David & Diana R

TAX QUESTIONS??

26 posts in this topic

2013 TAXES: Okay so I picked up my beautiful wife in July 2013 from the Philippines and we flew to the US together.

It's tax time and I have some questions.

Does anyone have any idea what is tax dedutible? For example:

Moving expense. Bringing her to the US...Airfare? Her one way airfare and my roundtrip to go and pick her up and help her in packing, closing out affairs, etc... (I don't mean visits.)

Expenses I paid while she was in Philippines in 2013 including:

Private School Tuition (I have receipts)

School supplies...

Room and Board at same school dorm. (I have receipts)

These are the things that came to mind as I beging assembling my annual tax documents. Any ideas out there??

Mahalo, David

Edited by David & Zoila

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Paying to move your wife is NOT tax deductible.

Expenses that Do Not Qualify

Even if you pay the following expenses to enroll or attend the school, the following are not qualified education expenses:

• Room and board
  • Insurance
  • Medical expenses (including student health fees)
  • Transportation
  • Similar personal, living or family expenses
What is an Eligible Educational Institution?

An eligible educational institution is a school offering higher education beyond high school. It is any college, university, vocational school, or other post secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S. Department of Education.

This information is from the website IRS.gov.

I suggest reading the following for the educational credit.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch03.html

I don't see the travel expenses as being deductible. What would you qualify the travel expense under?

Moving expense? I am thinking probably only her ticket? I mean the only way she could move here was by flying here. I am just trying to figure this all out. I have always been very conservative with my taxes and just want to make sure I don't make any mistakes. Thanks for the link.

Mahalo, David

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Moving expense? I am thinking probably only her ticket? I mean the only way she could move here was by flying here. I am just trying to figure this all out. I have always been very conservative with my taxes and just want to make sure I don't make any mistakes. Thanks for the link.

Mahalo, David

Best I can tell, moving expenses are only tax deductions if they were done as a result of your job or business. IRS link:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455.html

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Timeline

I suggest reading the following IRS publication about moving expense.

Who Can Deduct Moving Expenses

You can deduct your moving expenses if you meet all three of the following requirements.
  • Your move is closely related to the start of work.

• You meet the distance test.

• You meet the time test.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/ar02.html#en_US_2013_publink1000203444

I suggest reading the following IRS publication about moving expense.

Who Can Deduct Moving Expenses

You can deduct your moving expenses if you meet all three of the following requirements.
  • Your move is closely related to the start of work.

• You meet the distance test.

• You meet the time test.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/ar02.html#en_US_2013_publink1000203444

Okay so as far as I can tell she meets all three requirements. But it looks like I will have to do a lot of reading to really figure this thing out.

Thanks for the line,

Aloha, David

Yes, moving expenses are only for employment. Now if you had adopted her rather than married her you might qualify for some tax deductons.

She moved and is now employed...???

Thanks for the info.

David

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Okay so as far as I can tell she meets all three requirements. But it looks like I will have to do a lot of reading to really figure this thing out.

Thanks for the line,

Aloha, David

She moved and is now employed...???

Thanks for the info.

David

No thats not what that means. She didn't move for work. Now if it was a situation where she was working in Philippines and she transferred to same job.

She immigrated she didn't move for work she immigrated for love and marriage.

Of course all our spouses will probably find work that is not a qualification.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

No thats not what that means. She didn't move for work. Now if it was a situation where she was working in Philippines and she transferred to same job.

She immigrated she didn't move for work she immigrated for love and marriage.

Of course all our spouses will probably find work that is not a qualification.

This is what it says:

Move Related to Start of Work

Your move must be closely related, both in time and in place, to the start of work at your new job location.

It does not say that you are transferring from one location to another. It does require you to "start work" within 1 year of your move. It does not require you to have work set up prior to your move.

Just thinking...obviously I have a lot more reading to do but here is the link: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/ar02.html#en_US_2013_publink1000203504

Move Related to Start of Work

Your move must be closely related, both in time and in place, to the start of work at your new job location.

Closely related in time. In most cases, you can consider moving expenses incurred within 1 year from the date you first reported to work at the new location as closely related in time to the start of work. It is not necessary that you arrange to work before moving to a new location, as long as you actually go to work in that location.

David

Edited by David & Zoila

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The move has to be work related such as a transfer or she lost her job but found one of similar type in another city. Not just I moved and now I found a job so I can deduct all my moving expenses.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

2013 TAXES: Okay so I picked up my beautiful wife in July 2013 from the Philippines and we flew to the US together.

It's tax time and I have some questions.

Does anyone have any idea what is tax dedutible? For example:

Moving expense. Bringing her to the US...Airfare? Her one way airfare and my roundtrip to go and pick her up and help her in packing, closing out affairs, etc... (I don't mean visits.)

Expenses I paid while she was in Philippines in 2013 including:

Private School Tuition (I have receipts)

School supplies...

Room and Board at same school dorm. (I have receipts)

These are the things that came to mind as I beging assembling my annual tax documents. Any ideas out there??

Mahalo, David

I could wrangle a tax return to deduct all of the things in your list. So, knowing that I can do it, I feel certain you can also.

Sure, there's forms to study, and what looks like creative accounting (but really isn't) but I feel strongly you can handle it all.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
  • Room and board
  • Insurance
  • Medical expenses (including student health fees)
  • Transportation
  • Similar personal, living or family expenses

However, all of that is deductible, at 100 percent, as educational expenses, a write in line item, on a schedule C. Sure, it presupposes there's a business or sole proprietorship in place, somewhere, but that stuff can be made retro-actively if'n you know what yer doing....

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I could wrangle a tax return to deduct all of the things in your list. So, knowing that I can do it, I feel certain you can also.

Sure, there's forms to study, and what looks like creative accounting (but really isn't) but I feel strongly you can handle it all.

Darnell,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am reading some of this IRS stuff and some of it seems to match up with what we have done. She had a job in Philippines, she moved here, she started work within the year of the move, etc... I will study and make sure because as I said before I have always been conservative with my taxes and am not about to change that now.

Have a great day Darnell,

Aloha from Maui David

So how about the 983.00 we paid for her CNA course here in USA? The State fee of 275.00 to take the exam and get her CNA license. Her required

uniforms 150.00 (uniform scrubs required for course and work), stethoscope, spygmamometer, thermometer and other WORK supplies 200.00. This

all occurred in US after arrival. She starts work as a CNA Monday and I am so proud of her. She has done amazing things in the 5 months that she has been here.

David

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.