Melisandre

K 1 Visa - Ottawa, Ontario

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys!

Newbie here with lots of questions! smile.png

I'm a Canadian citizen residing in Ottawa, Ontario and will be for K1 visa soon. We got the giant spaceship looking US embassy here in Ottawa but I can't find any approved doctor for medical examination. Do I HAVE TO go to Toronto or Montreal for the medial exam even though the spaceship embassy is right here? What about the interview, can I at least have the interview here in Ottawa?

We plan to get married around the end of November 2014. Keeping all the process and everything in mind, when should my fiance file the petition in the United States. Does it take too long? I found out that I shouldn't go for my medical exam until asked by the embassy, but can I get my police record done prior? Their website says it takes about 6-8 weeks to get it.

Oh and I don't have any vaccination record handy as much as I know but I did get Polio and Tetanus and all that when I was a child, said my mother unsure.png

Thank you so much to everyone in advance, I truly appreciate any advice/suggestion you might have for me! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start to prepare for this whole...madness wacko.png

I think you have to go to Montreal or Vancouver for your interview. There might be a doctor in Ottawa to do the medical, but I don't know. The embassy in Ottawa doesn't do k1 visa interviews.

Right now the k1 visa process doesn't take too long, or so it appears. I'd do a little looking around on VJ to get averages, and then apply a couple months before that timeline. You have 6 months to use your visa, so better safe than sorry.

And I'd wait to do either police record or medical. You'll need them again to do your AOS and they're only valid for a limited time. Do them as close to the interview as you can. I think you can get a police record check much quicker than that, if you go in in person.

See if your mother has your vaccination record, or else go to a travel health services clinic and get them to requisition it. You can get blood tests to prove you've been vaccinated, but it costs way more than the shots.

Good luck!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since you reside in Ontario, you will be going to Montréal for your visa interview. I'm not sure of wait times or procedures for the Montréal embassy, as I went to Vancouver; but you should be able to find the information in the guides:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Canada&cty=Montreal

I am also unaware of the physicians that can perform the medical on that side of the country, but should be listed in the link above. You wont be able to schedule your medical at this stage, you will need to wait until you receive your noa2 (approval of I-129f). The medical is valid for one year. If you are unable to find proof of your vaccination records, you can have a titer test done (a blood test testing your immunity), and provide that for the medical. I would suggest waiting until closer to your medical.

Again, I would also suggest waiting to obtain your police record check; I was able to go to my local police station and have it in hand in 15 mins.

I can understand the excitement of filing and wanting to complete everything at once, but the only reason I suggest waiting is just in case there is a backlog or circumstances out of your control (knock on wood!), and if that does happen; you would have to possibly redo a titer test or police record check.

As for timelines, it really does vary from person to person. From filing to my poe was 6 months - 1 day, but I know other Canadians who waited 8-14 months...

Good luck on your journey!

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2013-02-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-02-26

I-129F RFE(s) : 2013-06-17

RFE Reply(s) : 2013-07-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-07-08

Interview Date : 2013-08-09

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2013-08-15

US Entry : 2013-08-17

Marriage : 2013-09-13

Employment Authorization Document

Date Filed : 2013-11-04

NOA Date : 2013-11-06

Bio. Appt. : 2013-12-24

Approved Date : 2013-01-10

Date Card Received : 2014-01-17

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2013-11-04

NOA Date : 2013-11-06

Bio. Appt. : 2013-12-24

Interview Date : 2014-02-06

Approved : Yes

Greencard Received: 2014-02-13

Timeline

Thank you so much for your reply!

The other question I have is when I'm contacted by the embassy do I submit my passport then? It's just I visit my fiance often and I plan to visit one more time prolly some time around September before the wedding in December, because my fiance would be moving. Do I not get to keep my passport while everything is being processed?

Also, What happens if my fiance and I get married in Canada and then he sponsors me from the States (R1?) Is that a better, safer way than K1?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you so much for your reply!

The other question I have is when I'm contacted by the embassy do I submit my passport then? It's just I visit my fiance often and I plan to visit one more time prolly some time around September before the wedding in December, because my fiance would be moving. Do I not get to keep my passport while everything is being processed?

Also, What happens if my fiance and I get married in Canada and then he sponsors me from the States (R1?) Is that a better, safer way than K1?

Hey I live in Ottawa too. You can get your police report same day if you go in. I went to the one on Bank Street (not the downtown location) and they last a year so long as you commit no crimes. Wait for your medical exam until closer to your interview date.

I don't know about k1 stuff but my husband and I are doing cr-1. We married at the courthouse in Ottawa in the fall of 2012 then had a large symbolic ceremony in the summer. It's not a really a matter of a safer choice, the biggest differences are cost, waiting, and ability to work. R-1's are taking a lot longer than k-1's at the moment but they cost less and you can work almost immediately. You'll have to go to MTL for the interview and exam.

Married: October 23, 2012
Sent I-130: March 4, 2013
NOA 1: March 6, 2013
Case Touched: April 5, 2013
Case transferred to 'local office': November 7, 2013
Case transferred to USCIS office: November 8, 2013

Hardcopy notification that case is at Nebraska office: November 15, 2013

NOA 2: January 23rd, 2014 (email notification)

Case shipped to NVC: January 24th, 2014

NVC received case: February 6, 2014

USCIS admitted to creating two case numbers for us and giving us the wrong one: March 20, 2014

USCIS faxed RFE to us: March 20, 2014

Submitted requested forms three days before deadline: March 23, 2014

NVC Ready for our case: May 27, 2014

NVC allowing us submit all forms and pay fees: July 27, 2014

Notice sponsor made error on I-864: September 27, 2014

Resubmitted sponsor I-864: September 28, 2014

Scan date: September 30, 2014

Notice of NVC processing delay: October 18, 20, and 21, 2014 (we got three)

CASE COMPLETE: December 2, 2014

medical: December 18, 2014

interview: January 5, 2015

You'll have to do the medical in Montreal or Toronto and you can't schedule it until your interview is scheduled. They will approve your visa at the interview and that's when you give them your passport (so they can put the visa in it) and you'll get it back within a week or two.

Timeline

Thank you so much everyone for your help.

We plan to file our petition on second week of April this year from Texas for K-1 visa. Do you think I can get my visa by November? We plan to get married in late November and be together for Christmas. I didn't realize how thorough and exhausting this would be until I started doing my research..

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

What the others said about having to go to Montreal for the interview and either Montreal or Toronto for the medical is correct. (I live in Ottawa too)

If you want to marry in November, apply now! We applied last August and I am just now at the stage where I can book my interview, and no interviews are available, so it may take a while for some slots to free up. Start the process and then you can slow it down when you get to the interview stage if you don't want to get the visa too quickly ... After the interview, from what I am told, if you are approved you get the visa very shortly afterwards. Once you are at the book-interview stage (also called "packet 4", but I am no expert on the lingo) you have up to one year to book your appointment, so you can slow down and take your time at that stage and know the rest of the paperwork is done.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Canada Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is country-specific, likely to get a better response at regional forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We plan to file our petition on second week of April this year from Texas for K-1 visa. Do you think I can get my visa by November? We plan to get married in late November and be together for Christmas. I didn't realize how thorough and exhausting this would be until I started doing my research..

If you file in April, you're leaving 8 months until Nov in the hopes that everything will process smoothly. I would file earlier if possible and when it comes time you can select the interview date that suits you (Yes...K1's book their own interviews at a certain stage). You have 6 months from the date of issue to enter the US so even if you received it in Sept, you could take your time to decide on an appropriate entry date. Many moons ago I entered on Nov 12 and we married on Nov 24th. Those 2 weeks flew by!

Gawd forbid you need to order birth certificates or other documentation - start getting those in order now.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

It is HIGHLY suggested NOT to make solid wedding plans until you get your visa.... My now husband is from Ottawa too and we went the K1 route... and back in 2011 he had to go to Montreal or Toronto for his medical ( he opted for Montreal). Our time from start to finish was 10 months before he had his visa in hand, no RFE's or anything.... it took 5 weeks AFTER his approved interview to get his passport, while others who interviewed on the same day got theirs in 10 days... you just never know, I swear they pull random files and do more extensive processing or there is just one really slow person in Montreal as it seems out of every group somebody has an unusually long wait for no apparent reason. As the poster above said... the sooner you file the better. At best the process takes 8 months... at BEST ....so November seems really to be pushing the limit.

Good luck on your journey!!!

Never trust the timelines this early on. When we filed it looked like it would be a 6-7 month process... ended up being 9 1/2 and VSC was getting slower and slower. We filed in Feb and had the visa in hand in November. We could have shaved a month off between NOA2 and P3, but you haven't even filed yet. I would do it ASAP if you are aiming for a November wedding, and make sure you have packet 3 ready to send in before you even get a request for it.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes like others have stated, don't make any plans! have been a few on here that did...and they were out some $$$$$$

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

File now.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you guys! Wow..this is...overwhelming!

I was looking at the checklist of all the records that are needed. I was born in Bangladesh and lived there till was 14. I have been living in Canada since. I am 26 now and visited Bangladesh only once for 2 weeks in the last 12 years. Am I going to need to get a police record from Bangladesh as well?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.