looking4help

Health Care for Visiting Relative

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My mother-in-law, who has been living alone in Mexico, is experiencing health issues and is in need of living with us in the States. We have another year before we can apply for citizenship ourselves, which is what is needed before we can apply for residency for my mother-in-law. We would like for her to stay with us in the States for as long as possible. It is my understanding she can apply for a B2 visitors visa for family visits and health reasons...with the option to apply for extensions. Although my mother-in-law has full health care insurance coverage in Mexico, she will have no such insurance in the States. Does anyone know of options we can pursue to cover her medical appointments, prescriptions, and major medical if hospitalization is needed? Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Google for some of the major health insurers, most of them will give you a rough quote based on sex, age, health. Unless she plans on working legally in the US for at least 10 years she will not be eligible to receive Medicare. Eventually she will be eligible to apply for Medicaid but not for at least five years.

Timeline

Thanks...I've tried that. But, I have found most major health insurance companies will not cover those without a TIN/SSN. It is my understanding she will be eligible for ACA, but will need to be a resident or citizen for that option.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

There are insurance plans for tourists ... Google I surance for USA visitors, non immigrants and there are several companies and plans so do your research... I bought through travel guard and atlas for my visiting family...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

Thanks Christeen...Tried that route too...found very few travel policies that cover those over 70 years with pre-existing conditions. We found such policies to be very limited in coverage and quite expensive...for her age and health, the travel policies we found would cover only accidents and unexpected illnesses...except heart related.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

You have to remember ACA is NOT free insurance. She might qualify for reduced premiums depending on the household income, but she will be part of your household so all the income from all the earners income will count. She cannot accept Medicaid even if the household qualifies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Thanks Christeen...Tried that route too...found very few travel policies that cover those over 70 years with pre-existing conditions. We found such policies to be very limited in coverage and quite expensive...for her age and health, the travel policies we found would cover only accidents and unexpected illnesses...except heart related.

Yes, the coverages are very limited given those circumstances... We faced that issue too ... Sorry

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If she has pre existing conditions you may be forced to provide proof on insurance to get her an immigrant visa. Over 70 with preexisting conditions can run from 700 to several thousand a month.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most people buy Travel Insurance in their own country. I have little knowledge of the Mexican Insurance market, but I find it hard to believe there are not plenty of options locally.

Having said that Travel Insurance rarely covers pre existing conditions and certain not regular prescriptions etc. The last time my Mother came over for 3 weeks the Insurance cost nearly the same as the air fare!

If she is looking to immigrate then her only practical option will be Obamacare, and that relies on tax credits to make it affordable. Without tax credits she is looking at c $20,000 a year ish for decent cover.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thanks belinda63. Yep, it's too bad about the residency restrictions for Medicaid...that is why we are looking at ACA...We are ok paying the ACA premiums as long as she can get coverage...we estimate those premiums to be a little more reasonable than what the market is offering today...and more comprehensive coverage.

Thanks christeen. Any suggestions you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks Nigeriaorbust. If we go the immigrant visa route, where do you get the insurance of which you are referring?

Thanks Boiler. The Mexican travel insurance market is very limited for those over 70 with pre-existing conditions. I agree...the cost is extreme for very limited coverage. Agree also, that ACA is the only long term way to go...but we need a stop-gap method to get us there.

Timeline

The UK market is very limited as well, you can up to 80 or so get it, but it gets very pricey for obvious reasons.

It is an issue that comes up here from time to time, to be honest I do not expect an answer, basically who can I give a small some of money to for a lot of healthcare costs, just not logical.

My guess is that most who ask and go away just wing it, there are low cost clinics especially for Spanish speakers and use Emergency Care?

Not something I could have complicated for my Parents.

Obamcare has the advantage of subsidising those with pre existing conditions, but the age hike is impressive. In Colorado it was $1500 a month for Platinum and that of course does not cover every cost.

The vast majority of that age group have Medicare so not really an issue for them.

A Who track comes to mind....

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Your mother-in-law can always buy into medicare should she become a PR. It's going to be over $500/month. It's going to be expensive no matter what you do, due to her age and not being able to work to pay into the system.

http://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/costs-at-a-glance/costs-at-glance.html

Timeline

You have to be a PR for 5 years to buy in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.