kels_et_sam

should it be taking this long for a gc? also, using AP to leave country

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello!

I have a couple of questions. My husband (from France) and I got married back in January. We did the AOS right away (I believe we mailed it in on the 15th), and he had his biometrics appointment on February 8th. He received his work authorization and advanced parole in the mail on March 21st, but since then, we have had no news about his green card.

Is this normal? Should it be taking this long? Every time I go onto the USCIS website to track the process, it doesn't recognize our case ID # (or whatever it is called). I heard that is not always accurate because when I would track it for the work authorization and AP, it told me the same thing. But still, I am getting a little nervous because it has been over 7 months still we applied for AOS, and we haven't even had a visa appointment.

Also, we are going to France on September 4th (until the 15th). We bought the plane tickets after he got his AP, but I am panicking that the AP card is not enough. I want to make sure that he will be let back into the US on the 15th. He has never overstayed a visa, has no criminal record in the US or France, so there shouldn't be any red flags.

Please help calm my nervous because I am freaking out about these two things!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am on the same boat ! I am a January 2013 AOS filers and I am still waiting. It could take up to a year for those of us who are in the interview waiver pile at NBC. As for the AP, it should be ok but I would suggest that you bring the NOA1 you received for the I-485 and your mariage certificate just in case. Have a good trip !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Did you arrive on a K-1 visa or another visa?

I believe she did, according to her timeline. OP, the processing times are absolutely normal and nothing to worry about yet. Since your husband came on a K1 visa, you possibly got chosen as one of the potential interview waiver cases, where processing times are currently running at 8-12 months. I have been waiting since March, so we are all in the same boat.

My online case status also says "Case not found" (and did for the EAD/AP until they got approved) - the NBC is notorious for not updating their online system. As long as you have received your NOA letter and had the biometrics done, you should be fine.

As for the AP, I doubt you will have problems, but if I were you, I would call your airline and make sure they know the rules about AP's. I have heard about some not-so-knowledgeable airline employees giving people some trouble about the EAD/AP combo card (insisting on them having to have a paper AP). In the grand scheme of things, don't worry too much though!

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

I have left the country several times since I got my Advanced Parole card, no problems. The only difficulty is when you are boarding in CDG, the immigration check at boarding haven't always seen one and need to check with supervisor, other than that no problem.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved From Work, Student, Tourist-based AOS Process to Family-based AOS Progress Forum~

~AOS from K-1 Family-based Visa~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.