abbi627

Stress and life in the US

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey guys. I'm just taking a break from anything petition related (LOL). It is now finished and I am just waiting to get the G325A back from my husband and I will file it.

Anyway I was just thinking about how different life is here from the way it is in Morocco. I have tried to explain to my husband about how stressful life is here and how different it is. My husband is a very laid-back person. Nothing rattles him. And he says he understands it is stressful here. But does he really get it? I have to wonder how he will handle it. I try to make sure he is prepared for what it will be like here.

Do any of you wonder if your husband reallys gets it about life here? And those of you who have your husbands here with you - how did they handle it? Was it a huge shock to them or did they really know what to expect?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The first year is the hardest! Just take it day by day and have patience. When my husband arrived here I made sure he got acquainted with his surroundings. He signed up for ESL classes which helped him meet other people who were new immigrants as well. Once he received his EAD he felt confident enough to look for a job on his own and succeeded fast. There were some bumps along the way but we managed. We now look back and laugh! Enjoy the calm before the storm lol

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband is also laid back but that didn't prevent life from being rough for the first few years. Yes, years. Nothing could've prepared him for how life is here. He still fully believes that life here is better and there are better opportunities here but he did learn the hard way that things do not come easy. That realization was probably the hardest part. When I look back at the past 6 years since he's come here, I'm still surprised we made it. There were so many times I wanted to throw in the towel and I'm sure he probably feels the same.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's an interesting discussion, because I think both my fiancé and I tend to think of Egypt as more stressful. My fiance is an Egyptian Protestant Christian and he has had to deal his whole life with being a minority in a country whose religion and government/public life are not as separate as ours. He has to deal with a lot of hassle and worry especially related to protecting his mom and sister, and he doesn't enjoy my visits for the same reason. While in some ways America has a faster pace, there are other ways in which he might feel more comfortable here and not less. It's really popular for Americans to be critical of their own country, and many times it is warranted, but I think he's going to enjoy the "freedom" we often scoff at or take for granted.

However, people usually become attached to what they grow up with. He disagrees with me, but I predict there are going to be a lot of things he will miss as well. We'll see! :) I really like Egypt too, although it is more uncomfortable for me for those same religious/social reasons, so I'm interested to see how our perspectives of both countries develop.

We met when Heather travelled to Egypt to be an au pair!

Our K1 Visa Journey:

12/19/12- NOA1 -VSC

--- moved to "another office" 5/24/13

--- moved to "local office" 5/29/13

--- "is now being processed at a USCIS office" 5/30/13 ... what??

5/30/13- Transfer to TSC

6/18/13- NOA2

7/16/13- NVC Assigned Case #

7/29/13- Case Arrived at Embassy

7/31/13- Packet 3 Received (completed and sent back in 5 days)

1/16/14- Interview Assigned

1/21/14- Interview

2/03/14- Visa Issued!!

4/09/14- Entry into America (JFK)

4/23/14- MARRIED in local courthouse

4/29/14- AoS packet completed and mailed

5/02/14- NoA for AoS received

5/09/14- Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

6/04/14- Biometrics Appointment

7/30/14- EAD/AP Combo Card Received in Mail

Need help with your visa but don't want to pay expensive legal fees? Take an online course --> www.myvisaclassroom.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I tell my husband, too... He wants to retire to Morocco. Which is great, but to get to the point of being able to..... I don't think he realizes how long it will be..... He's so optimistic! All I can do is be here for him and work with him to achieve that goal.

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Timeline

Yeah my husband is so optimisitic too. And so full of dreams. I know he can be successful here. He is a hard worker. But I just don't think anything I tell him is going to prepare him for the changes he is going to face. That worries me. And he is so close with his family. I love watching him with his parents and his siblings. It makes me feel sad to imagine how it is going to feel for him to say goodbye to them. I think it is going to be much harder than he has imagined.

Someone asked about the difference in Morocco and the US. Well this is what I noticed. My husband lives on a farm in a village. So they work very hard. It is not an easy life. Not at all. But it is a simpler life. There is no rush to the day. My husband does not own a watch. Things get done when they get done. Three times a day the family gathers together for meals. And it is not a hurried grab something to eat and hurry out the door meal. Everyone sits together and eats and then talks and laughs. I miss those family meals. Prayer times are important times of the day too.

My husband works very very hard. I have seen him have to work all through the night. I have seen him working in the hot sun in terrible heat. He knows all about hard work. But I think he will miss the more simple family oriented life that he has lived all his life. He is used to staying up late talking and watching TV with his family. Sometimes eating dinner at 11:00 pm or later. Here he will have to be getting up to an alarm clock ringing at 5:00 am and get dressed and get to work and you have to hurry because it is rush hour and traffiic is bad. The stress of working for someone else. The stress of money - I don't think he gets it just how high the cost of living is here. The prejudice he may have to face from others.

But I just want him to hurry and be here. I can imagine the adjustment will not be easy. That's why I am already thinking ahead of ways to make things easier for him.

Yeah my husband is so optimisitic too. And so full of dreams. I know he can be successful here. He is a hard worker. But I just don't think anything I tell him is going to prepare him for the changes he is going to face. That worries me. And he is so close with his family. I love watching him with his parents and his siblings. It makes me feel sad to imagine how it is going to feel for him to say goodbye to them. I think it is going to be much harder than he has imagined.

Someone asked about the difference in Morocco and the US. Well this is what I noticed. My husband lives on a farm in a village. So they work very hard. It is not an easy life. Not at all. But it is a simpler life. There is no rush to the day. My husband does not own a watch. Things get done when they get done. Three times a day the family gathers together for meals. And it is not a hurried grab something to eat and hurry out the door meal. Everyone sits together and eats and then talks and laughs. I miss those family meals. Prayer times are important times of the day too.

My husband works very very hard. I have seen him have to work all through the night. I have seen him working in the hot sun in terrible heat. He knows all about hard work. But I think he will miss the more simple family oriented life that he has lived all his life. He is used to staying up late talking and watching TV with his family. Sometimes eating dinner at 11:00 pm or later. Here he will have to be getting up to an alarm clock ringing at 5:00 am and get dressed and get to work and you have to hurry because it is rush hour and traffiic is bad. The stress of working for someone else. The stress of money - I don't think he gets it just how high the cost of living is here. The prejudice he may have to face from others.

But I just want him to hurry and be here. I can imagine the adjustment will not be easy. That's why I am already thinking ahead of ways to make things easier for him.

We could always use more good, organic farmers in America. And I know many farmers here, who live that same lifestyle that you mention. Family, hard work and faith. smile.png

Edited by Ozz777

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm glad my husband and I weren't married the first year he was in the US. unsure.png

He came here as a student. I knew him before he came, as I had been to Jordan as an intern twice. He did stay in my home, but he had his own room and we had a rather undefined, grey-area friendship/relationship. If we had been engaged or married for that first year, I don't think we would have survived it.

He's not a laid back kind of guy, a little obsessive/compulsive, and does not adapt to change quickly. The first year SUCKED, and particularly the first 6 months. He had multiple freak-outs.

BUT

I think that year helped him realize what he wanted from his life and from me, and I don't think he could have come to those conclusions without the major disruption in his life caused by his move here. Now, he misses people from home, but he does not miss the life there. It's hard here, but at least he sees a future...

07/19/12 - Married

Adjustment of Status from F-1 Student Visa: Day 00 - 07/20/12 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

Day 03 - 07/23/12 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Chicago - signed for by D Colonna

Day 11 - 08/03/12 - Acceptance confirmation texts and emails

Day 14 - 08/06/12 - Checks cleared

Day 18 - 08/10/12 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 08/06/12 for appointment on 08/30/12)

Day 22 - 08/14/12 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there!)

Day 25 - 08/17/12 - Received NOAs

Day 36 - 08/28/12 - Notice via text of interview on 10/02/12

Day 38 - 08/30/12 - Received interview notice hard copy

Day 65 - 09/24/12 - Notice via text of I-131 approval

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Interview

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Text messages of APPROVAL of I-130 and I-485 - Card in Production

Day 78 - 10/09/12 - Received Welcome Notice

Day 80 - 10/11/12 - Received Conditional Green Card

Removal of Conditions: Day 00 - 07/07/14 - Sent I-751

Day 03 - 07/10/14 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in California

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Check cleared

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Received NOA (dated 07/10/14)

Day 14 - 07/21/14 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 07/17/14 for appointment on 08/01/14)

Day 18 - 07/25/14 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there...again!)

Day 38 - 08/14/14 - Text message of APPROVAL of 1-751 - Card in Production

Day 43 - 08/19/14 - Notice via text indicating card has been mailed

Day 44 - 08/20/14 - Notice via text with USPS tracking number

Day 46 - 08/22/14 - Received Permanent Green Card

Naturalization: Day 00 - 08/21/15 - Sent N-400

Day 03 - 08/24/15 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Arizona

Day 07 - 08/28/15 - Check cleared

Day 10 - 08/31/15 - Acceptance confirmation text and email

Day 14 - 09/04/15 - Received NOA (dated 08/28/15)

Day 24 - 09/14/15 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 09/05/15 for appointment on 09/21/15)

Day 28 - 09/18/15 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office

Day 32 - 09/22/15 - Notice via text and email indicating in line for testing and interview

Day 35 - 09/25/15 - Notice via text and email indicating interview is scheduled

Day 41 - 10/01/15 - Received interview appointment notice (dated 09/28/15 for appointment on 11/03/15)
Day 73 - 11/03/15 - Interview

Day 74 - 11/04/15 - Text message of APPROVAL of N-400 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Day 75 - 11/05/15 - Received Oath Ceremony appointment notice (dated 11/04/15 for appointment on 11/17/15)

Day 87 - 11/17/15 - Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN

I have tried to explain to my husband about how stressful life is here and how different it is. My husband is a very laid-back person. Nothing rattles him. And he says he understands it is stressful here. But does he really get it? I have to wonder how he will handle it.

My husband appeared to be a very "laid back" person as well. What I didn't realize before he came was that he simply didn't have much to stress out about. He lived with his mother and father = no family to support, no rent/mortgage to pay. He had his own little store and went to work when he felt like it--"I'll be in around nine or ten" doesn't really fly here when you're expected to be at work. He had no children, no car payment, the HOA wasn't up his azz because the grass was two inches too long. When he said "I'll be there in ten minutes", it really meant sometime within the next hour or so. So he was laid back because he could be.

I did try to explain to him what to expect when he got here, but either he didn't believe it, or he didn't understand.

My husband is also laid back but that didn't prevent life from being rough for the first few years. Yes, years. Nothing could've prepared him for how life is here. He still fully believes that life here is better and there are better opportunities here but he did learn the hard way that things do not come easy. That realization was probably the hardest part. When I look back at the past 6 years since he's come here, I'm still surprised we made it. There were so many times I wanted to throw in the towel and I'm sure he probably feels the same.

^^^ ditto to everything she said.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Bingo! That is exactly what it is...laid back due to not having any big responsibilities. Yes, my husband had a job and yes, he worked long hours but he didn't have anything to really worry about. His mother and sisters catered to him. He didn't have kids, a house, or a wife to deal with. Even though we were married for a year before he came to the US, he didn't have a wife to deal with. So yeah exactly everything mahboula says are reasons for the laid back attitude. My husband was not/is not as laid back here as he was in Egypt. He tried to be because he was new here and had a wife who he THOUGHT was going to take care of everything. That got old quick and contributed to many of our problems. He did finally realize that having me do everything was not helping him at all.

My husband appeared to be a very "laid back" person as well. What I didn't realize before he came was that he simply didn't have much to stress out about. He lived with his mother and father = no family to support, no rent/mortgage to pay. He had his own little store and went to work when he felt like it--"I'll be in around nine or ten" doesn't really fly here when you're expected to be at work. He had no children, no car payment, the HOA wasn't up his azz because the grass was two inches too long. When he said "I'll be there in ten minutes", it really meant sometime within the next hour or so. So he was laid back because he could be.

I did try to explain to him what to expect when he got here, but either he didn't believe it, or he didn't understand.

^^^ ditto to everything she said.

Obviously YMMV and not everyone's situation is the same. It's awesome when a man can come here and everything falls into place and he assumes the responsibility that he signed up for, etc. It can happen but it's rare.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

avoiding the "mena imported son syndrome" is crucial. these are grown men. treating them as such doesn't always guarantee they will act like grown men, but there's no upside whatsoever to treating them like petulant teenagers

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline

My husband is still in his first year here, there has been a lot of stress, for the both of us. He is from a wealthy family in Amman, and before he was here, money was never an issue for him. He lived at home with a mom who cooked every meal, with a live in housekeeper, everything was done for him his entire life until he entered the US. He did work full time, but it was a very low stress job, it was more of a social thing. I work full time, and my schedule is never the same as I work in a hotel, and in that industry things are constantly changing depending upon the time of year and occupancy, so I am not here many nights to cook dinner, I get home at 9pm or later. My days off I spend cleaning the house, doing laundry, shopping for the week and running around with the kids, so I am not available to do many of the things he is used to. He has never complained once, he pitches in and does what he can whenever he can, and ALWAYS with a smile on his face, he is a happy guy.

It took 5 months before he found a job here, and it was at Wal-mart Distribution center loading trailers, a far cry from his computer engineering job in Jordan, but of course, being the happy guy he is, he was glad he finally found employment.After about 2 months at the hell hole of Wal-mart he injured his back, and his scum bag of a manager lied to the workers comp insurance company, stating he didn't injure his back in work, so they denied his claim and forced him into unpaid leave of absence for 8 weeks. We hired a lawyer, and he won his case in front of the Dept of labor, they paid him 60% of his back pay, 20% of which went to paying the attorney. The dept of labor ordered Wal-mart to put him back to work light duty, and after returning to work for 2 weeks, they fired him. His manager said he was late coming back from break by 2 minutes, which he knows he wasn't, and they fired him for it. So you want to talk about stress? It has been overwhelming. The entire time he never once complained and stayed calm, cool and collected. Me, not so much. I am beyond pissed off that they have done this to him. He needs surgery on his back, and all his manager cared about was getting him fired. It was in direct retaliation because of the fact that his manager's lies came out at the DOL hearing. SO now back to hiring another attorney who specializes in wrongful termination. ranting33va.gif

Right before he was fired he got an internship in his field, working for an international high tech company that he was supposed to work on his days off from Wal-mart, FINALLY someone willing to give him a chance. When he was fired he approached them to ask if he could work full time, and they said yes dancin5hr.gif The job is a contract that ends in December, but there is a very good chance they will hire him permanently at the end.

As his wife I just want him to be happy. Although he loves it here in NH, he misses the fast pace of Amman. He talks to his family and friends in one way or another every day. We get along great, and we are always laughing. Money is tight for now as I have a son starting college in a few weeks, but we will get through it. It's nice being married to someone who looks at everything in life with a positive attitude. Life is always stressful no matter who you are, or where you are from, you just have to make the best of it and you will be fine!!! goofy.gif

Timeline

Haha! My husband was a bit of a spoiled rich kid, too. He and his family never worried about money, and now he's learning what that's like. It won't last forever, as both of us will be finishing school in the next year or so, but for now it's a struggle. It sounds like something my grandmother would say, but I honestly think it's good for him.

07/19/12 - Married

Adjustment of Status from F-1 Student Visa: Day 00 - 07/20/12 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

Day 03 - 07/23/12 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Chicago - signed for by D Colonna

Day 11 - 08/03/12 - Acceptance confirmation texts and emails

Day 14 - 08/06/12 - Checks cleared

Day 18 - 08/10/12 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 08/06/12 for appointment on 08/30/12)

Day 22 - 08/14/12 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there!)

Day 25 - 08/17/12 - Received NOAs

Day 36 - 08/28/12 - Notice via text of interview on 10/02/12

Day 38 - 08/30/12 - Received interview notice hard copy

Day 65 - 09/24/12 - Notice via text of I-131 approval

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Interview

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Text messages of APPROVAL of I-130 and I-485 - Card in Production

Day 78 - 10/09/12 - Received Welcome Notice

Day 80 - 10/11/12 - Received Conditional Green Card

Removal of Conditions: Day 00 - 07/07/14 - Sent I-751

Day 03 - 07/10/14 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in California

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Check cleared

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Received NOA (dated 07/10/14)

Day 14 - 07/21/14 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 07/17/14 for appointment on 08/01/14)

Day 18 - 07/25/14 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there...again!)

Day 38 - 08/14/14 - Text message of APPROVAL of 1-751 - Card in Production

Day 43 - 08/19/14 - Notice via text indicating card has been mailed

Day 44 - 08/20/14 - Notice via text with USPS tracking number

Day 46 - 08/22/14 - Received Permanent Green Card

Naturalization: Day 00 - 08/21/15 - Sent N-400

Day 03 - 08/24/15 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Arizona

Day 07 - 08/28/15 - Check cleared

Day 10 - 08/31/15 - Acceptance confirmation text and email

Day 14 - 09/04/15 - Received NOA (dated 08/28/15)

Day 24 - 09/14/15 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 09/05/15 for appointment on 09/21/15)

Day 28 - 09/18/15 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office

Day 32 - 09/22/15 - Notice via text and email indicating in line for testing and interview

Day 35 - 09/25/15 - Notice via text and email indicating interview is scheduled

Day 41 - 10/01/15 - Received interview appointment notice (dated 09/28/15 for appointment on 11/03/15)
Day 73 - 11/03/15 - Interview

Day 74 - 11/04/15 - Text message of APPROVAL of N-400 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Day 75 - 11/05/15 - Received Oath Ceremony appointment notice (dated 11/04/15 for appointment on 11/17/15)

Day 87 - 11/17/15 - Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN

Timeline

I will say this. Even though I am worried about my husband adjusting to life here in the USA - it is not because he is spoiled. I lived there long enough to see that. He washes his own clothes. He helps with the cooking. He has no problem cleaning the house. In fact I saw all of his brothers doing this. He can cook, clean and sew better than I can LOL. So that is not really a worry for me. My worry is about the difference in lifestyle, the fast pace of life here and the constant stress over money, jobs, and all that good stuff. And I worry about how much he will miss his family as they are so close.

Right now I just wish he was here. I know the adjustment will be hard but I miss him so much.

To Mimolicious: that is horrible how Wal-mart treated your husband! I hope you get a good lawyer. Really...firing someone for coming back late by two minutes? And you said he was not even late. But even if he was....2 minutes??? That is so ridiculous. They fired him over the workers comp and I hope you get a good lawyer that can prove that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.