2,976 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi every one

Just the day after my awful unsuccessful interview for green card ,I had this message on the USCIS site.

"Initial Review

On June 5, 2014, your address was changed relating to the I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS that you filed. Please check our website at www.uscis.gov for further updates on your case. Please wait until the end of normal processing time before calling customer service at 1-800-375-5283 for live assistance"

What that means?Till now I did not receive denial letter or request for more documents or any other update although it is now more than 8 days from my interview.Also my address was the same and still the same and never changed so what this message means??????????

I am checking my mail and USCIS.gov like crazy 3 times per day and nothing other than the message that I quoted.Is there anything to do now to see what is going on?

It doesn't mean anything, other than they were working on your case in their system. There is nothing you can do but wait, unfortunately.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Approved in 52 days..no RFEs

Filled March 2014 approved May 2014

wow that's amazing! Are you a male or female? Did you have any help filing your application? Can you please give us a bit more info about your case?

Filed: Other Timeline

Im male 30 years old..timeline:

March 31st sent out VAWA I360

April 7th received receipt and PFD

May 23rd approval received no RFEs

I had a lawyer..I submitted prove of bona fide marriage..lease agrement..joint bank statement..joint car insurance..marriage certificate..huge weeding ceremony pics and invitations..affidavits from friends and relatives

Prove of my ex spouse citizenship..passport..SSC..naturalization certificate..ID

prove of mental and emotional abuse..a very very detailed declaration...therapist evaluation..police report..hospital report(i broke down they retained me at the crisis center for 2 nights)..affidavits from my parents overseas..letters from my work stating that i messed up at work after being good employee.

Other documents..my passport..i94..EAD..SSC..ID..prove of my new address

Prove of good moral charcter..police clearence..affidavites from friends and managers at work.

Ive been honest in every word I wrote down in my declaration..been detsiled as much as I could..I drew a picture of what happend to the reader describing every single incident and how it effected me mentally and emotionally..describe ur feelings..fearniess..anxiety..worthlesness..lonliness..how deep was the pain..souls bleed is more hurtfull than anything else.

Remember be honest cuz VAWA officers are trained to find out about lies..just be honest and detailed.

Good luck everybody

A little more than a year ago i came to this forum for advice. I was met with different opinions but it all worked out in the end.

Thanks to Sandra, I was able to file my petition and it was approved in 3 months. Again i followed her advice and filed all the remaining paper work needed. Again it was accepted, with no issues.

I have my interview soon, and its thanks to her that i was able to continue through it all. My journey is not over yet but i do need to relay my thanks to her.

Thank you Sandra, You are wonderful, you are the best! Thanks for your help everyday, as i read your responses to other members i get my questions answered.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Sandra, I sent my medical last week to immigration. My question is does the officer have to review my case one more time now? Or once they have what they need they will approve me?

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I hope this is right place to post! I wanted to refrain from starting a new thread altogether!

Quick back story. I'm from the UK, I married a US citizen. We filed for AOS, and after going through 10 months of abuse she did what she had threatened to do - and walked away from our marriage the day after our Greencard interview date was set. In the process I lost my home (the lease was in her name), all my belongings (She changed the locks and the police couldn't get in the property without her there, of which she never was as moved a week later), all my savings (I transferred them to our joint account, of which she was the primary account holder as I didn't have a SSN when we opened it). After a month of homelessness, I finally started getting back on my feet. I had my EAD, and my SSN by this point, so managed to get a small job, which afforded me small place to live, to eat, and to start piecing things back together. I left the job before my EAD expired (September 2013), partly in due to it expiring - mainly due to my fear of leaving my apartment and walking anywhere and being anywhere that wasn't my home, through fear of running into her, her family or her friends.

Fast forward to now. I was always aware of VAWA, and had been advised to file, however I never had the finances to pay for a lawyer, and I didn't know where to begin. I've been in a relationship for the last 6 months, with an incredible human being, who I was fortunate enough to accept everything that had happened in the past, and has helped me to get to a point of figuring out how to start filing for VAWA. I have most of the information, and I will be filing without a lawyer. Some of it I have under control - other parts Im still unsure on, but there seems to be a wealth of info here....So wish me luck!

A couple of questions to get started.

1.From beginning to end, how long should it take me to file (As in get everything together to file).

Not working for 9 months has me not only financially strained, but mentally. I'm looking forward to filing, and hopefully receiving another EAD so I can begin to work again!

2. What is the current time frame roughly does anyone know? So from filing, through to approval or denial?

3. I haven't done much research in the realm of denials (trying to keep positive). What is the procedure if denied? Is there an appeal process?

4. Knowing that my wife left our marriage a year and half ago, am I still ultimately able to file VAWA?

I don't know my current legal status. Since our break, I attended the interview alone, and I have since not heard from USCIS regarding my status. I got one letter stating I had a new interview date in April 2013. The day after I got another telling me this had been cancelled. I haven't checked my status online, through fear of alerting the USCIS to something and having the ball start rolling.

I understand a lot of people recommend just heading back to your home country after an event like this. This is something I have thought about, and would be happy to do, however there was one problem. I was forced to overstay my VWP that I entered on before marrying. We married before my 90 days expired, but then failed to file until 177 days later, due to her parents delaying this process as much as possible, getting their W2 support documents to us to support the petition (I later found out, this was done on purpose to ensure I had overstayed so that if any marriage problems raised down the line, it was cause grief for myself - which is ultimately has.) Not to mention I left my entire life back when I originally moved here 4 years ago, and everything in my life is here, including my new relationship, which I currently value dearly.

So yes Hi! Any help with those questions would be greatly appreciated! I will have plenty more over the coming days Im sure!! Especially with regards tony possible overstay above - but this is something I will most likely start a new topic for soon to try and get to the bottom of just where I currently stand legally, and with my overstay!

Thank you for listening!!

On what basis would you file for VAWA?

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Timeline

1.From beginning to end, how long should it take me to file (As in get everything together to file?

Depends on how long it takes you to get evidence together and if you are filing due to emotional abuse you need to start seeing a psycologist and see them for at least 5 sessions.

Not working for 9 months has me not only financially strained, but mentally. I'm looking forward to filing, and hopefully receiving another EAD so I can begin to work again!

2. What is the current time frame roughly does anyone know? So from filing, through to approval or denial? 5 months but some have been approved in 60 days.

3. I haven't done much research in the realm of denials (trying to keep positive). What is the procedure if denied? Is there an appeal process?

Yes but most people just refile.

4. Knowing that my wife left our marriage a year and half ago, am I still ultimately able to file VAWA?

Has your wife filed for divorce?

April 2014 I-360, I-765, and I-485 mailed.
May 2014 EAD Received

July 2014 1-360 Approved

Waiting for interview

Timeline

On what basis would you file for VAWA?

I will be filing due to domestic violence, both physical and emotional. I don't really want to mention it all here if I can avoid it - but I understand just what needs to be proven, and how strong the case needs to be for this. I have spoken with a few lawyers, and with my own research, I'm confident with the evidence I can provide that the case will be strong enough. Obviously, I don't know for sure until the outcome.

Timeline

1.From beginning to end, how long should it take me to file (As in get everything together to file?

Depends on how long it takes you to get evidence together and if you are filing due to emotional abuse you need to start seeing a psycologist and see them for at least 5 sessions.

2. What is the current time frame roughly does anyone know? So from filing, through to approval or denial?

5 months but some have been approved in 60 days.

Yes but most people just refile.

Has your wife filed for divorce?

1. Yes, I will be filing with emotional abuse as part of the package. Seeing a psychologist is on the list of things I need to get started ASAP, I will be seeing them for as many sessions as possible. I have a collection of evidence already, there are still a few bits to get, but hopefully they won't take too long!

2. 5 months doesn't seem so long, for a complete approval? for some reason, I anticipated much longer, as I'm in Los Angeles, and my initial green card interview took over 5 months to be scheduled!

3. Sorry for the confusion - so my I-360 is denied, I can just refile? Would there be much point in refiling, if denied, as nothing new on my part would be added?

4. I believe so. It's something I avoided doing, as I didn't know the VAWA process, and I didn't know what harm it would cause. I know she has at least tried to start the process, as I had one call from a lawyer asking me to visit his office to pick up divorce papers, but I never set a date and never attended, again, not trusting her or or family in anyway, I didn't want to make them aware of my location at a specific time and date. This was back in November 2013. I haven't heard anything again since.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.