DanielV

How long does first part of k1 visa process take?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I just signed up on this site, but have been reading posts for a while. I am 34 and met my fiance while I was living in Moldova for almost 2 years. We started dating, then living together, and eventually I asked her to marry me. We met via work (she worked for the company I was there doing consulting for). We were in no rush to file for k1 because I had residency and was planning on staying in Moldova till the spring of 2014. Unfortunately my residency did not get extended and now I am back in the states and waiting on my fiance to come to me.

On August 26th the USCIS accepted my I-129f form, then in October they asked for new passport style photos of me, which I sent back to them and they received on November 7th. The website says I should receive a written decision within 60 days of them receiving it, but still nothing. When I call they can't give me any info. Now we are over 5 months since first filed. I called last week and said it has been well past the 60 days they list on their website, and now past 5 months since we filed. They told me that their records show they are processing applications from August 16th and I should hear something any day. It has been another 10 days and still nothing. I am an emotional wreck and so is she. I had her quit her job because we thought this would be happening in January and the visa interview in February. Does anyone know of how I can find out a hard answer on when this will be approved? Or timelines of how long their applications took? Any info would be helpful on this subject, or advice you can offer.

On top of everything else, I now have to go to South America for work and planning when my fiance will arrive, and my travels is really adding to my stress level. Please please give me some insight into what is happening or what I should be doing.

Thanks,

DanielV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

how long? depends on:

1. length of queue at that service center and

2. your place in the queue and

3. the count of adjudicators assigned to yer petition type for the season.

Seasons change, so keep an eye peeled.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks Darnell, hopefully someone has recently gotten a k1 through the Texas service center and can tell me how long they had to wait. This whole process is crazy to me. I can't believe that any two idiots can find each other and get married in the US so easy, and someone who wants to marry a non-US citizen has to deal with this crazy long process. Here's keeping my fingers crossed that I hear something back any day. Or hopefully before I have to leave and travel for work again.

Would getting my congressman to write an official congressional letter of inquiry help move this along? Or do you think it would just make the people in the USCIS office mad? It has already been 5 months and 2 weeks, I am so miserable with out her, together everyday for almost a year, and then 3 months of separation sucks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from "Introducing Our Members" forum to the USCIS Service Centers forum -- topic chiefly involves times of processing in general. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Dave,

You are making me really nervous here. Is there a reason your has taken 10 months and not gotten a decision yet? That seems way out of the ordinary and I am hoping it is not a current trend.

Thanks,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

No rhyme no reason... It is very random and one persons experience is not indicative of what your will be (even from the same service center). You have the right to ask your congressperson for help, but unless it is outside their normal process times, they can't really do anything, however, for many, once a congressional inquiry is filed, sometimes it lights a fire to pick up,and look at those files... But call and ask for a tier 2 and see what is going on... But I believe that you should be getting close and hear something any day... Have faith!

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had her quit her job because we thought this would be happening in January and the visa interview in February.

Terrible idea. Never quit jobs/make travel arrangements before you have the visa in hand, or at least been through the interview and got approved, in the case of a job.

Does anyone know of how I can find out a hard answer on when this will be approved?

Nope. It will be done when it's done. 5 months is the goal, but they could take 7-9. You see some people getting approval in a few weeks, but those are flukes and not indicative of real processing times.

Congressional inquiry won't do anything because you're still within normal processing times.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.