Elisenda

Problems after medical in São Paulo. Need lots of help on how to proceed.

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi!

I had my medical just last week (Dec 9). Everything went fine during the physical. Here in Brazil they also check for Syphilis and TB. So I had blood drawn and a chest x-ray. I was supposed to pick up the letter yesterday after the results from the lab were sent to the doctor. However, I got a call saying I had to see him again, something about the lab tests.

I immediately started to worry. Barely slept last night.

I went back to the doctor's office today and the thing is that I have a small nodule on my left lung. This doctor that oversees all the immigration visas medical checkups for São Paulo, happens to be a pulmonologist. According to him, this little spot on my lung is very likely scar tissue from a bout of bronchitis I had as a child. He says it looks like it's been there for a long time, and I shouldn't worry. Doing further exams to know exactly what it is, is up to me (and I'm already looking into that with my own doctor, just for peace of mind). However, the consulate doesn't simply take his word for it and I will have to be checked for active TB. He told me there are a couple of tests for that, but the CDC only allows for a specific one where they observe collected phlegm (ew!) for the growth of the bacteria over the course of 8 weeks!!!

Let's say this procedure would start tomorrow (it's a 3 day procedure for collecting the phlegm). So counting from next Monday (Dec 23) + 8 weeks for the results to come in, that puts me on February 17. My interview is scheduled for January 28 and my NOA2 expires on Feb 14! The doctor said I should go to the interview regardless of the fact that I won't have the letter from the doctor and explain the situation.

Is this correct? I mean... I can just picture them saying no to me, exactly because I'm being tested for TB.

Now the other problem. There is only one lab in all of São Paulo that does this procedure for the Consulate. About a month ago, this lab was prohibited by Brazilian authorities to do this procedure on site. I would have to collect the phlegm at home and take the vial to the lab over the course of 3 days. This is how the procedure works now. BUT... the consulate requires that the procedure be supervised by a nurse or someone from the lab to ensure that the beneficiary won't use someone else's mucus. Makes sense, I guess. BUT AGAIN... the lab won't allow a lab worker to supervise the person at home, because of the health risks...

So... the doctor doesn't know what to do. The lab won't change its new policies. I need to get this done ASAP! And I'm now in limbo.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Elisenda

Edited by Elisenda

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Mexico/Latin & South America regional subforum for country-specific input. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Hi!

First let me clarify, this concerns my medical exam and my K1 interview! I apologize for the long post, but I’d rather be clear. I’m posting because my medical tests interfere with my interview and the NOA2 expiration. That’s why I need guidance.

Allow me to explain:

I had my medical just last week (Dec 9), well in time for my interview at the end of January. Everything went fine during the physical. Here in Brazil they also check for Syphilis and TB. So I had blood drawn and a chest x-ray. I was supposed to pick up the sealed letter yesterday after the results from the lab were sent to the doctor. However, I got a call saying I had to see him again, something about the lab tests.

I went back to the doctor's office today and the thing is that I have a small nodule on my left lung. This doctor that oversees all the immigration visas medical checkups for São Paulo, happens to be a pulmonologist. According to him, this little spot on my lung is very likely a calcification from a bout of bronchitis I had as a child. He says it looks like it's been there for a long time, and I shouldn't worry. Doing further exams to know exactly what it is, is up to me (and I'm already looking into that with my own doctor, just for peace of mind). However, the consulate doesn't simply take his word for it and I will have to be checked for active TB. He told me there are a couple of tests for that, but the CDC only allows for a specific one (culture test) where they observe collected sputum for the growth of the bacteria over the course of 8 WEEKS!!!

Let's say this procedure would start tomorrow (it's a 3 day procedure for collecting the phlegm). So counting from next Monday (Dec 23) + 8 weeks for the results to come in, that puts me on February 17. My interview is scheduled for January 28 and my NOA2 expires on Feb 14! The doctor said I should go to the interview regardless of the fact that I won't have the letter and explain the situation (waiting for the exam results).

Is this correct? I mean... I can just picture them saying no to me, exactly because I'm being tested for TB.

Now the other problem. There is only one lab in all of São Paulo that does this procedure for the Consulate. About a month ago, this lab was prohibited by Brazilian authorities to do this procedure on site. I would have to collect the sputum at home and take the vial to the lab over the course of 3 days. This is how the procedure works now. BUT... the consulate requires that the procedure be supervised by a nurse or someone from the lab to ensure that the beneficiary won't use someone else's sputum. Makes sense. BUT AGAIN... the lab won't allow a lab worker to supervise the person at home, because of the health risks...

So... the doctor doesn't know what to do. The lab won't change its new policies. I need to get this done ASAP! And I'm now in limbo.

Questions given the circumstances: DO I GO TO THE INTERVIEW ON THE ORIGINAL DATE? DO I RESCHEDULE? WHAT ABOUT THE NOA2 EXPIRATION?

Elisenda

Timeline

Hi Elisenda,

I'm sorry to hear that things have gotten a little complicated, but I can tell you that the consulate apparently does let you go forward with the interview subject to receipt of the medical examination. Another VJ member who had her interview in Rio shortly before Thanksgiving was required by the doctor to have some additional tests, and he told her to go ahead with the interview. She did so, and was told at the interview that she was approved, subject to the consulate's receipt of a satisfactory medical exam, at which time they would issue her the visa. So that should be helpful for you to know.

The "chain of custody" problem relating to your test results is a tough question. If possible for you, one option might be to see if there is a lab in Rio or elsewhere that is acceptable to the consulate where you could have the tests done on-site. It sounds like it's a three-day process, but if you can afford the time and the money there are worse things in life than spending three days in Rio just to get it over with. I'm sure others may have some suggestions as well.

Best of luck and stay calm, you may need to dar um jeito but everything will work out.

Timeline

So good to hear positive things! Ok, so I'll just leave the interview date as it is, and hope they'll be ok with waiting for the additional test (which might take a looong time).

I'm waiting for the doctor to reply to my questions and I'd gladly spend 3 days in Rio if that's an option for the consulate. :)

Thank you! Thank you!

Timeline

Elisenda,

I had responded to your original post about this. I wouldn't worry about the NOA-2 expiration assuming that you attend the sheduled interview. If you explain the situation to the CO at the interview they he/she has authority to extend the expiration date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

If you do a search for sputum test, here on VJ; you'll see this sort of thing happens with some regularity for the Philippinos.

Best of luck to you.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The NOA2 will be extended by the CO. I would just bring it up at the interview - in case the CO hasn't updated already. I would say attend your interview. The embassy should be aware of the new process change at the lab (especially if this is the only lab in the country) and probably will give you a 221(g) to come back with the culture results.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to Mexico/Latin & South America regional subforum and merged with earlier thread on the topic. No need to post more than once on the same topic, as overwhelming as the situation might seem right now. smile.png ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi!

First let me clarify, this concerns my medical exam and my K1 interview! I apologize for the long post, but I’d rather be clear. I’m posting because my medical tests interfere with my interview and the NOA2 expiration. That’s why I need guidance.

Allow me to explain:

I had my medical just last week (Dec 9), well in time for my interview at the end of January. Everything went fine during the physical. Here in Brazil they also check for Syphilis and TB. So I had blood drawn and a chest x-ray. I was supposed to pick up the sealed letter yesterday after the results from the lab were sent to the doctor. However, I got a call saying I had to see him again, something about the lab tests.

I went back to the doctor's office today and the thing is that I have a small nodule on my left lung. This doctor that oversees all the immigration visas medical checkups for São Paulo, happens to be a pulmonologist. According to him, this little spot on my lung is very likely a calcification from a bout of bronchitis I had as a child. He says it looks like it's been there for a long time, and I shouldn't worry. Doing further exams to know exactly what it is, is up to me (and I'm already looking into that with my own doctor, just for peace of mind). However, the consulate doesn't simply take his word for it and I will have to be checked for active TB. He told me there are a couple of tests for that, but the CDC only allows for a specific one (culture test) where they observe collected sputum for the growth of the bacteria over the course of 8 WEEKS!!!

Let's say this procedure would start tomorrow (it's a 3 day procedure for collecting the phlegm). So counting from next Monday (Dec 23) + 8 weeks for the results to come in, that puts me on February 17. My interview is scheduled for January 28 and my NOA2 expires on Feb 14! The doctor said I should go to the interview regardless of the fact that I won't have the letter and explain the situation (waiting for the exam results).

Now the other problem. There is only one lab in all of São Paulo that does this procedure for the Consulate. About a month ago, this lab was prohibited by Brazilian authorities to do this procedure on site. I would have to collect the sputum at home and take the vial to the lab over the course of 3 days. This is how the procedure works now. BUT... the consulate requires that the procedure be supervised by a nurse or someone from the lab to ensure that the beneficiary won't use someone else's sputum. Makes sense. BUT AGAIN... the lab won't allow a lab worker to supervise the person at home, because of the health risks...

Questions given the circumstances: DO I GO TO THE INTERVIEW ON THE ORIGINAL DATE? DO I RESCHEDULE? WHAT ABOUT THE NOA2 EXPIRATION?

Elisenda

Hi Elisenda,

I'm sorry to hear that things have gotten a little complicated, but I can tell you that the consulate apparently does let you go forward with the interview subject to receipt of the medical examination. Another VJ member who had her interview in Rio shortly before Thanksgiving was required by the doctor to have some additional tests, and he told her to go ahead with the interview. She did so, and was told at the interview that she was approved, subject to the consulate's receipt of a satisfactory medical exam, at which time they would issue her the visa. So that should be helpful for you to know.

The "chain of custody" problem relating to your test results is a tough question. If possible for you, one option might be to see if there is a lab in Rio or elsewhere that is acceptable to the consulate where you could have the tests done on-site. It sounds like it's a three-day process, but if you can afford the time and the money there are worse things in life than spending three days in Rio just to get it over with. I'm sure others may have some suggestions as well.

Best of luck and stay calm, you may need to dar um jeito but everything will work out.

Hi Elisenda!

I am sorry to hear that... I hope you can solve this problem ASAP...

Yes, go on with your interview...I tried to reschedule as well, but the answer given was they would not have any date before my NOA2 expiration.

The "she" FulanodeTal was talking about it's me.

I went to the same doctor in São Paulo (me and 2 kids). Our exams were ok, however my oldest son had to go and visit a psychologist. We didn't have enough time to go before the interview day, and we went to the interview without our exams and we got appoved even without them.

When I came back home I arranged the sessions for him (after my interview in Rio de Janeiro)

Last week finally my son finished with his tests at the psycologist, and the secretary of the doctor said to me she sent the envolope with exams yesterday afternoon.

So, now we are waiting for the exams to get in RJ and see what is going to happen after... (I can let you know, if you want to)

(sorry about my english...not very good tongue_ss.gif hope you could understand)

K1 Visa:

Service Center: California
Consulate: Rio de Janeiro

2013-07-01: I-129F Sent
2013-07-08: Email acceptance
2013-07-15: NOA1 - hardcopy

2013-07-05: Date of NOA1

2013-09-10: Date of NOA2 (67 days from NOA1)

2013-09-14: NOA2 - hardcopy

2013-10-22: NVC Casa Number (42 days after my NOA2)

2013-10-25: NVC Left

2013-10-28: Consulate Received

2013-11-27: Interview Date - Approved!

Adjustment of Status - AOS K1 Visa:

2014-07-19: Date Filed

2014-07-27: NOA Date

2014-08-15: RFE

2014-10-30: RFE Response

2014-10-31: RFE Received

2014-11-20: Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

2015-04-05: Interview Schedule

2015-05-11: Interview - Approved!

2015-05-20: Card was delivered to me by the post office... Green Card in hands! :)

Employment Authorization Document – EAD

2014-11-21: Approved Date

2014-11-24: Card Was Ordered To Be Produced

2014-12-01: Card Was Mailed To Me

2014-12-03: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Advance Parole – AP

2014-11-21: Case Was Approved

2014-11-25: Advance parole Document Was Produced

2014-11-30: Advance Parole Received by mail (only for my both kids, not for me (?)

2014-12-03: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Timeline

Hi Elisenda!

I am sorry to hear that... I hope you can solve this problem ASAP...

Yes, go on with your interview...I tried to reschedule as well, but the answer given was they would not have any date before my NOA2 expiration.

The "she" FulanodeTal was talking about it's me.

I went to the same doctor in São Paulo (me and 2 kids). Our exams were ok, however my oldest son had to go and visit a psychologist. We didn't have enough time to go before the interview day, and we went to the interview without our exams and we got appoved even without them.

When I came back home I arranged the sessions for him (after my interview in Rio de Janeiro)

Last week finally my son finished with his tests at the psycologist, and the secretary of the doctor said to me she sent the envolope with exams yesterday afternoon.

So, now we are waiting for the exams to get in RJ and see what is going to happen after... (I can let you know, if you want to)

(sorry about my english...not very good tongue_ss.gif hope you could understand)

Oh hi!

Oh wow... Ok, I'm definitely going to my interview. What can I do at this point right?

I talked to the doctor again today and he told me to do it at a different lab though because the Lavoisier just won't comply with the consulate specifications. He said it shouldn't be a problem.

I find this all very unorganized. I can tell by the way things were going yesterday trying to schedule this exam with the lab, that the Consulate or/and the CDC is not even aware of what's going on... the whole new policy of not being able to do an assisted exam.

So tomorrow morning I'm going to the other lab, a Fleury, to schedule the procedures. What's crazy is that, instead of it costing me about USD100, I'm gonna pay over USD600 because this is a "high-end" lab. Well... it's annoying, but truth be told, I just hope I'm healthy.

BrazilANDamerica, I really hope things work out well for you. :) We all know how nerve-wrecking this whole process is... The best of luck to you! Seems like you've also been waiting for a long time for this process to be completed.

Thanks everyone for the help and support!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.