tadli77

N-400 Question. Separated then Divorced now filing for Naturalization.

11 posts in this topic

I have applied for Naturalization based on 5 years since I received my Permanent Residence (Green) Card.

I was married to a US Citizen in 2007 and received my PR Card in 2008.

My husband lost his job due to the recession and since I was a new immigrant, I found it hard to find work, too. We experienced problems with money (no income) and our marriage started falling apart. In 2009 we tried a trial separation but we reconciled shortly afterwards. Removal of Condition was in 2010. My husband and I got divorced a year later in 2011.

My question is this. I have sent my N-400 with a copy of our divorce decree. My interview is scheduled for February 18. Would my divorce be an issue for the IO? The divorce decree states that we were separated in 2009 for a few months (before the removal of conditions) but as divorce decrees go ... it doesn't specify details of our reconciliation only that the divorce was granted later in 2011.

So we were married from 2007 to 2011... I was brought here by our marriage, which was in good faith. We dated for two years before getting married (albeit, long distance with visits to each country) but I of course do not want to raise suspicions.

Are there any people out there with similar experiences?

Could you share with me how your interviews went?

I have not remarried.

I am still good friends with my ex, although we no longer live in the same state.

Please help.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My situation was pretty much the same as yours. I have only had my finger printing done, so i cant answer your question... but i hope that knowing you're not alone helps a bit haha..keep me posted

k-1

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays tongue.png)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Medical Exam: 2008-01-24

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11---APPROVEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry : 2008-02-20

Church Marriage : 2008-05-03

POE @ Edmonton International Airport: 2008-02-20

Courthouse marriage: 2008-02-26

ROC

ROC Filed with CSC: 2010-04-13

NOA1 recieved in mail dated: 2010-04-15

Biometrics Appointment: 2010-05-17

Approval Notice: 2010-08-03

Card Received: 2010-08-13

N-400:

N-400 sent 2013-12-02

NOA:|12/09/13|

BIOMETRICS:|12/27/13|

IN-LINE for INTERVIEW 12/31/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

if you are filing n-400 on the base of 5-years of residency it's shouldn't be a problem.however,make sure you have your paperwork straight,taxes for 3 years ,mortgages,utility bills etc.

My situation was pretty much the same as yours. I have only had my finger printing done, so i cant answer your question... but i hope that knowing you're not alone helps a bit haha..keep me posted

David,

I really appreciate the message. Glad to hear that I am not alone in this. And, yes, it does help to know that. So, thank you!

I will definitely keep you posted!

if you are filing n-400 on the base of 5-years of residency it's shouldn't be a problem.however,make sure you have your paperwork straight,taxes for 3 years ,mortgages,utility bills etc.

This is what I was thinking, too! I hope it won't be a problem. I will prepare myself for the worst, I suppose.

How is your Naturalization process coming along?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

David,

I really appreciate the message. Glad to hear that I am not alone in this. And, yes, it does help to know that. So, thank you!

I will definitely keep you posted!

This is what I was thinking, too! I hope it won't be a problem. I will prepare myself for the worst, I suppose.

How is your Naturalization process coming along?

yeah don't worry,i think it doesn't matter if you're married until you file on the base of marriage to USC,so you're gonna be just fine.plus i've heard so many times that processing dates for those who file on 5-years residency are better and faster,and of course-less paperwork and more approvals.

Thanks for asking,i'm waiting for the interview to be scheduled. :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

50% of marriages don't seem to work out, shouldn't have a problem provided you didn't marry a person from your home country and trying to bring that person here.

Lack of money is one of the major reasons, doesn't help to have a government that is shipping our jobs overseas. Taking it out on your spouse or kids sure isn't the answer. With this current crunch done by crooks leading this country, in some cases brought families together where kids move in with their parents or vice-versa. Have to pay you property taxes or get kicked out of your home you worked so hard for.

Or get screwed on mortgages by these crooks on Wall Street. Certainly get an interest in politics and ironically, we are about 98% of the population letting these crooks get away with murder. Why is it this way?

Hey tadli77, i am on the same boat as you are.

I had my interview on November 22nd, 2013. The IO officer asked me a lot of question about my divorce. My Original GC was based on my marriage to a US citizen. The IO told me that he suspect on me because there is a 37 days gap between the day i received my 10-years GC(Remove the condition on my GC before divorce) and divorce filing date. I pass my interview but at the end of the interview, he said that we need to review your documents and it will take 3 to 4 weeks. its been 10 weeks now but still i have not heard anything from USCIS. Our marriage was in good faith for 2 and half years but we had some family issues between us and it was all started in December 2010 and we got a divorce in february, 2011. So, we decided to go for divorce and end our marriage relationship.

I have the originals of all document i submitted, when i filed for removing the condition on my GC.

1) Apartment lease join agreement,

2) driving lisance copy showing our same address

3) join Health insurance

4) join bank account

5) join credit card

6) join auto insurance card

7) my 401(K) account showing that she was my 100% beneficiary

8) couple of photos of our trip together

9) Copy of last two Mobile Bill statements from AT & T showing a joint account

10) Copy of last two statements from The Illuminating Company-a FirstEnergy company. etc.....

I am on my 10th week now...but still waiting for something to come up from uscis. I am tired of waiting..I did call uscis 800 numbers 3 times after my interview to till date. Last friday i called them and i was on hold for 4 hours and then i was finally able to speak to 2-tier IO and he told me that your application currently in queue. I asked him howmuch time it would take approximately? The IO said you should wait atleast 120 days from the interview date. There are other applicants ahead of you and having a same situation as i do. Then he said wait atleast 90 days.

God knows what to do and what will happen. I am really tired now for waiting so long for them to just review my documents. Even if they sent me something i would be ok and be relaxed but they did not change my online status which is still in testing and review or did not sent me any RFE documents or something else.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hey tadli77, i am on the same boat as you are.

I had my interview on November 22nd, 2013. The IO officer asked me a lot of question about my divorce. My Original GC was based on my marriage to a US citizen. The IO told me that he suspect on me because there is a 37 days gap between the day i received my 10-years GC(Remove the condition on my GC before divorce) and divorce filing date. I pass my interview but at the end of the interview, he said that we need to review your documents and it will take 3 to 4 weeks. its been 10 weeks now but still i have not heard anything from USCIS. Our marriage was in good faith for 2 and half years but we had some family issues between us and it was all started in December 2010 and we got a divorce in february, 2011. So, we decided to go for divorce and end our marriage relationship.

I have the originals of all document i submitted, when i filed for removing the condition on my GC.

1) Apartment lease join agreement,

2) driving lisance copy showing our same address

3) join Health insurance

4) join bank account

5) join credit card

6) join auto insurance card

7) my 401(K) account showing that she was my 100% beneficiary

8) couple of photos of our trip together

9) Copy of last two Mobile Bill statements from AT & T showing a joint account

10) Copy of last two statements from The Illuminating Company-a FirstEnergy company. etc.....

I am on my 10th week now...but still waiting for something to come up from uscis. I am tired of waiting..I did call uscis 800 numbers 3 times after my interview to till date. Last friday i called them and i was on hold for 4 hours and then i was finally able to speak to 2-tier IO and he told me that your application currently in queue. I asked him howmuch time it would take approximately? The IO said you should wait atleast 120 days from the interview date. There are other applicants ahead of you and having a same situation as i do. Then he said wait atleast 90 days.

God knows what to do and what will happen. I am really tired now for waiting so long for them to just review my documents. Even if they sent me something i would be ok and be relaxed but they did not change my online status which is still in testing and review or did not sent me any RFE documents or something else.

Hello if the IO told you that your application is in Que that means they approved your application and you are in line for the oath. Now how long you should wait depends on how busy your office is. In February 2nd I would be waiting for a month since interview. On February 6 th I would be waiting a month since they put me in que.

The IO don't really like seeing green card through marriage but applying for naturalization and divorced. Their purpose is to catch if somebody is lying in this last step, because once you are a citizen they have to take you to court to revoke your citizenship if they catch a lie on the application after approval. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to provide an update.

I had my interview today in Kansas City, MO, and after about 15 minutes of answering questions about history and civics, passing the English reading and writing test, and verifying that all the information on my N400 was correct -- I passed!!! I am being recommended for naturalization and my oath taking ceremony is in two months!

The IO did not ask any questions about my divorce from my ex husband, other than verifying the fact that I am indeed a divorcee. I said yes and she moved on to the next questions.

I feel so relieved and I cannot thank everyone who I have talked to on VisaJourney.com enough. You have all been a great source of valuable information, strength and hope.

To everyone else still waiting for their naturalization, the finish line is close!!! Keep pushing forward!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I wanted to provide an update.

I had my interview today in Kansas City, MO, and after about 15 minutes of answering questions about history and civics, passing the English reading and writing test, and verifying that all the information on my N400 was correct -- I passed!!! I am being recommended for naturalization and my oath taking ceremony is in two months!

The IO did not ask any questions about my divorce from my ex husband, other than verifying the fact that I am indeed a divorcee. I said yes and she moved on to the next questions.

I feel so relieved and I cannot thank everyone who I have talked to on VisaJourney.com enough. You have all been a great source of valuable information, strength and hope.

To everyone else still waiting for their naturalization, the finish line is close!!! Keep pushing forward!!!

Congratulations.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.