one...two...tree

Why is it so hard to find a good Filipino restaurant?

43 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

We will travel anywhere in the Continental US for some Inasal chicken and pork skewers! (and Halo Halo...)

I can't blame you! Inasal is just too good to not have for a long time lol. I haven't really tried out Filipino restaurants elsewhere aside from Florida, but it was really good too. I didn't expect it to be that good 😂

3 minutes ago, chxakx said:

I can't blame you! Inasal is just too good to not have for a long time lol. I haven't really tried out Filipino restaurants elsewhere aside from Florida, but it was really good too. I didn't expect it to be that good 😂

My wife and step kids actually found some things better here than in Manila.  Probably the different beef and pork we get here.  The flavor is better.  There was a pandesal place in Pateros that was also amazing.  I've been working on my pandesal recipe trying to recreate that.  No luck so far but I'm getting closer.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

23 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

My wife and step kids actually found some things better here than in Manila.  Probably the different beef and pork we get here.  The flavor is better.  There was a pandesal place in Pateros that was also amazing.  I've been working on my pandesal recipe trying to recreate that.  No luck so far but I'm getting closer.

That's really exciting to hear! It makes the thought of impending homesickness bearable lol. You'll get there eventually, with the pandesal. That's dedication right there!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, chxakx said:

Oh, okay. Thank you for letting me know! I hope they'll open a Mang Inasal soon as well 😂

Jollibee owns Mang Inasal so I would not be surprised if they show up in the states eventually.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Chow king as well with 14 stores on the west coast,  but not something to write about 

They also own smashburger 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

29 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Jollibee owns Mang Inasal so I would not be surprised if they show up in the states eventually.

Oh, right! I totally forgot about this!

15 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Chow king as well with 14 stores on the west coast,  but not something to write about 

They also own smashburger 

I didn’t even know Chowking made it in the US already 🤣 And I honestly never heard of Smashburger before, I had to look it up. But I miss Chinese buffets there a lot!

45 minutes ago, chxakx said:

But I miss Chinese buffets there a lot!

Sambokojin is amazing.  That is the best buffett I've seen in world.  Now I am really missing PI!!!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

3 hours ago, chxakx said:

Oh, right! I totally forgot about this!

I didn’t even know Chowking made it in the US already 🤣 And I honestly never heard of Smashburger before, I had to look it up. But I miss Chinese buffets there a lot!

We have some good Korean buffets here where I live that I frequent during lunch.

What's funny is that my wife misses when we had Chowking out in Los Angeles. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

7 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Sambokojin is amazing.  That is the best buffett I've seen in world.  Now I am really missing PI!!!

Haven't even heard of this place and I'm from here! 😂

4 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

We have some good Korean buffets here where I live that I frequent during lunch.

What's funny is that my wife misses when we had Chowking out in Los Angeles. 

Is it the same as Korean buffets here? All you can eat meat and side dishes? The one I saw wasn't, it was more of a Chinese restaurant, but they're a "Korean" restaurant so I was disappointed 😂

Edited by chxakx

8 hours ago, chxakx said:

Haven't even heard of this place and I'm from here! 😂

Is it the same as Korean buffets here? All you can eat meat and side dishes? The one I saw wasn't, it was more of a Chinese restaurant, but they're a "Korean" restaurant so I was disappointed 😂

Yeah they all you can eat regular and spicy Bulgogi then mostly sides. It's a small buffet but dang if it ain't good, and the spring rolls are awesome...…. 

We have a large asian supermarket about 5 miles from our house here in St. Louis. We go every Tuesday to restock the necessities.  My wife has also made some filipina friends here and we get together two or three times a month and have a Filipino food extravaganza)

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 7:51 AM, boris64 said:

We have a large asian supermarket about 5 miles from our house here in St. Louis. We go every Tuesday to restock the necessities.  My wife has also made some filipina friends here and we get together two or three times a month and have a Filipino food extravaganza)

I have yet to acquire the taste of Filipino dishes/food. As mentioned by another VJ earlier in this thread, I love my wife, but the cuisine is really not palatable as far as my taste buds go. My wife seems to enjoy it so that's all that matters!!!! LOL

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Up here at the top of the world in Utqiagvik (formerly known as Barrow), Alaska, there are no Filipino restaurants, but there are plenty of Filipinos! My wife has many friends and they put on huge feasts, especially for birthday parties, etc.

Anchorage has some decent asian food stores and some excellent restaurants: https://www.facebook.com/bahaykuboathomekadito/ - kinda pricey, but worth every penny. There's a bakery and asian store next door.

In the lower 48, Seafood City complexes are easy to find. We mostly shop for food there rather than eating, except for the BBQ area.

Edited by AKteacher

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

2010-03-02 I-129F Sent

2010-03-08 NOA1

2010-03-09 Check Cashed

2010-03-10 Case "touched"

2010-04-13 Case "touched"

2010-04-15 NOA2

2010-04-21 NVC Received

2010-06-01 K-1 Interview at US Embassy Manila

2010-06-08 Visa Issued

2010-07-08 POE: San Francisco, CA

2010-07-31 Married

2010-09-24 Sent AOS Package (I-185, I-765)

2010-09-27 AOS Package Received at Chicago Lockbox

2010-10-04 NOA (Notice of Receipt) date for I-485 & I-765

2010-10-07 Touch

2010-12-22 Biometrics

2010-12-22 I-485 Interview at Anchorage, AK

2010-12-27 2-yr Green Card Issued

2011-01-10 Green Card Received

2011-05-19 Vacation to Philippines

2011-07-02 Return from Philippines to US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.