Jessicacallum

When we finally get our visa how do I move money over to the US

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok so I told my grandfather that I will be moving to the US soon and what I didn't know he is giving us inheritance money and I'm getting mine early as I won't be around and it's going to be £200,000 which in dollars is about $322,222 how do I take this with me to the US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

What you can do is open an account in the US and transfer those funds into that account that the only way I can think of.

Keep it Real

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

If you gonna transfer this money by w.u its gonna cost a lot of money for this big account .. and the maximum allowd ammount to cerry is $1000 i think . So account idea sounds good .. good luck sis

You either cash it and carry it with you on the plane. Or you transfer it into a US account. Simple as.

You will need to figure out how inheritance is taxed in both countries, however.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

For that kind of cash, you need to consult an attorney knowledgeable in such area. You run serious risks if you do not do this the right way. I would NOT violate the laws in the U.S. by trying to smuggle the cash in, as your visa journey might end up being a short one if you do.

For that kind of cash, you need to consult an attorney knowledgeable in such area. You run serious risks if you do not do this the right way. I would NOT violate the laws in the U.S. by trying to smuggle the cash in, as your visa journey might end up being a short one if you do.

Bringing cash in is not smuggling. You declare it in your customs forms. The end.

She has a separate tax issue, to figure out if an inheritance is taxed (presumably it was already taxed when the grandfather got it) but moving the money is not hard.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Bringing cash in is not smuggling. You declare it in your customs forms. The end.

She has a separate tax issue, to figure out if an inheritance is taxed (presumably it was already taxed when the grandfather got it) but moving the money is not hard.

It's my money I'm moving from England to US I don't see how it should be taxed when it's his savings that he saved in England and it was from work he was taxed from in England so it's stupid if it has to be taxed again, but I didn't plan on smuggling it that's why I asked what's the correct process I don't want to lose all that money as we have plans for it already we want to buy a home straight out and a car and the rest will be useful till I get my ead to work

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It's true it's not smuggling if you declare it, but I was pointing out you would need to comply with the law. Putting $320,000 in your pocket and waltzing on a plane with it and handing the customs guy your form noting the cash in your pocket may not be illegal, but it also might be the dumbest way to get the money transferred. I have to think there are way better options, which is why I think a lawyer is needed.

Timeline

It's true it's not smuggling if you declare it, but I was pointing out you would need to comply with the law. Putting $320,000 in your pocket and waltzing on a plane with it and handing the customs guy your form noting the cash in your pocket may not be illegal, but it also might be the dumbest way to get the money transferred. I have to think there are way better options, which is why I think a lawyer is needed.

Oh I never planned on carrying the cash. I never carry more than 50 on me at a time, I was just wondering if I could open an account in the US from England and transfer the funds over I know it would cost me to do this but it'd be worth it. So confusing guess we will have to seek legal advice. I've never had this kind of money I never thought I would actually so this is all last minute stuff wish is piling on top things that need to get done already

Oh I never planned on carrying the cash. I never carry more than 50 on me at a time, I was just wondering if I could open an account in the US from England and transfer the funds over I know it would cost me to do this but it'd be worth it. So confusing guess we will have to seek legal advice. I've never had this kind of money I never thought I would actually so this is all last minute stuff wish is piling on top things that need to get done already

Unless your grandfather is deceased, it is not an inheritance. It is a gift. There are gifting laws in the UK that grandfather needs to look into. There are also laws in place where if grandfather dies within 7 years, your gift then falls under inheritance tax laws, even if it wasn't inheritance at the time. Your gift would be lumped back into the value of his estate. The estate threshhold is £325,000. Over that is taxed at 40%, so you could end up owing inheritance tax on part of your gift. And his gift is way over what is yearly allowed without UK tax implications.

See HMRC info on gifts http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritancetax/pass-money-property/exempt-gifts.htm#2

As far as the US is concerned, there are no customs charges or US taxes to bring money from the UK. There is a required reporting of anything over $10k. If financial institutions transfer, they do the reporting paperwork. If you carry it in your pocket, then you do the reporting when you go through customs. Either way, it is reported and not charged customs or taxed.

A lot of people in the UK forum like using xe.com for the transfer because of lower service fees and good exchange rates.

Of note: once your money is in the US, then any interest it earns from investing it is a taxable amount. Only the new earnings, not your big lump sum.

Also if you leave it in the UK, there are certain US tax forms that want a reporting each year of foreign bank holdings. Again, it is a report for information, not to tax it.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Couldn't have written it better (Nich-Nick)! You can use Xe.com or Currencyfair. Good rate with CurrencyFair though. Fingers crossed your grandpa will still be around in the next 7 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Jessica, you realy should remove the amount from your post.

Please keep in mind that some dates are only known after receipt of another document.
For example, the USPS Form 3811. The stamped receiving date was not know until the original Form 3811 was received on 07/13/2013 1:30 p/m CST.

07/05/2013 3:07 p/m CST I-129F pouch tendered to United States Postal Service in Houston, TX
07/09/2013 UNKNWN USPS Form 3811 / Signiture Receipt Card / Stamped and Received at USCIS Dallas Lockbox *
07/09/2013 UNKNWN USCIS / WEB SITE / receives petition and mails notice
07/12/2013 UNKNWN I-129F Check Presented to bank for payment
07/12/2013 2:51 p/m CST Text Message Received / G-1145 / I-129F Form / VSC - Documents sent to VSC
07/12/2013 2:51 p/m CST Email Received Received / G-1145 / I-129F Form / VSC - Documents sent to VSC
07/12/2013 UNKNWN I-129F Check coverted to ACH Payment to USCIS DALLAS PAYMENT
07/13/2013 1:30 p/m CST USPS Form 3811 / Signiture Receipt (GREEN) Card received from USCIS Dallas Lockbox *
07/13/2013 4:24 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Set up user account to track case status / https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/logon.do
07/15/2013 4:24 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Indicates "ACCEPTANCE"
07/16/2013 7:30 p/m CST USCIS / WEB SITE / Log in to check site / Indicates "INITIAL REVIEW"
07/17/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOA1) / Received in mail today. (Notice Date : 07/11/2013, VSC) (Stamp date on envelope : 07/15/13)

* Advising case has been opened.
07/18/2013 8:31 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Advising Alien Registration Number has been changed
07/18/2013 8:35 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

07/18/2013 8:31 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Advising Alien Registration Number has been changed
07/18/2013 8:35 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 6:45 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 6:47 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/07/2013 7:00 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/09/2013 6:30 p/m CST Email Received / USCIS / Case has been transfered from VSC

08/09/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOAT) / Rcv'd in mail (Notice Date : 08/06/2013, VSC) (Stamp date on envelope : 08/07/2013)**

** Advising that the case has been transfered from VSC to TSC

08/09/2013 7:30 p/m CST USCIS / WEB STIE / Logged in to check site / Indicatted "INITIAL REVIEW

08/26/2013 8:45 p/m CST Email Recieved / USCIS / On 08/26/13, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E).

08/26/2013 8:47 p/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/26/2013 8:48 p/m CST USCIS / WEB STIE / Logged in to check site / Indicatted "POST DECISION ACTIVITY"

08/27/2013 7:15 a/m CST Text Message Received / USCIS / Advising "My Case Status" has been updated at www.uscis.gov

08/27/2013 7:15 a/m CST Email Received / USCIS / On August 27, 2013, we shipped this approved or re-affirmed case to the Department of State for visa processing.

08/29/2013 UNKNWN I-797C, Notice of Action (NOA2) / Rcv'd in mail. (Notice Date : 08/26/2013) (Stamp date on env. : 08/27/18) / Advising i-129F has been APPROVED.

09/05/2013 UNKNWN Phone Call to NVC / Petition received and MNL Number issued

09/06/2013 15:58 EST Documents shipped out via DHL AWB 8774193982 ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/302190-dhl-tracking-from-nvc-to-us-embassy/ ) EXCELLANT

09/09/2013 10:45 MNL Documents rcvd at Embassy signed for L Bernardion

Summary : Date mailed : 07/05; Docs rcv'd USCIS : 07/09; NOA1 issued : 07/11; NOA2 issued : 08/26, NOA2 rcv'd in mail : 08/29; NVC Rcv'd : 09/05/; MNL Emby rcv'd docs : 09/09

Total Number of Days : 67 days (Mailing date of I-129F at U.S. Post Office to Receipt of documents in Manila Embassy)

Projected Dates (Not Actual Dates) : Based on research on VJ Website, other members statements, and documents going to VSC Service Center
07/18/13 : Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between December 11, 2013 and December 24, 2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to the UK regional forum - topic is not K-1 process and I think you would get the best answers from those in the UK that have had to do the same ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I have moved similar amounts here from the UK and it's easy. Just open an account here in the US and get you bank in the UK to transfer it.

Or better

I used HiFx who give you a better rate than your bank will and have no transfer charges.

We looked at the exchange rates and costs of lots of money transfer companies and in the end the best deal at that time was xe.com so that was who we used to move all of our money from our UK to US bank accounts. The taxation is a whole other issue to look into.

Best wishes

Laura

Married a US/UK dual national in 1996 and had four children together.
Immigration Timeline: I130 Approval November 2012; Interview July 2013; Immigration October 2013. (Note, however, that we chose to stall the process for personal scheduling reasons)
As a family of six, we relocated from Argyll in Scotland to Pennsylvania in October 2013. 

I applied for Citizenship in October 2017 and am currently waiting for an Interview date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.