northerncalirob

Canadian Girlfriend coming for a visit, had problems crossing before...

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am writing on behave of my Canadian girlfriend who is coming to visit me in about 2 weeks. we want to hear what people have to say about our situation. here is some background, she is a 24 year old woman who started coming to the states about 2 years ago, while traveling. she had no problem the first time coming. when she wanted to come the next time, after only spending 2 months back in canada, and crossing on land, she was denied. they said she didn't have enough money for the time she was planning on spending in the states. she was told to produce facts that she lived in canada, lease, job, etc. she was told she was red flagged as well in the system. well, she went back home, got paperwork together and went to cross again. she was let in, but given a verbal warning to leave when her ticket said she would leave, which was 3 weeks. she stayed longer, because there was no stamp in her passport and it was just a verbal scare tactic it seems. she stayed for 4 months and when she returned to canada after the 4 month stay no one said anything, all was fine, which was the last time she was in the states. now, this time, she has been living in canada, renting and working for over 6 months now and wants to come for a visit in a few weeks. question: is there anything to worry about? should she still bring with her documentation, like her lease, pay stubs, etc? any advice, any issues anyone sees, anything you can tell us would be helpful. thank you

You certainly have to becareful about crossing and not taking it lightly. "No one said anything" when she came to Canada because she didn't encounter a US CBP officer. It is very likely it was more than just a scare tactic and they will see that you over stayed. This will certainly raise big red flags. That being said, She will still most likely be able to pass through the border, if she shows proof of strong ties to Canada.... Lease,Job, Bank accounts, doctors apointments,bills. It really depends on the CBP officer, But certainly don't take it lightly.

Yeah, she effed up by not leaving on time. Of course no one said anything - we don't have exit immigration in the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Interested to hear what happens.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

just to be clear, she didn't overstay the visa, which is 6 months, she stayed longer than the 2 weeks her plane ticket was for, and there was no stamp, what so ever in her passport concerning a date to exit, which is customary, i believe. thanks for the replies, hope to hear from more of you.

just to be clear, she didn't overstay the visa, which is 6 months, she stayed longer than the 2 weeks her plane ticket was for, and there was no stamp, what so ever in her passport concerning a date to exit, which is customary, i believe. thanks for the replies, hope to hear from more of you.

We understood that. It could be that they did not record that you were supposed to leave early. But it is a very iffy situation.

IMO she should put together TONS of proof of ties to Canada and try to cross. Most likely she will be fine. But she should be ready to get denied. Which, by the way, is not a big deal. It just means that they don't let you into the country then.

I am a Canadian with a USC spouse. I crossed the border and was denied because I didn't have proof of ties. The next day I went through the border succesfully with all neccessary papers.

We understood that. It could be that they did not record that you were supposed to leave early. But it is a very iffy situation.

IMO she should put together TONS of proof of ties to Canada and try to cross. Most likely she will be fine. But she should be ready to get denied. Which, by the way, is not a big deal. It just means that they don't let you into the country then.

I am a Canadian with a USC spouse. I crossed the border and was denied because I didn't have proof of ties. The next day I went through the border succesfully with all neccessary papers.

thanks for your reply. she has all of her proof together, lease, pay stubs, bills, bank acct. we just want a little further clarity, from your point of view, concerning her last visit, the one where she had a 2 week round trip plane ticket and ended up staying around 4 months before returning to canada, where she has been living and working for the last 6 months. the last time through the officer told her that she should return to canada in 2 weeks but didn't stamp anything indicating that in her passport, nor was she given a separate form stating so. she was going to return but as we looked into it, and posted in this forum, people tols us that the officer would have had to either stamp her passport stating such or have given her a form that would have needed to be signed above exiting the country at the two week mark, both of which she didn't have, just the verbal statement, which people said is often a scare tactic but not binding...what are your thoughts on that? her proof this time around is perfect, legit, etc. and it has been well over 6 months since she crossed last... thanks for your insights.....we just want to be as best informed as possible for her next crossing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

MY thoughts?!?!? It might matter. Who knows what was put into the computer.

But even if she is asked about it, it seems like she has a lo of ties to Canada

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'd say myself that it was a pretty risky gamble to take, basing the future of your girlfriend being able to visit on what some people told you.

It may be that something was added on computer to the record of your girlfriend entering that she would be gone within a set period and you decided to ignore them. I made the mistake myself many years ago of not taking the US border rules seriously.

I've not been able to go back for the last 10 years and don't know if I ever will be able to get back, even for a vacation.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

• 2 weeks later...

She should remember that she can spend up to 180 days per 365 (not per calendar year) in the USA. Also if the CBP says to say XX days, just stay XX days. I'm not sure why anyone would want to play around with this at all.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.