TJandKC

CR-1 Visajourney to soon begin!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi everyone!

After lurking around on this site gathering information and reading personal experiences for a whole year, its finally time for my own visajourney with the love of my life. We are currently planning to get married in Norway sometime between October and November this year, and then file for the I-130 as soon as I can get our marriage certificate translated and apostille'd.

Here's our story in short; We met January 3rd in 2011, at a dollar beer night at Senor Frogs in Honolulu, Hawaii (Where she is from). The following 6 months were spent texting, facetiming, skyping, writing letters, you name it. And finally in July 2011, she visited me in Norway, and I was sold. We met while I was in my last year of getting my masters degree, so shortly after her visit, I landed a job. The perks with this job was my schedule, working for 2 weeks and having 4 weeks off. So needless to say, I had a lot of time off and also money to spare. I then decided to go and see her as often as I could, which turned out to be quite often. So almost every month up until this day, I've been traveling to Portland to see my love. I've always been traveling under the ESTA VWP, since I'm Norwegian, and I've never had any trouble getting in, despite my frequent visits. We even went as far as to rent an apartment together, with my name on the lease, water bill, sewage etc. And I also bought her a car that we have together (I'm on the title, but not on the insurrance paper)

On August 9th 2013 I decided to take the next step and propose. I had to leave shortly after to go home to Norway and back to work, so we planned on getting legally married when I were to return in September/October. Unfortunately, my employer decided that instead of going to work as scheduled, I were to take a one month course in Houston, Texas. As I had just returned from the US and only had 5 days in between my departure and new arrival, I was quite skeptic as to how the immigration officer would react to this. At my arrival in Houston, I was pulled aside for further questioning. This interrogation lasted for 6 hours, with a lot of waiting and just sitting around. I answered everything truthfully and told them my story. The officers believed my story and let me off with a warning saying that I should have the proper Visa in place for my next return. So instead of pushing my luck trying to travel to the US under VWP and get married, we decided that we should just get the legal part done over here in Norway. And also, reading on this forum, I came to the conclusion that applying for a B1/2 visa was useless, as I would have to state that my fiance is living in the US, and that would pretty much be an automatic denial.

When my fiance realized that this process was going to be time consuming and meant that we would have to spend some time apart, she insisted on consulting with a lawyer. I on the other hand have been intensively studying the CR-1 visa process and I'm fairly confident that we'll be able to do this on our own. Anyway, I told her that if she wanted to hear it from a lawyer, she was more then welcome to get a consultation hour.

A few interesting things from the Lawyer;

When he heard our story, he strongly advised that I were to be removed from any papers with both our names on it, to quote "hide our paper trail". When she asked about the I-130 application, he said to just submit marriage certificate and application, no other proof. He also said nothing about the G-325a. The lawyer wanted upwards of 3000 dollars just to help us with the visa application, not included fee's for the petition etc. Which in my opinion is horribly overpriced. Anyway, after she talked to him, she calmed down a bit since she pretty much got the same answers from him as I had previously told her. So together we decided that we should file and do this visa-application on our own. Our case should be pretty straightforward, since we are just one year apart in age, both with educations and jobs, and me being from a low-fraud country.With great help from the Visajourney community I'm sure that we will be able to complete and get this journey done with in no time!

And now to my questions:

• What is your opinion about the lawyers recommendation on "hiding our paper trail"?
  • In the I-130 application, I'd like to send at least photos of our history together and maybe a few affidavits to support our relationship together with the translated and apostille'd marriage certificate. But would sending things like our lease, electricty bill, water bill, sewage bill and car title benefit or work against us in this case? I'm thinking since these things were signed before I was a legal resident, would this affect our case negatively?
  • Is the G-325a still required to attach to the I-130 application? (I can see its mentioned in the guides for CR-1 here, but I'm not sure how up to date they are)
  • Is the DS-230 and DS-3032 obsolete now that the DS-260 and DS-261 is online?

Sorry for completely bombaring you guys with info in this post, but I think this will be the master thread for our visajourney, in addition to the timeline which I'll be updating regularely!

January 2nd 2011 - We met in Hawaii!
August 9th 2013 - Engaged!
November 1st 2013 - Married!
-----------------------------------------------
USCIS
December 16th 2013 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy, Priority date December 9th
September 24th 2014 - NOA2 Email/USCIS Notification!
September 26th 2014 - Shipping confirmation to DOS/NVC
NVC
October 2nd 2014 - Case received at NVC
October 20th 2014 - NVC Welcome email received/IIN and Case# Received/DS-261 Completed (Petitioner selected as Agent)
October 22th 2014 - AOS Bill invoiced/paid
October 24th 2014 - AOS Bill shows paid
November 4th 2014 - AOS/IV Package delivered to NVC (According to USPS)
November 5th 2014 - IV Bill invoiced/paid
November 7th 2014 - IV Bill shows paid
November 7th 2014 - DS260 Available/Completed
November 7th 2014 - NVC Received AOS/IV Package - 60 day wait begin!
January 2nd 2015 - Case closed
January 16th 2015 - Interview letter (P4)
January 30th 2015 - Medical (Approved)
----------------------------------------------
February 24th 2015 - Interview! : APPROVED! (Review in timeline)
March 5th 2015 - Visa received, POE Fee paid.
March 7th 2015 - POE Portland, OR. (Review in timeline)
April 15th - USCIS Case number shows: Card is being produced (Case number from ELIS fee portal)
May 15th - Card not yet received, call USCIS and put in service request.
June 15th - Card still not received, call USCIS and put in another request.
June 17th - ELIS portal shows case re-opened, card being produced. Changed to Card Sent with USPS tracking number
June 18th - Card received!

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone!

After lurking around on this site gathering information and reading personal experiences for a whole year, its finally time for my own visajourney with the love of my life. We are currently planning to get married in Norway sometime between October and November this year, and then file for the I-130 as soon as I can get our marriage certificate translated and apostille'd.

Here's our story in short; We met January 3rd in 2011, at a dollar beer night at Senor Frogs in Honolulu, Hawaii (Where she is from). The following 6 months were spent texting, facetiming, skyping, writing letters, you name it. And finally in July 2011, she visited me in Norway, and I was sold. We met while I was in my last year of getting my masters degree, so shortly after her visit, I landed a job. The perks with this job was my schedule, working for 2 weeks and having 4 weeks off. So needless to say, I had a lot of time off and also money to spare. I then decided to go and see her as often as I could, which turned out to be quite often. So almost every month up until this day, I've been traveling to Portland to see my love. I've always been traveling under the ESTA VWP, since I'm Norwegian, and I've never had any trouble getting in, despite my frequent visits. We even went as far as to rent an apartment together, with my name on the lease, water bill, sewage etc. And I also bought her a car that we have together (I'm on the title, but not on the insurrance paper)

On August 9th 2013 I decided to take the next step and propose. I had to leave shortly after to go home to Norway and back to work, so we planned on getting legally married when I were to return in September/October. Unfortunately, my employer decided that instead of going to work as scheduled, I were to take a one month course in Houston, Texas. As I had just returned from the US and only had 5 days in between my departure and new arrival, I was quite skeptic as to how the immigration officer would react to this. At my arrival in Houston, I was pulled aside for further questioning. This interrogation lasted for 6 hours, with a lot of waiting and just sitting around. I answered everything truthfully and told them my story. The officers believed my story and let me off with a warning saying that I should have the proper Visa in place for my next return. So instead of pushing my luck trying to travel to the US under VWP and get married, we decided that we should just get the legal part done over here in Norway. And also, reading on this forum, I came to the conclusion that applying for a B1/2 visa was useless, as I would have to state that my fiance is living in the US, and that would pretty much be an automatic denial.

When my fiance realized that this process was going to be time consuming and meant that we would have to spend some time apart, she insisted on consulting with a lawyer. I on the other hand have been intensively studying the CR-1 visa process and I'm fairly confident that we'll be able to do this on our own. Anyway, I told her that if she wanted to hear it from a lawyer, she was more then welcome to get a consultation hour.

A few interesting things from the Lawyer;

When he heard our story, he strongly advised that I were to be removed from any papers with both our names on it, to quote "hide our paper trail". When she asked about the I-130 application, he said to just submit marriage certificate and application, no other proof. He also said nothing about the G-325a. The lawyer wanted upwards of 3000 dollars just to help us with the visa application, not included fee's for the petition etc. Which in my opinion is horribly overpriced. Anyway, after she talked to him, she calmed down a bit since she pretty much got the same answers from him as I had previously told her. So together we decided that we should file and do this visa-application on our own. Our case should be pretty straightforward, since we are just one year apart in age, both with educations and jobs, and me being from a low-fraud country.With great help from the Visajourney community I'm sure that we will be able to complete and get this journey done with in no time!

And now to my questions:

• What is your opinion about the lawyers recommendation on "hiding our paper trail"? The lawyer is flat out wrong. The paper trail helps your case in my opinion. Gather as much "relationship trail" as possible. Most members on here will not recommend a lawyer unless one has a very complicated case.
  • In the I-130 application, I'd like to send at least photos of our history together and maybe a few affidavits to support our relationship together with the translated and apostille'd marriage certificate. But would sending things like our lease, electricty bill, water bill, sewage bill and car title benefit or work against us in this case? I'm thinking since these things were signed before I was a legal resident, would this affect our case negatively? Short answer is NO. In fact the evidence you mention will work in your favor. If anything they strongly help to prove the "Bona fides" of your relationship and/or "financial co-mingling". Here's the instructions to the I-130 petition: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf from the USCIS website.
  • Is the G-325a still required to attach to the I-130 application? (I can see its mentioned in the guides for CR-1 here, but I'm not sure how up to date they are). Yes G-325A is required for you both - You fill one and your spouse also fills one. See the guides for sample cover page and sample forms to be included in the petition.
  • Is the DS-230 and DS-3032 obsolete now that the DS-260 and DS-261 is online? Yes the DS260 and DS261 are online forms meant to replace the DS230 and DS3032 respectively. They are submitted electronically. Here's a link for you - read particularly the first two posts: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/457530-nvc-filers-october-2013/page-5. But I must say those forms are for the NVC stage of the process. So I would not focus too much on them until you file your petition and get your NOA1. Good luck!
Sorry for completely bombaring you guys with info in this post, but I think this will be the master thread for our visajourney, in addition to the timeline which I'll be updating regularely!

First of all, congratulations in advance on making plans to get married. Good for you both!

Secondly, be sure to use the "search" button at the top right corner. If you search using some key words, you will find thousands of stories/cases just like yours. Read those threads as a feeder for you moving forward. I would say over 98% of those stories had success getting their spouses visas.

Now see my bolded responses to your questions above. My very best to you both!

Edited by Boggy1974

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Timeline

First of all, congratulations in advance on making plans to get married. Good for you both!

Secondly, be sure to use the "search" button at the top right corner. If you search using some key words, you will find thousands of stories/cases just like yours. Read those threads as a feeder for you moving forward. I would say over 98% of those stories had success getting their spouses visas.

Now see my bolded responses to your questions above. My very best to you both!

Boggy, thanks for pointing me to that post. It really cleared things up in regards to the online forms. I'll definitely be sure to use the search button, as I have been doing for the past year :)

A quick question regarding documents needed for the NVC part;

As most of my documents will be in Norwegian, I'll require a translation, and I've understood I'll need to submit originals with copies.

So, do both the copy and original need to be accompanied by a translation?

And do these documents need an Apostille or is the translation enough?

Does the passport photocopy need a translation ?

(Its in both norwegian and english e.g Name/Navn, Birthdate/Fødselsdato, so is my birthcertifcate as well come to think of it)

Cheers!

USCIS
NVC
October 20th 2014 - NVC Welcome email received/IIN and Case# Received/DS-261 Completed (Petitioner selected as Agent)
April 15th - USCIS Case number shows: Card is being produced (Case number from ELIS fee portal)
June 17th - ELIS portal shows case re-opened, card being produced. Changed to Card Sent with USPS tracking number

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
And now to my questions:

• What is your opinion about the lawyers recommendation on "hiding our paper trail"?
  • In the I-130 application, I'd like to send at least photos of our history together and maybe a few affidavits to support our relationship together with the translated and apostille'd marriage certificate. But would sending things like our lease, electricty bill, water bill, sewage bill and car title benefit or work against us in this case? I'm thinking since these things were signed before I was a legal resident, would this affect our case negatively?
  • Is the G-325a still required to attach to the I-130 application? (I can see its mentioned in the guides for CR-1 here, but I'm not sure how up to date they are)
  • Is the DS-230 and DS-3032 obsolete now that the DS-260 and DS-261 is online?

Answers:

• Ignore that so-called recommendation that idiot lawyer made.
  • First of all, an I-130 is a petition form, not an application form. To answer your question, pictures are good, affidavits carry little to zero weight, marriage certificate is required, and sending items such as utility bills and car title benefits WILL NOT hurt your case.
  • Yes
  • Yes

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

My answers in bold and red:

A quick question regarding documents needed for the NVC part;

As most of my documents will be in Norwegian, I'll require a translation, and I've understood I'll need to submit originals with copies.

Since you will be interviewing at the Embassy in Stockholm, see what their requirements are for document translations. If they do not require translations for documents in Norwegian, then you will not need to have translations for anything.

So, do both the copy and original need to be accompanied by a translation? See above

And do these documents need an Apostille ? No

Does the passport photocopy need a translation ? No

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

As far as 'hiding paper trail', this is BS! If you haven't got anything to hide, don't hide anything. I think lawyers at times want to make you feel it's more scary and easy to mess everything up than it really is so you'll pay their ridiculous fee. Just my opinion.

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

If you pretty much do everything the lawyer told you not to do, you'll be good and in the clear.

Send all the proof you can. Send the appropriate forms with the I-130 petition. (You can find them in the example forms area of VJ).

Congratulations on your marriage!

You'll be in the city of roses soon enough. :)

March 27, 2013 Package sent
March 28, 2013 Package received by USCIS Chicago Lockbox
March 29, 2013 NOA-1 Received
June 26, 2013 Contacted State Senator Merkley, Senator Wyden & Representative Blumenauer (So they could verify status because of a little bit of an emergency situation)
July 3, 2013 Response and update from Senator Merkley
July 8, 2013 Response and update from Representative Blumenauer

July 30, 2013 Contacted DHS Ombudsman about situation

August 8, 2013 Response and update from Senator Wyden

August 14, 2013 Received Case Number from DHS Ombudsman

August 16, 2013 Senator Wyden filed expedite request to USCIS on my behalf

September 12, 2013 Ombudsman filed expedite request to USCIS on my behalf

September 27, 2013 Alien Registration Number Changed

September 27, 2013 I-130 Petition Approved (About 15 minutes after the alien registration number was changed)

October 9, 2013 NVC Case Number Received

October 9, 2013 DS-261 Completed and AOS Fee Paid

October 21, 2013 IV Fee Invoice Received

October 21, 2013 IV Fee Paid

October 29, 2013 DS-260 Completed

November 2, 2013 Sent AOS and IV documents to NVC

November 4, 2013 Documents Arrived at NVC

December 15, 2013 RFE Sent to NVC

January 27. 2014 NVC Completed Review (Any remaining documents can be brought to interview)

February 27, 2014 Interview Scheduled for April 10th, 2014

April 10th, 2014 Visa Approved

April 13th, 2014 Vissa Issued

April 22, 2014 Ready for Pick-up

April 23rd, 2014 Picked up visa from UPS

May 2nd, 2014 P.O.E. Dallas/Fortworth

event.png

event.png

Timeline

My answers in bold and red:

Okay, seems fair enough, I'll check with the embassy in Stockholm or over at the Scandinavian section on this forum.

I have no problem submitting originals of my birthcertificate, marriage certificate and police record, as these documents are easily obtainable from the Norwegian tax-register. And they all carry a stamp from the Norwegian Government.

However, reading on this page: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

It says; "All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC."

So do they not look at any of the specific paperwork at the NVC, and rather just forward them to the appropriate embassy?

USCIS
NVC

Timeline

Okay, seems fair enough, I'll check with the embassy in Stockholm or over at the Scandinavian section on this forum.

I have no problem submitting originals of my birthcertificate, marriage certificate and police record, as these documents are easily obtainable from the Norwegian tax-register. And they all carry a stamp from the Norwegian Government.

However, reading on this page: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

It says; "All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC."

So do they not look at any of the specific paperwork at the NVC, and rather just forward them to the appropriate embassy?

I'll take the last part of your post first; the NVC will check to see if the appropriate document is in the file and the forms are properly filled out before a file is forwarded.

As for translations, it's the Embassy or Consulate that makes the call. Some Embassies and Consulates do require document translations even though the documents themselves are in the official language of the country (China is an example of this). So, as I said before, go with what the Embassy in Stockholm tells you.

Our journey:

Spoiler

That lawyer sounds quite dangerous to people who want a visa in their passport, imo.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Timeline

I'll take the last part of your post first; the NVC will check to see if the appropriate document is in the file and the forms are properly filled out before a file is forwarded.

As for translations, it's the Embassy or Consulate that makes the call. Some Embassies and Consulates do require document translations even though the documents themselves are in the official language of the country (China is an example of this). So, as I said before, go with what the Embassy in Stockholm tells you.

Thank you! I'll definitely have to check with Stockholm then :)

And thanks to everyone else as well, I'll keep my timeline updated and keep this post alive once we get this ball rolling !

USCIS
NVC

Timeline

That lawyer sounds quite dangerous to people who want a visa in their passport, imo.

I agree. After everything I've been reading here, his suggestions to my fiance were quite odd, and this was seemingly a very reputable lawyer as well.

USCIS
NVC

I agree. After everything I've been reading here, his suggestions to my fiance were quite odd, and this was seemingly a very reputable lawyer as well.

TJandKC, I would let your fiancé read these posts above so he sees that that quark lawyer's advice were off base and dangerous. In fact, the lawyer was most definitely setting you guys up for failure!

Anyway, good luck to you guys!

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Congratz...get marry in Norway and file I 130

*This is just a question (I don't have the answer) could

it be the atty says don't give up lease and utility bills

because it would make it seem spending so much time

in the US and being on a lease seem to say he was living there

on vwp?

Congratz...get marry in Norway and file I 130

*This is just a question (I don't have the answer) could

it be the atty says don't give up lease and utility bills

because it would make it seem spending so much time

in the US and being on a lease seem to say he was living there

on vwp?

Supporting evidence is needed so the paper trail could only be helpful.

As to the no living in the US while on B1/B2/VWP I don't really understand the obsession on the forums. Thousands of foreigners own property in the US without issue. Canadian snow birds "live" in the US for 6 month a year without issue. So long as the terms of the visa/waiver are not broken through working etc I can't see this being an issue. Of course I would be interested if anyone has examples of this being an issue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.