Hugosoto

Widowed on a complicated situation

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, my case is a bit strange as complicated. 6 years ago i got married and my wife was petition me through the Cuban Adjustment act but only 3 months after our marriage she passed away, my first interview was postponed and i got a letter stating that i could not complete the petition since the petitioner was deceased, my lawyer filed an appeal and i got an interview but the official asked me many things that i really didn't know and also being married for only 3 months i had almost no written proofs, so i got a letter saying that i was denied the petition and that was suspected of sham marriage, that was 5 years ago now i been with a girl for 3 years and i'm planning to get married again and she wants to petition me (she's an American citizen) but i don't know if i can do it or how can i find out what happened with my old case.

Edited by Hugosoto

Are you in US or back in your country?

You will be under a lots of scrutiny since you were suspected of sham marriage by USCIS.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi, my case is a bit strange as complicated. 6 years ago i got married and my wife was petition me through the Cuban Adjustment act but only 3 months after our marriage she passed away, my first interview was postponed and i got a letter stating that i could not complete the petition since the petitioner was deceased, my lawyer filed an appeal and i got an interview but the official asked me many things that i really didn't know and also being married for only 3 months i had almost no written proofs, so i got a letter saying that i was denied the petition and that was suspected of sham marriage, that was 5 years ago now i been with a girl for 3 years and i'm planning to get married again and she wants to petition me (she's an American citizen) but i don't know if i can do it or how can i find out what happened with my old case.

You can't find out because you weren't the petitioner. Since you know they suspected you of a sham marriage be prepared to prove this one is a bonafide relationship. That's all you can do.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Are you in US or back in your country?

You will be under a lots of scrutiny since you were suspected of sham marriage by USCIS.

I'm in the US

**Post moved from K1 to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits

Thanks! I realized i posted in the wrong sub after i posted.

Uphill battle, be ready with a lot of proof.

What proofs can i get besides the bills, bank accounts, and house lease?

Thanks for all your responses!

I'm a bit confused, as the Cuban Adjustment Act does not require marriage. If you're a Cuban citizen, you get around many of the requirements needed by other applicants for a green card.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/other-ways-get-green-card/green-card-cuban-native-or-citizen

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Timeline

You'll be scrutinized but it can be done Get an atty

you wont get all you need from a forum although it helps

there is room for arguments from an atty, after 3 months

of marriage one cannot know everything about the other,

be prepared to show this marriage is very bonafide., also

as a Cuban don't you have some props? ...get started before

Fidel & Raul passes , after that I think deportations to Cuban

will be in high gear

I'm a bit confused, as the Cuban Adjustment Act does not require marriage. If you're a Cuban citizen, you get around many of the requirements needed by other applicants for a green card.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/other-ways-get-green-card/green-card-cuban-native-or-citizen

I'm not a Cuban citizen, my spouse was, and according to the Cuban adjustment act they can petition their spouse even if the marriage happens after they are given the refugee status.

I'm not a Cuban citizen, my spouse was, and according to the Cuban adjustment act they can petition their spouse even if the marriage happens after they are given the refugee status.

OK, now it makes sense to me.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Are you in removal proceedings when your first petition got denied?

You might want to hire a lawyer to dig out your old case before filing anything.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Are you in removal proceedings when your first petition got denied?

You might want to hire a lawyer to dig out your old case before filing anything.

yes.gifyes.gifyes.gif Given the time frame, if they moved him into deportation proceedings, the deportation order is already standing. Then its definitely lawyer up time.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Timeline

Hugo,

if you filed for Adjustment of Status, and it was denied based on assumed fraud, then that's not a time where the USCIS closes the file and walks away. Almost automatically the next step would be to have you ordered removed from the United States, and based on your means of entry (VWP or B2) this can be done by the I.O. or requires a judge to sign off on.

If you have been ordered removed, and somehow this process has escaped your attention, you'll be arrested the moment you show your face at the USCIS interview. You'll be put in detention and you'll be faster on your way home than you can imagine, again, because the paperwork for you has already all been taken care of years ago.

But even if that's not the case, if you apply for a job somewhere, and the guy who's doing the hiring tells you that he believes you are a liar and makes a note in your resume, and a few years later you apply for a job there again, and the next interviewer reads his collegues notes, what do you think are your chances of being hired?

Same here.

What you need to do is retain an AILA attorney and have him look into your USCIS file based on the Freedom of Information Act. If you have been ordered deported way back when, plan on spending many thousands of dollars with very little hope of success. If you have not been ordered deported, I suggest you and your newly wed wife spend considerable time together and gather a truck load of substantial evidence before you file for AoS.

Edited by Brother Hesekiel

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

You probably was ordered removal in absentia regarding your previous AOS. The law states If the alien gets married before receiving the NTA then he/she can adjust status,but if the marriage was after receiving NTA the alien CANNOT adjust status at all. Your case is even more complicated cause they considered you had a sham marriage, then your chance is basically non existent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.