Nikaote

He has his 10yr greencard am I still on the hook?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi All,

I've been lurking for quite some time and have been very enlightened on this whole immigration process because of your information here on the forums. Now I find myself needing a bit of help myself as I'm not quite sure what my options are at this point (if any).

Quick backstory...

My husband and I have been married for a short 2yrs. He came over on a K1 Visa in 2011. Because of financial issues (I was the only one working and bringing in any sort of income) we were not able to file AOS until earlier this year. There were issues off and on and a few red flags but I took my marriage seriously and overlooked those things and continued to push through. I know marriage especially to a foreigner isn't easy so I kept going. I thought he was in it for the long haul as well. We'd discussed me quitting my job in corporate america to pursue my passion--a career as a therapist-- (since I was not able to do that while the paperwork was being processed). When he finally received his EAD and Green card (July & September respectively), he gave me the green light to go ahead and pursue that passion. He had one job and said he'd get another to make ends meet while my income as a therapist would provide our "extra income". Needless to say I quit my job at the end of September. He'd received a 10yr greencard a week or two before I quit. We did not have to have an interview or anything. At the time we viewed it as a blessing but now, well...

Anyway, he'd taken up smoking weed and lost his second job. We argued (which had become the norm) and I explained what he was doing was illegal. He refused to listen. After an argument last week, he took many of his belongings and left. We have not spoken or seen each other since. Other family members have spoken to him and he said he's not coming back (to be honest, with everything that I've been through with him, I don't want him back). I'm trying not to believe I was a means to an end, but of course those thoughts come into play in a situation such as this (he stuck through everything until he got his greencard). I just want to file for divorce and be free of him. With that, I don't want to be on the hook for the Affidavit of Support....mostly because I don't trust what he's out there doing given that he doesn't have regard for staying on the legal side of things.

Do I have any options here from untying myself and making a clean break so to speak?

(FYI...I'm actually looking for a job now and have to once again put my passion on the back burner. I added that for those who were interested :) )

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In short.. You are Locked in. But not totally. It is rare for you to provide US assistance in which you maybe required to pay back.

Let him go. Live your life and move on.

Don't lose no sleep over this and change your phone #.

You Go Girl!

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

I'm sorry for what you are going through, but the answer Is no. not until he becomes a USC. Read the instructions on the i864. just because you divorce doesn't mean you're off the hook if he gets means tested government benefits and the government decides that he should repay them and goes after you. But as said, it doesn't happen too often

you are still responsible for him, unless he becomes a USC, dies, works 40 credits or returns to his country abandoning his GC

Edited by aleful

Hi All,

I've been lurking for quite some time and have been very enlightened on this whole immigration process because of your information here on the forums. Now I find myself needing a bit of help myself as I'm not quite sure what my options are at this point (if any).

Quick backstory...

My husband and I have been married for a short 2yrs. He came over on a K1 Visa in 2011. Because of financial issues (I was the only one working and bringing in any sort of income) we were not able to file AOS until earlier this year. There were issues off and on and a few red flags but I took my marriage seriously and overlooked those things and continued to push through. I know marriage especially to a foreigner isn't easy so I kept going. I thought he was in it for the long haul as well. We'd discussed me quitting my job in corporate america to pursue my passion--a career as a therapist-- (since I was not able to do that while the paperwork was being processed). When he finally received his EAD and Green card (July & September respectively), he gave me the green light to go ahead and pursue that passion. He had one job and said he'd get another to make ends meet while my income as a therapist would provide our "extra income". Needless to say I quit my job at the end of September. He'd received a 10yr greencard a week or two before I quit. We did not have to have an interview or anything. At the time we viewed it as a blessing but now, well...

Anyway, he'd taken up smoking weed and lost his second job. We argued (which had become the norm) and I explained what he was doing was illegal. He refused to listen. After an argument last week, he took many of his belongings and left. We have not spoken or seen each other since. Other family members have spoken to him and he said he's not coming back (to be honest, with everything that I've been through with him, I don't want him back). I'm trying not to believe I was a means to an end, but of course those thoughts come into play in a situation such as this (he stuck through everything until he got his greencard). I just want to file for divorce and be free of him. With that, I don't want to be on the hook for the Affidavit of Support....mostly because I don't trust what he's out there doing given that he doesn't have regard for staying on the legal side of things.

Do I have any options here from untying myself and making a clean break so to speak?

(FYI...I'm actually looking for a job now and have to once again put my passion on the back burner. I added that for those who were interested smile.png )

Please read what you signed and understand what you are "on the hook" for. Should your spouse apply and receive means tested benefits from the US government, then you will be responsible to replay that money until:

1) He leaves the US and abandons his LPR status

2) He works for a total of 10 qualifying quarters (minimum of 10 years, but can be longer depending on his work history)

3) He becomes a US citizen--that is now 5 years from becoming a LPR should you two decide to divorce

4) You die

5) He dies.

Divorce does not end your obligation only one of the 5 items above does.

Time to move on and worry about your life and not worry about him. If he continues he will be getting 3 squares courtesy of the correctional system of the state he lives in (unless he moves to Washington or Colorado where smoking that kind of weed is not legal).

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you for your empathy and your answers. I will say in one way I'm happy to see he won't be eligible for citizenship for 5 years from getting his actual greencard by my calculation that's 2018). He'd gotten some obvious misinformation and threw that in my face. I told him he needed to research that for himself since I was through with helping him on that end.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

it's 40 qualifying quarters, or 10 years..

Nikaote - if he's arrested, it's possible he'd be put on immigration/ICE hold, as well.

Depending on the arrest and subsequent trial results, he could be deported as a result. I mention that, if it helps you to do some other digging on his whereabouts and purchasing patterns.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, can your ex sue you in court for support...yes (there are tons of cases for proof)

can she sue me in federal court even if she loses in state court...yes (google Rooker Feldman doctrine)

Are these cases common.............NO they are not

OP you signed a contract with the federal government, your on the hook till the terms are met, that is it, reread the I864

hey do not worry this would be worst case and this cases are very rare in court and the last case I have read bout was Winters V Winters out of the federal court in Florida (www.justia.com) the federal court stated that the case should be determined on the state level, which in truth is where this belongs, and the federal government will not sue you if they want their money back, they will just send you a bill. But I have never heard of this.

Thank you for your empathy and your answers. I will say in one way I'm happy to see he won't be eligible for citizenship for 5 years from getting his actual greencard by my calculation that's 2018). He'd gotten some obvious misinformation and threw that in my face. I told him he needed to research that for himself since I was through with helping him on that end.

Actually he can apply for citizenship. He cannot apply in 3 years (needs to be married to the USC for 3 years after obtaining LPR status) but he can apply in the regular 5.

You probably want him to do this as it removes your obligation completely

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.