Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Got married to US Citizen in April 02.

Got temp green crad on Sep 02.

Filed I-751 jointly in July 04.

Filed for no fault divorce in Sep 04.

Got divorced in Nov 04.

I-751 approved in July 05. So,

No children. No property settlement or alimony agreement. I have no clue about the whereabouts of my ex wife. Its been over 5 years.

I was under the impression that everything is fine. I got my 10 year green card. We were married for 2.5 years. It was a legit marriage. Had all proof in I-751 application. We lived together for 3 years (6 months prior to marriage moved in together).

Now, after 6 years, I filed N400. It got denied. They said, that I was given green card in an error. Because we were divorced before I-751 was approved. They sent me a form to appeal for N400. My question is, if I appeal, most probably it will be denied too. Should I file I-751 waiver now separately? I am confused. My attorney says, file I-751 waiver and appeal for N400 also at the same time to buy some time, while I-751 is in process. Is that the right thing to do? I don't seem to have too many choices. Need some guidance. If I were to file I-751 waiver, what kind of documents should I include to support the marriage?

Edited by veeboo323

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Got temp green crad on Nov 02.

Filed I-751 jointly in Sep 04.

Got divorced in Nov 04.

I-750 approved in July 05. So,

I was under the impression that everything is fine. I got my 10 year green card. We were married for 2.5 years. It was a legit marriage. Had all proof in I-751 application. We lived together for 3 years (6 months prior to married moved in together).

Now, after 6 years, I filed N400. It got denied. They said, that I was given green card in an error. Because we were divorced before I-751 was approved. They sent me a form to appeal for N400. My question is, if I appeal, most probably it will be denied too. Should I file I-751 waiver now separately? I am confused. My attorney says, file I-751 waiver and appeal for N400 also at the same time to buy some time, while I-751 is in process. Is that the right thing to do? I don't seem to have too many choices. Need some guidance.

The lawyer is correct. because you divorce happened AFTER you filed jointly but before you were approved you would have had to have re-filed anyway so you're not technically out any money (except this N400 thing). So i would do exactly what your lawyer says personally.

Good luck!

Got divorced in Nov 04.

No children. No property settlement or alimony agreement. I have no clue about the whereabouts of my ex wife. Its been over 5 years.

I was under the impression that everything is fine. I got my 10 year green card. We were married for 2.5 years. It was a legit marriage. Had all proof in I-751 application. We lived together for 3 years (6 months prior to marriage moved in together).

Now, after 6 years, I filed N400. It got denied. They said, that I was given green card in an error. Because we were divorced before I-751 was approved. They sent me a form to appeal for N400. My question is, if I appeal, most probably it will be denied too. Should I file I-751 waiver now separately? I am confused. My attorney says, file I-751 waiver and appeal for N400 also at the same time to buy some time, while I-751 is in process. Is that the right thing to do? I don't seem to have too many choices. Need some guidance. If I were to file I-751 waiver, what kind of documents should I include to support the marriage?

Aslamo Alikum

Brother I am in same boat as yours. Contact with good Immigaration Attorney and do according to his advice, Allah app ko kamyab karay. maray leya be Duwa kerna.

Allah Hafiz

Filed: Other Timeline

The most important part of your story is missing.

So they denied your N-400. Sucks, but that's not the end of the world. What else? Do they want to pull your GC? What's actually happening?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

Got divorced in Nov 04.

Very normal, so normal that this is a prototype the conditions were removed in error. Do not be surprised. Divorcing soon after you filed the joint 751 is a NO NO! Now file your 751 waiver with good faith evidence with help of a lawyer.

Got divorced in Nov 04.

To some extend that shows how USCIS does the background check. 9 months after he divorced they approved his JOINT I-751. I think that was enough time for them to find out if he was still married because that's the basis he filed on! The easiest thing to find out and they didn't bother to do so! The only thing they check I think is criminal history, DUI,...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I'd follow your lawyer's advice which seems reasonable given that you filed jointly for ROC and then divorced BEFORE it was approved.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

The only thing they check I think is criminal history, DUI,...

True. They don't have the capacity to check every court filing in every court in America - how could they??

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

Thank you very much for all your replies. I got a second opinion from a very competent laywer in New York that some family member recommeded. He said, I cannot file another I-751 at this moment. The only thing I can do is to appeal for N400. According to him, if they put be in green card removal proceedings, only then I can file I-751. It sounds very strange. I read numerous forums, and I have seen some cases where writers said that they filed I-751 waiver after their original joint I-751 was approved. This lawyer also said that they may start green card revoking process.

3600rs - I tried to call you today, but no answer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you very much for all your replies. I got a second opinion from a very competent laywer in New York that some family member recommeded. He said, I cannot file another I-751 at this moment. The only thing I can do is to appeal for N400. According to him, if they put be in green card removal proceedings, only then I can file I-751. It sounds very strange. I read numerous forums, and I have seen some cases where writers said that they filed I-751 waiver after their original joint I-751 was approved. This lawyer also said that they may start green card revoking process.

I honestly would listen to your 1st lawyer. Your N400 was denied because you didn't meet the primary requirement for eligibility; Being a Permanent Resident. In the eyes of immigration, you were not supposed to have the greencard because it was approved based on a petition which you didn't meet the grounds for. Why do you think people go through the hassle of withdrawing their joint I-751 and refiling with a waiver if they get a divorce?

So you're dealing with 2 separate issues:

1. Having a valid permanent resident status

2. Eligibility for Citizenship (if and ONLY IF condition #1 is met)

Trace your problem from the source. If you have a leak, you don't keep adding more water, you fix the leak first THEN add water. Refile I-751 with a waiver.

But again, wonders happen with USCIS....

Edited by Okalian

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Timeline

Thank you brother. Will file I-751 waiver and N400, and update you as I proceed.

I have seen from my previous experience that USCIS seems to process the applications if an attorney representation is present. I am looking at about $4k in attorney fees to file above 2. Financial situation is a little tight. Does it make a difference to file by myself or should I definitely go through attorney?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you brother. Will file I-751 waiver and N400, and update you as I proceed.

I have seen from my previous experience that USCIS seems to process the applications if an attorney representation is present. I am looking at about $4k in attorney fees to file above 2. Financial situation is a little tight. Does it make a difference to file by myself or should I definitely go through attorney?

I understand how costly it seems...but honestly with such mess, I would go with an attorney. InshaAllah it'll go smooth.

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

I honestly would listen to your 1st lawyer. Your N400 was denied because you didn't meet the primary requirement for eligibility; Being a Permanent Resident. In the eyes of immigration, you were not supposed to have the greencard because it was approved based on a petition which you didn't meet the grounds for. Why do you think people go through the hassle of withdrawing their joint I-751 and refiling with a waiver if they get a divorce?

So you're dealing with 2 separate issues:

1. Having a valid permanent resident status

2. Eligibility for Citizenship (if and ONLY IF condition #1 is met)

Trace your problem from the source. If you have a leak, you don't keep adding more water, you fix the leak first THEN add water. Refile I-751 with a waiver.

But again, wonders happen with USCIS....

I totaly agree with you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.