Bugs

Adding Foreign Wife to Checking and Credit Card Accounts

28 posts in this topic

I was trying to find specific answers to the following questions, and couldn't, so I thought I'd just ask here and see if anyone has experience/knows.

This is with Wells Fargo checking:

When adding her as a joint owner, will this require me to close my checking account and open up a new one with her?

Will she get a separate debit card with a separate number or with the same number?

If it is the same number, how does one order something online and have to enter billing info - do you have to enter both names or will either go through?

This is with a Wells Fargo credit card account:

Is it possible to add someone with no credit history and zero credit to your already existing credit card account as a JOINT owner? Or is the only option to add her as an authorized user?

Same question regarding her getting a separate card - is it with the same number or different number?

Thanks. Just want to be prepared with my options.

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

You can usually change a solo account into a joint account. Your wife would receive a new debit card with a different number to your own.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

I was trying to find specific answers to the following questions, and couldn't, so I thought I'd just ask here and see if anyone has experience/knows.

This is with Wells Fargo checking:

When adding her as a joint owner, will this require me to close my checking account and open up a new one with her?

Will she get a separate debit card with a separate number or with the same number?

If it is the same number, how does one order something online and have to enter billing info - do you have to enter both names or will either go through?

This is with a Wells Fargo credit card account:

Is it possible to add someone with no credit history and zero credit to your already existing credit card account as a JOINT owner? Or is the only option to add her as an authorized user?

Same question regarding her getting a separate card - is it with the same number or different number?

Thanks. Just want to be prepared with my options.

For your bank account you can add her as a joint owner. she will get a separate card with a different number and will also be able to have her own log in and her own password to access the account online. when purchasing things online you do not have to use both your names, either one is fine.

As far as I know you cannot add her as a joint user to your credit card, she will be denied based on having no credit history. You can add her as an authorized user. She will receive a card with the same number.

For your bank account you can add her as a joint owner. she will get a separate card with a different number and will also be able to have her own log in and her own password to access the account online. when purchasing things online you do not have to use both your names, either one is fine.

As far as I know you cannot add her as a joint user to your credit card, she will be denied based on having no credit history. You can add her as an authorized user. She will receive a card with the same number.

Thanks, this helps.

I'm concerned about just adding her as an authorized user, because usually statements will only show my name in that case, which is not the best of circumstances for proving co-mingling of finances. Hence, the reason I'd like her to be a joint owner instead. So is the only reason I cannot add her as a joint owner to my credit card account instead of just an authorized user is lack of credit? Meaning that, once she gets some semblance of credit, I can then ditch the authorized user privileges and flat out add her as a joint owner?

Can another option be getting a second credit card in both our names, with a secured limit right away, and using that card instead?

Also, another thought came up. What about car loans? Is it possible to add her to my existing loan?

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

When time comes to apply for AOS & ROC, photocopy the two credit cards (with the identical numbers) in each of your names.

Also, a very overlooked means of proving "co-mingling" is to draft Wills, medical powers of attorney, mutual HIPAA releases, et al. -- you to her and her to you. I remain very surprised that so many ROC applicants -- and even AOS applicants -- don't have these things prepared and ready to send, because they're excellent evidence.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Well, there's 'being foreign' outside of the country

and then

'being foreign' inside of the country.

When outside of the country, it's really difficult, as The Patriot Act Applies.

When inside the country, it's really easy.

HINT - go to SSA office on day 15 past POE date, apply for SSN, come back next day, get SSN.

------

So, since you're lass is still chasing the K-1 visa and today is still 'before the interview' -

I strongly suggest you don't worry about this until she is in the country.

----

If you think you need it for a wire transfer this week or next - don't fret - she can wire money to your account without her name on it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

When time comes to apply for AOS & ROC, photocopy the two credit cards (with the identical numbers) in each of your names.

Also, a very overlooked means of proving "co-mingling" is to draft Wills, medical powers of attorney, mutual HIPAA releases, et al. -- you to her and her to you. I remain very surprised that so many ROC applicants -- and even AOS applicants -- don't have these things prepared and ready to send, because they're excellent evidence.

Great advice. Thanks. Any advice on who to go to to draft these? Lawyers can be expensive lol.

barata-gif-3.gif

Well, there's 'being foreign' outside of the country

and then

'being foreign' inside of the country.

When outside of the country, it's really difficult, as The Patriot Act Applies.

When inside the country, it's really easy.

HINT - go to SSA office on day 15 past POE date, apply for SSN, come back next day, get SSN.

------

So, since you're lass is still chasing the K-1 visa and today is still 'before the interview' -

I strongly suggest you don't worry about this until she is in the country.

----

If you think you need it for a wire transfer this week or next - don't fret - she can wire money to your account without her name on it.

Well, by foreign I mean here - married on a K-1 visa. And yes, we plan on getting a SSN for her first thing.

I will have to disagree with you on not worrying about such things until she comes here. It is better to be prepared for this, as well as a lot of things, ahead of time, rather than to be suprised, stressed, and busy researching all this on the fly while she is here, adding delays and mistakes. She will most definitely appreciate a smoother transition as she makes the adjustment to life in America. What's more, we have time to do so while we wait anyways.

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Thanks, this helps.

I'm concerned about just adding her as an authorized user, because usually statements will only show my name in that case, which is not the best of circumstances for proving co-mingling of finances. Hence, the reason I'd like her to be a joint owner instead. So is the only reason I cannot add her as a joint owner to my credit card account instead of just an authorized user is lack of credit? Meaning that, once she gets some semblance of credit, I can then ditch the authorized user privileges and flat out add her as a joint owner?

Can another option be getting a second credit card in both our names, with a secured limit right away, and using that card instead?

Also, another thought came up. What about car loans? Is it possible to add her to my existing loan?

It's tricky because even though you will be married, credit histories are not a 50-50 thing. Anything you have co mingled is 100 percent each of your responsibilities. You cannot simply just add her to your car loan because it will change your interest rate. You were approved for the loan you have based on your credit history. if you try to add her, they will take note of the fact that she has no history at all and hike up your rate. When applying for anything joint, lenders typically calculate interest rates based on the lower score.

When she comes over, add her as an authorized user. When she gets a job/income coming in, she can show this to the bank and get her own secured card. that way she can begin building up her own credit history and then you and she can apply for a joint credit card account later.

TBone brings up some good points about co mingling evidence as well.

In my opinion, for the AOS what you will need is, joint banking account, credit card with her as an authorized user, joint utility bills, internet bill, cell phone bill, joint lease. that's really all you need to get past this part. worked for my hubs and me, anyway.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks, this helps.

I'd like to share my experience about getting car loans. My husband traded in his vehicle last month and he added me as a coborrower. We got our loan through the dealership. A week after signing the paperwork, the dealership called my husband and asked him to sign another paperwork because they cannot add me as a coborrower. The reason behind was because my green card will expire before the contract ends. I don't know how it works but every bank follows different procedures so it might be worth a try.

Edited by Emmy & Wade

Timeline

Well, by foreign I mean here - married on a K-1 visa. And yes, we plan on getting a SSN for her first thing.

I will have to disagree with you on not worrying about such things until she comes here. It is better to be prepared for this, as well as a lot of things, ahead of time, rather than to be suprised, stressed, and busy researching all this on the fly while she is here, adding delays and mistakes. She will most definitely appreciate a smoother transition as she makes the adjustment to life in America. What's more, we have time to do so while we wait anyways.

Oh pardon - you've a point - to do the research before she arrives.

When I say 'don't worry about this stuff prior' - I was alluding to action -

ie - take no action till :

1. she has SSN and

2. yer married and have a marriage certificate in yer hand.

Research time for now, you betcha.

FWIW - this topic has been covered before. I invite you to use the advanced search tool,

search term = 'Capital One'

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

It's tricky because even though you will be married, credit histories are not a 50-50 thing. Anything you have co mingled is 100 percent each of your responsibilities. You cannot simply just add her to your car loan because it will change your interest rate. You were approved for the loan you have based on your credit history. if you try to add her, they will take note of the fact that she has no history at all and hike up your rate. When applying for anything joint, lenders typically calculate interest rates based on the lower score.

When she comes over, add her as an authorized user. When she gets a job/income coming in, she can show this to the bank and get her own secured card. that way she can begin building up her own credit history and then you and she can apply for a joint credit card account later.

TBone brings up some good points about co mingling evidence as well.

In my opinion, for the AOS what you will need is, joint banking account, credit card with her as an authorized user, joint utility bills, internet bill, cell phone bill, joint lease. that's really all you need to get past this part. worked for my hubs and me, anyway.

For AOS? Or do you mean for ROC? It was my understanding that the requiring evidence of co-mingling for AOS won't be as extensive anyways since you will be appying for that right away.

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

ya, financial co-mingling is done for RoC.

Those that do it for AOS mostly are adjusting from tourist, work, or student visas.

It's just not required when adjusting from a K-1 visa.

I'd like to share my experience about getting car loans. My husband traded in his vehicle last month and he added me as a coborrower. We got our loan through the dealership. A week after signing the paperwork, the dealership called my husband and asked him to sign another paperwork because they cannot add me as a coborrower. The reason behind was because my green card will expire before the contract ends. I don't know how it works but every bank follows different procedures so it might be worth a try.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like a joint car loan is a good idea anyways if you (the USC) has stellar credit, as it would bring it down.

I do have a technicality question though, and that is, when the loan is paid off, would the title be in your name only or can it be transferred to joint ownership at that point?

barata-gif-3.gif

Oh pardon - you've a point - to do the research before she arrives.

When I say 'don't worry about this stuff prior' - I was alluding to action -

ie - take no action till :

1. she has SSN and

2. yer married and have a marriage certificate in yer hand.

Research time for now, you betcha.

FWIW - this topic has been covered before. I invite you to use the advanced search tool,

search term = 'Capital One'

Oh okay, yes, I agree with that part. None of this can be really taken care of now. Just doing preparatory research is all. :D

barata-gif-3.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.