New Yorker

MY USC FIANCEE HAS CHILD SUPPORT DEBTS

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello people!!!!!!!!

I have a question worrying me.. MY USC FIANCEE HAS CHILD SUPPORT DEBTS SINCE LAST YEAR.

can this affect the process in immigration??

familytogether.gif

K1 HOLDER

AOS 1 APR 2007 .................................. DENIED

AOS 2 DEC 2007.................................. DENIED

WAIVER MAY 2008............................... DENIED

MOTION TO REOPEN JULY 2008............. GRANTED

AOS JUNE 2009 ................................... GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nowhere on any forms to list debts. The I-134 is income and assets. Debts and bankruptcy do not figure into it.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know but I would be concerned from a personal standpoint.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I would make a distinction between normal debts and child support. If you are in debt you can claim bankruptcy. If you are behind in child support, bankruptcy won't help and you might end up spending time in the Big House.

If the child support is mandated by a court, he may be ruled in contempt. If the value is high enough there may be a warrant for him. It depends what the child's guardian has done about the debt.

The USC goes through a background check, and his court record (if any) will show up. If there is a court record, expect a long delay. If he's actually wanted for anything, expect a very long wait. He might have to finish a prison sentence.

According to the law that takes effect today 3/6/06, if you met through a marriage broker, you'll get a full printout of his past at the visa interview. You might want to tell him that if there's anything he's hiding, you won't be happy at the interview.

12/06/05 Mailed I-129f to TSC

12/12/05 NOA1 date from CSC

03/14/06 NOA2 date from CSC

03/22/06 case mailed from NVC to Kiev

03/25/06 Received snail mail notice from CSC, application mailed to NVC

04/05/06 Kiev Embassy mailed Packet 3

04/16/06 Fiancee received Packet 3

04/26/06 Fiancee faxed KEV-1 checklist to embassy

05/04/06 Kiev Embassy mailed Packet 4

05/29/06 Medical exam

05/31/06 Interview in Kiev

06/02/06 Received Visa

06/24/06 POE JFK

09/15/06 Married!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My ex was given a suspended sentence for owing $1800 in child support and given 30 days to start paying or he would be locked up, so it can be a big deal. If you're worried from a financial standpoint, get him to make an appointment for a free consultation with a lawyer.

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I think that you should be more concerned on why he isnt paying his child suport. After all, real men support their children.

Well said.. :thumbs:

Ditto!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A lot of men who try to skip out on child support don't realize that they are NOT supporting their ex, they are supporting their CHILD.

I would definately be worried about why he didn't pay his child support. It is a very big deal.

Timeline

It worried me about my ex, and he wasn't paying because his business went bust. I would be concerned on a personal level, because what does that say about him as a person if he's not even prepared to financially support his own flesh and blood? Would he support you, regardless?

You don't have to answer us, Brenda; it's just some food for thought for you.

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

I have to say something on this topic. I'm one of the few that pays no support but has my son 90% of the year. His mother plays "Mommy" one weekend out of the month each year. We have never been in court and I have never said anything, just let the truth be seen by me and not complain. I have my son and raising him right, she claims him on her tax refund and is happy with the money. Not to pass jugdement but be careful, the answers to the furture seem to be before you live it.

October 14, 2005~~~~ Mailed I-129F (Vermont)

October 17, 2005~~~~ I-129F Arrives via USPS

October 20, 2005~~~~ Check Cashed

October 26, 2005~~~~ Received NOA1 via mail :):)

October 26, 2005~~~~ Signed up for emails with uscis.gov

November 03, 2005~~~~ Received email NOA2 Approval :)

November 09, 2005~~~~ Received NOA2 in mail :)

November 10, 2005~~~~ Case mailed to Embassy!!

November 12, 2005~~~~ Received letter case has been sent.

November-December13, 2005~~~~ No Packet 3???????

December 14, 2005 ~~~~Email Embassy

December 15, 2005 ~~~~Packet 3 via email???? To me!!! ????

January 31, 2006 ~~~~ Interview

****Had to reschudule Interview, Passport problems :( Oksana needs a new one, her government makes her wait and moves SSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW :(

****February-March Still awaiting Passport

March 3, 2006 ~~~~ Medical

March 7, 2006 ~~~~ Interview And PASSED!!! :):) (They will issue visa when new passport arrives)

March 8, 2006 ~~~~ Awaiting and Awaiting New Passport :(:(

April 8, 2006~~~~ Passport Issued :):)

April 12, 2006~~~~ Visa inside New Passport :):)

April 15, 2006~~~~ Notice WRONG PASSPORT NUMBER ON VISA, Must go back to Embassy again to correct their MISTAKE

May 2, 2006~~~~ Visa corrected

May 10, 2006~~~~ Fly to Bishkek

May 14, 2006~~~~ We fly together for the US

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have to say something on this topic. I'm one of the few that pays no support but has my son 90% of the year. His mother plays "Mommy" one weekend out of the month each year. We have never been in court and I have never said anything, just let the truth be seen by me and not complain. I have my son and raising him right, she claims him on her tax refund and is happy with the money. Not to pass jugdement but be careful, the answers to the furture seem to be before you live it.

Your a good dad. :thumbs:

Its different because you have the child with you. You are the one that takes care of him. Which I am sure the child is very lucky to have you as his dad.

My ex has never paid a dime in 8 years for our two sons. I went to court so many times over it, I just said F$ck it. He always had an excuse, or worked under the table so he wouldnt have to pay. I seen him quit his company he had shares in just so he didnt have to give any support. He's what ya call a LOOSER. :yes: Alot of men do this just to get back at the ex for leaving. If in their stupid heads they would relize that there hurting their children. But as the child gets older, he/she knows who looked after them and loved them.

I think that you should be more concerned on why he isnt paying his child suport. After all, real men support their children.

I agree :yes:

Edited by pink_roses

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello guys!

I appreciate your comments and all. Actually I'd love the fact that he pays child support. But this is a topic we never talk about. I have no kids, never been married, (he is divorced) so I do not understand what is really the problem related to all this. All I know is that he has been to court several times, he never talk to me about his ex, or financial issues between them.. and to be sincere I have always been worried about it, maybe he is hiding something... and of course Im not agree since he is not being a responsible man.. give some advice to enter this dangerous area... we need to talk about it,

besos a todos!!

familytogether.gif

K1 HOLDER

AOS 1 APR 2007 .................................. DENIED

AOS 2 DEC 2007.................................. DENIED

WAIVER MAY 2008............................... DENIED

MOTION TO REOPEN JULY 2008............. GRANTED

AOS JUNE 2009 ................................... GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

If it were me, I would not put that ring on my finger until I knew:

1) How much child support he owes

2) Why he hasn't been paying it (And that's a biggie - listen carefully to the answer!)

3) Does he ever intend to pay it?

4) Where does he stand legally right now? (The last thing you want is for him to be locked in prison whilst you are unable to work, worst case scenario)

5) What the state law is about the courts being able to garnish YOUR wages for his child support

If he wouldn't talk to me about those things then there is no way that I would be marrying him, personally. You have to decide what level of honesty you're willing to accept, and also consider if you are willing to take financial responsibility for both him by the sounds of things and possibly his children from another relationship.

I think you have some hard questions to ask, but it's your call. If the answers are acceptable to you and you feel confident in this man, marry him. If you don't, then don't.

(F)

Timeline

Oh man, I was hoping it wasn't you and I've just checked your back posts and damn if it is.

You say that your fiance hasn't worked since May 2005 and that you have been supporting him financially. That would explain why he hasn't been paying his child support (although I would suspect that it had been going on a while longer then that for him to have been in court several times).

I can't find anything which says that NY will garnish YOUR wages for HIS child support, but if he is not claiming income on his tax return your income could possibly be deemed "household" and it could happen that you wind up paying his child support. They could also put a lien on any real estate you own together (now, or down the line), suspend his driver's licence, take away his passport.... It could make your life together difficult for a long time.

Good luck in sorting this one out, Brenda.

:star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.