting another couple days, but I wouldn't send any more money or gifts over there.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Powered off phone is a deal breaker. She's hiding something or she doesn't want to talk to you. Cut your losses and move on.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.