Stacyyy

Travel Within the US before SSN/AOS? Which ID to Use?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I would like to fly from Chicago to Boston in a couple weeks for the holidays. I entered on a K-1 and have married him since. I do not have a SSN yet and we haven't filed the AOS paperwork yet.

I believe that I can travel freely within the US before getting a SSN and adjusting my status, but I'm not 100% sure. I know that I would have to have my passport with me as ID. Can I use my military spouse ID to travel or my Canadian drivers license rather than my passport, as long as it's with me? Does it make a difference which document I use to travel with?

Are there any additional documents I should bring with me?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

A lot of folks will likely suggest that you carry your passport and a copy of your marriage license.

Happy Holidays.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

As long as you travel without a stop in another country you*ll be fine! You're allowed to travel within the US!
You should take the passport and marriage certificate with you. They probably won't even want to see the latter ;)

Did you change your name after marriage? If so, I hope you booked the airline ticket on your maiden name.

Nov 30th 2012.....Filed Petition I-129F

Dec 6th 2012.......NOA1 (VSC)

May 29th 2013.....File got transferred to TSC

June 18th 2013....NOA2 (after 196 days!!!)

July 9th 2013.......Case is sent to NVC

July 18th 2013.....Medical in Munich

Aug 28th 2013.....Interview in FRN - Approved!

Aug 30th 2013.....Visa in mail!

Sep 13th 2013.....POE Boston

Nov 12th 2013.....Wedding in Old City Hall, Boston

Dec 02nd 2013....Sent AOS package

Dec 04th 2013.....Package received

Jan 02nd 2014.....Requested expedite for EAD due to severe financial loss (pending job offer)
Jan 06th 2014......Biometrics Appointment
Jan 07th 2014......EAD/AP Combo Card in production
Jan 13th 2014......Combo Card received in mail
Mar 12th 2014.....Potential Interview Waiver Letter
Apr 23rd 2014......Status update to "Card Production"
Apr 25th 2014......Status update to "Decision"
Apr 28th 2014......Welcome Letter arrived
May 3rd 2014.......Green Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Pretty much any official picture ID that matches the name on your ticket, or accompanied by the marriage certificate to confirm the new name if that is what you used to book the ticket.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi! We also having same confusion about travel within Us as we want to travel from Texas to LA ,I have my passport in maiden name and filed AOS after marraige name.i got both SSN in maiden as well as after marraige name.is there any other document required to travel?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

There is no contact with US immigration when flying domestically in the US. Immigration status is a non-issue. Even illegal aliens with a valid ID can fly domestically since there is no contact with US immigration.

All you need is a valid ID such as a passport. If the wife took the husband's last name and used that to book the tickets, then a copy of the marriage certificate is also required. (IMHO, it's best to book with the name in the passport.)

Here is a list of acceptable ID for flying in the US. US military ID and Canadian driver's license are both acceptable forms of ID.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Thanks for all of your help!

I have technically changed my name but don't have anything other than the marriage certificate, and the military ID to prove that. We haven't booked the the tickets yet but I think I will book in my name and use my passport as ID as it seems to be the simplest option.

Timeline

Hi! We also having same confusion about travel within Us as we want to travel from Texas to LA ,I have my passport in maiden name and filed AOS after marraige name.i got both SSN in maiden as well as after marraige name.is there any other document required to travel?

Based on what everyone is saying here, if you book the ticket in your new name and do not have photo ID with your new name on it, then you should bring your marriage certificate with you. If you book the ticket using your maiden name then your passport should be enough.

You might want to contact the airline(s) and ask them what is acceptable and needed and they are the one that will make the final decision(s).

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Would both of our tickets with my mine using my new last name be good evidence to bring to the AOS interview?

It's a single piece of evidence. By itself, it's not strong evidence of a bona fide marriage. As part of a package with other evidence, it may be helpful. However, I don't think it pushes it one way or the other.

IMHO, since you have the US military ID with your new surname, I would go with that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.