AleGwi

Flu shot really needed for AOS on K1?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had my flu shot AFTER my medical in London. It was the only shot I needed so I chose to get this after as per the regulations of the K1 visa medical stipulating that I only need to get it done before the AOS. But now my DS-3025 is technically "incomplete" because under the flu tab it says "K1"

I have been told by many (including the consular officer at the embassy) that the flu vaccination is not "really" required. Or if it is, only at certain times. I know the flu season is something like november to march. However, what does this mean and how does it affect if I need it or not?

I need a certain/sure answer on this now as I am getting a lot of "I thinks" which is helpful, but they are all conflicting.

It says influenza is on the list of vaccination requirements, so I would therefore imagine it IS required, no exceptions, meaning I need to pay a civil surgeon to verify my flu certificate and vax records. I don't want to go through all the hassle of getting a civil surgeon to transcribe or authorise this for a fee, just for a flu shot if it isn't required. It is costing enough for the AOS as it is!

Also, I am pretty sure this is correct but since I had my medical in London, I do not need to complete and submit form I-693 with my AOS package correct?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Posting response from USCIS website.

http://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements

Q. When does the flu season start for purposes of the seasonal flu vaccine requirement? Since the seasonal flu vaccine is required, do I have to get the seasonal flu vaccine if it is not the flu season?

A. For purposes of the immigration medical examination, the flu season starts on October 1 and ends on March 31 each year. If your immigration medical examination is during this period, you are required to have the seasonal flu vaccine. If you have an immigration medical examination completed between April 1 and September 30, when it is not the flu season for immigration purposes, you are not required to document that you have received the seasonal flu vaccine.

Edited by jdh

July 2005 - met my awesome, hot, amazing love in Lousiana.
July 2006 - Married said love and moved to Canada.
June 2011 - Entered US to visit family, decided to stay.
Feb. 2012 - Sent paperwork to Chicago.

May 2012 - Received green card.

Day 0 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox - 02/27/2012
Day 2 - UPS Tracking Confirmation - 02/29/2012
Day 4 - NOA Emails Received - 03/02/2012
Day 7 - All Checks Cashed - 03/05/2012
Day 11 - Hard Copy NOA's Received - 03/09/2012
Day 11 - Biometrics Appointment Received - 03/09/2012
--------- - Booked for - 04/03/2012 (day 36)
Day 35 - Early Biometricts Walk-in - 04/02/2012
Day 44 - Received Appointment Letter - 04/11/2012
Day 58 - EAD Approval Online - 04/25/2012
Day 63 - EAD in the mail - 04/30/2012
Day 65 - EAD in hand - 05/02/2012
Day 77 - AOS Interview - 05/14/2012
Day 77 - AOS Approved!
Day 84 - Green Card In Hand - 05/21/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Nich-Nick has a very comprehensive post on this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/335754-ds-3025-complete-or-not/?p=4971318

So, assuming it was flu season when you got your K1 medical exam done, you should have asked the clinic to hold your medical exams until after you got the flu shot, and then emailed/faxed them the proof of it so they could include it on the DS-3025 before you left the UK.

Since your DS-3025 is incomplete, you need to get a civil surgeon to transcribe your vaccinations (including the flu shot) onto the I-693. You don't need to get a new medical exam unless it has been a year since your K1 exam. See this thread for civil surgeons who will do just the transcription: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/231026-civil-surgeons-who-dont-rip-you-off/

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Flu shot is required for medicals done between Oct 1 to March 31. You are correct that your DS-3025 is not complete to be used for AOS. If you go to a civil surgeon and show him your flu shot proof and the DS-3025, he can complete the I-693 immunization record.

However-- if you sent DS-3025 and the AOS case happens to get adjudicated when it is not flu season (April 1-Sept 30), then because a flu shot is not required at that time, you would not be required to have one, even if it was required on the medical date of record. That's how the field manual reads. Please understand, it is not when you mail in your AOS. it is when the adjudicator pulls your file off the stack to review it for approval. So first question is "Do you think you will get AOS approval before Sept 30?"

If your case get adjudicated without interview and it is flu season, you could get an RFE to submit an I-693. If an interview at your local office, they could go say get your immunizations complete and mail it to this office, then I can approve you. Or they could even not notice it.

So the most correct thing is get an I-693 now. Or if you don't mind a short delay if your case is not reviewed until next October, then take a chance with what you've got. Pay a civil surgeon only if you are forced to.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Flu shot is required for medicals done between Oct 1 to March 31. You are correct that your DS-3025 is not complete to be used for AOS. If you go to a civil surgeon and show him your flu shot proof and the DS-3025, he can complete the I-693 immunization record.

However-- if you sent DS-3025 and the AOS case happens to get adjudicated when it is not flu season (April 1-Sept 30), then because a flu shot is not required at that time, you would not be required to have one, even if it was required on the medical date of record. That's how the field manual reads. Please understand, it is not when you mail in your AOS. it is when the adjudicator pulls your file off the stack to review it for approval. So first question is "Do you think you will get AOS approval before Sept 30?"

If your case get adjudicated without interview and it is flu season, you could get an RFE to submit an I-693. If an interview at your local office, they could go say get your immunizations complete and mail it to this office, then I can approve you. Or they could even not notice it.

So the most correct thing is get an I-693 now. Or if you don't mind a short delay if your case is not reviewed until next October, then take a chance with what you've got. Pay a civil surgeon only if you are forced to.

Ok yes thank you. I think I have seen this before. With what you have just said in mind then...

I will be mailing my AOS next week (marriage certificate is available on tuesday) So we will be sending it then.

My medical was in November 2013 (in flu season)

if they take 3 months to process it will be April when they do (not flu season)

I don't know what to do for the best. I don't really want anymore delays as I have a possible job offer here to that may be willing to wait for me. However, I don't want to spend anymore money. We are already getting bled dry by the AOS as it is. $1000 what is with that?!?!

PS. I am a 6ft 5" 24 year old male in great condition. Like I care about the flu... Pleeeeease -_- stupid requirement :(

Rant over!

I don't know what to do for the best. I don't really want anymore delays as I have a possible job offer here to that may be willing to wait for me. However, I don't want to spend anymore money. We are already getting bled dry by the AOS as it is. $1000 what is with that?!?!

Rant over!

You should have your EAD approved well before an AOS adjudicator gets into the nitty gritty of your shots. If you get an RFE, it would be a late one when they are about to approve the greencard. You are applying for EAD and AP along with your AOS. Yes?

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

You should have your EAD approved well before an AOS adjudicator gets into the nitty gritty of your shots. If you get an RFE, it would be a late one when they are about to approve the greencard. You are applying for EAD and AP along with your AOS. Yes?

So do you think I should just risk it for a biscuit then? Send them what I have and hope for the best and deal with the RFE if and when it comes? I have the certificate of the vaccination and a list of vaccination records from my GP with the batch numbers and dates on, on letter headed paper and signed. I was just going to send copies of all of those along with my 3025. Since it is only for the flu shot...

And yeah I am applying form them all at the same time. Although, whilst it would be nice to have the AP, I don't have any planned visits out of the country and it asks for specific dates so is it even worth bothering, I take it it's not something I can just have "in case" I want to leave sometime for a bit.

Your choice whether to risk it. Don't send jab records to USCIS. That's why they contract medical to doctors. They want it all on a DS-3025 or I-693. They don't read notes from Uk doctors.

You can have AP for no reason or "in case of emergency" and say unknown for dates. There are sad stories where Mum or Nanny died suddenly and K1s were stuck not able to leave because they didn't have any plans to go back so soon. Apply for it.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I thought the flu shot was only required for people up tp the age of 18 and then again for everyone over 50 or 55, something like that. Has there been a change in the regulations?

-

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I thought the flu shot was only required for people up tp the age of 18 and then again for everyone over 50 or 55, something like that. Has there been a change in the regulations?

Not really recent. It happened in 2010. Anyone over 6 months is required to get the flu shot during flu season, http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/updates/action-recommendations-flu-vaccine.html

~ Moved from K-1 Process to AOS from Family Based Visas - topic is AOS, not K-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Not really recent. It happened in 2010. Anyone over 6 months is required to get the flu shot during flu season, http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/updates/action-recommendations-flu-vaccine.html

~ Moved from K-1 Process to AOS from Family Based Visas - topic is AOS, not K-1 ~

Ok thank you! :) I went and got my flu shot today.

Is there then a newer form than this http://germany.usembassy.gov/visa/files/iv_immunizations.pdf ?

Since this still says no flu shot required in a certain age group, but this is the only one on the official consulate page.

I wish they would at least update their stuff, if they change it. It makes everything so confusing... :(

-

Ok thank you! :) I went and got my flu shot today.

Is there then a newer form than this http://germany.usembassy.gov/visa/files/iv_immunizations.pdf ?

Since this still says no flu shot required in a certain age group, but this is the only one on the official consulate page.

I wish they would at least update their stuff, if they change it. It makes everything so confusing... :(

The one posted on the London website is also out of date. This is the full immunization discussion from CDC http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/vaccination-panel-technical-instructions.html

If you want to get to the table only, then hit the link called "Table...." or scroll way, way down to the end of the page.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

The one posted on the London website is also out of date. This is the full immunization discussion from CDC http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/vaccination-panel-technical-instructions.html

If you want to get to the table only, then hit the link called "Table...." or scroll way, way down to the end of the page.

Thank you so much! That helped a lot :)

-

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok yes thank you. I think I have seen this before. With what you have just said in mind then...

I will be mailing my AOS next week (marriage certificate is available on tuesday) So we will be sending it then.

My medical was in November 2013 (in flu season)

if they take 3 months to process it will be April when they do (not flu season)

PS. I am a 6ft 5" 24 year old male in great condition. Like I care about the flu... Pleeeeease sleep.png stupid requirement sad.png

Rant over!

AleGwi, I just paid for my wife's AOS, and I'm pretty sure you're going to want to send a check for $1,070, it breaks down as a $985 for the AOS, and $85 for the Biometrics.

If you already knew the total was $1,070, sorry for bringing it to your attention, I just wanted to try to save you a headache later on :)

Take care!!!

Our Story
[February 23rd 2011] Met online
[March 2012 - June 2012] made travel plans, bought plane ticket, planned Vietnamese tea ceremony, bought engagement ring / wedding rings
[July 16th 2012] Met each other for the first time in person in Vietnam
[July 29th 2012] Had non-legal Vietnamese Tea Ceremony in her hometown
[August 16th, 2012] Left Vietnam to come back to the US
[August 20th - September 2nd] Prepared 1-129F packet to send to USCIS

K1 Journey
[september 4th 2012] I-129F packet sent
[september 9th, 2012] received text message from USCIS, stating that I-129F was accepted on Sept 7th
[september 11th,2012] received hard copy of the NOA1 in the mail
[April 17th, 2013] received text message on cell phone of NOA2
[April 22nd, 2013] received hard copy of the NOA2 paper in the mail
[April 24th, 2013] NVC sent packet to Ho Chi Minh City - US Embassy
[May 13th, 2013] Fiance received packet 3 from US Embassy in the mail
[May 20th, 2013] Fiance mailed completed packet 3 back to US Embassy
[July 9th, 2013] Fiance received packet 4 from US Embassy in the mail
[August 16th, 2013] Interview date, Approved!!!!

[sept 11th, 2013] My Fiance left Vietnam
[sept 12th, 2013] My Fiance arrived in Chicago and I was anxiously waiting at the gate for her.
[sept 25th, 2013] We got married

AOS journey starts
[Nov 14th, 2013] sent the AOS packet [i-485, I-765, I-131]
[Nov 16th, 2013] package was delivered
[Nov 22nd, 2013] received NOA1 via text message
[Nov 25th, 2013] check cleared my bank
[Nov 28th, 2013] received hard copy of NOA1 in the mail
[Dec 5th, 2013] received Biometrics appointment letter
[Dec 18th, 2013] Biometrics appointment
[Jan 17th, 2014] EAD/AP - card in the mail
[March 3rd, 2014] received I-797 in the mail, stating that my wife's AOS was approved, and to expect her green card in 3 weeks
[March 7th, 2014] received green card in the mail - we did not have an AOS interview

Having a Baby!!!
[October 28th, 2014] Pregnancy test is positive
[July 6th, 2015] our son is born

Removal of Conditions journey starts
[Dec 8th, 2015] sent the ROC packet I-751
[Dec 10th, 2015] NOA1
{Dec.14th,2015} Checked cleared my bank
[Jan 5th, 2016] Biometrics appointment
[June 1st, 2016] Notified that new card in production
[June 8th, 2016] Notified that card has been mailed
[June 10th, 2016] Received 10 year green card in the mail

US Naturalization (N-400) journey starts
[Feb. 10th, 2017] sent the US Naturalization paperwork - N-400
[Feb         , 2017] NOA1
[Feb.        , 2017] Check cleared my bank
[March      ,2017] Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.