juzero2

Divorce people what I should send to get my citizenship

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi I am divorce , I got my recident trought my ex husband, the we got divorce, but am all ready recident of USA 5 years and 2 months , what documents I should send to became citizen, we lose the marriage certificate, thank so much

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from Bringing Family to Citizenship forum *****

You are asking your question on a Saturday afternoon, give it a day or so to get answers.

You can get a copy of your marriage cert fairly easily if you got married in the USA. This Guide will show you what else you need: http://www.visajourney.com/content/naturalization_guide

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

All you really need is proof you have been a permanent resident of the US for at least five years. Your marriage is irrelevant if you are filing for residence based on five years as an LPR.

All the requirements are here and a check-list to check your eligibility:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You send in the essential documents as outlined in the guide and you also submit your divorce documents. Bring along your current marrage certificate, tax transcripts and whatever else they might ask you to bring to the interview. I would attempt to get a copy of your first marriage certificate as they might want to see it. better to have it and they don't want to see it. Not having something they want could delay your processing.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Hi I am divorce , I got my recident trought my ex husband, the we got divorce, but am all ready recident of USA 5 years and 2 months , what documents I should send to became citizen, we lose the marriage certificate, thank so much

You can go here to see the requirements. Since you have been a LPR for 5 years, all you need to do is meet the physical presence requirements and the tax requirements. It is up to you to give any information about your marriage and divorce, but not requried as you are filing based on the 5 year rule and not being married to a USC.

Good luck,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Dave&Roza, thank you for your answer. Do you, or anyone else, have a citation from USCIS stating that getting divorced after being a LPR will not be cause for getting citizenship declined, or even worse, removing the green card?

I just want to make 100% sure.

There isn't a particular rule that filters divorced applicants from N-400. However, if in cases when the candidate marries a US citizen, divorces him/her once (s)he gets the greencard then wait to apply for N-400....this may raise some flags. They check your file at N-400 prior to any decision. If you've removed conditions and already presented evidence, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

There isn't a particular rule that filters divorced applicants from N-400. However, if in cases when the candidate marries a US citizen, divorces him/her once (s)he gets the greencard then wait to apply for N-400....this may raise some flags. They check your file at N-400 prior to any decision. If you've removed conditions and already presented evidence, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

They are not going to re-litigate your divorce. Life changes happen. As long as you meet all the requirements, you will be fine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

No flags will be raised. The OP is filing based on 5 years of permanent residency,,,their divorce is irrelevent.

Please stop looking for problems where there aren't any...naturalization based on 5 years of residency is very straightforward. Just as yours was!!

This is the second post today you've been scaremongering on.

Edited by English Muffin

Timeline

This is the second post today you've been scaremongering on.

I like how you describe it smile.png Nevertheless, caution isn't a synonym for scaremongering.

I can provide several links for applicants scrutinized, some even denied, for divorcing too soon or raising suspicion. Keeping your head deep in the sand doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

Edited by Okalian

Wife's I-130:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I like how you describe it smile.png Nevertheless, caution isn't a synonym for scaremongering.

I can provide several links for applicants scrutinized, some even denied, for divorcing too soon or raising suspicion. Keeping your head deep in the sand doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

Then please do provide those links.

Timeline

Then please do provide those links.

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

I intentionally mentioned those who were denied. Many others had the issue brought up. Those denied were due to issues in their immigration history (how greencard was obtained and conditions removed). Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with my immigration's favorites list, but i remember this one case when the applicant was denied because of not just his 10-year greencard, but because of the initial condition greencard having issues, so they reviewed even beyond i-751. Heck, this case was denied because he changed employers too soon after getting his GC through employment. I think you get my point.

Wife's I-130:

yes thats , true , if u have not done anything wrong , let them check whatever they want , its base on 5 years not base on 3 years , u have nothing to worry about , you dont need your x husband in any way in this process at all, just send your n400 , divorce decree and current marriage cert , rest of things u can show them during interview , dont forget to send them 680 $ :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.