ThailandExpat

How to compute income for I-864

57 posts in this topic

Time for you to study the I-864 instructions. I have. You clearly haven't.

What's with the smartass answer?

If you're not going to be nice, don't bother replying.

We Met in DC: 09 July 2008

Got Married in CT: 01 May 2009

Moved to Europe: 07 July 2009

DOMA Defeated: 26 June 2013

USCIS:

07/16/2013 - I-130 Sent via DHL

07/18/2013 - I-130 Received at Chicago Lockbox

07/20/2013 - NOA1

01/08/2014 - Transfer to CSC

02/11/2014 - NOA2: Approved!

NVC:

02/21/2014 - I-130 Received by NVC

03/28/2014 - AOS Invoice Paid

04/02/2014 - IV Invoice Paid

04/03/2014 - DS-260 Completed

04/10/2014 - AOS & IV Packages Received by NVC

04/30/2014 - Received I-864 Checklist

05/05/2014 - Revised I-864 Received by NVC

05/28/2014 - Case Complete!

Consular Processing:

xx/xx/2014 - Medical Exam

xx/xx/2014 - Visa Interview

xx/xx/2014 - Entry into U.S.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Does my dad have to list her income at all and forgo the I-864a altogether? His income was in excess of 100k which is by far more than sufficent to sponsor someone.

I believe that that every year that I have been in Thailand I have been below the threshold. Would I write "NA: incole below filing theshold" for ever year and add a copy of the 1040ez as addtional proof?

You're not paying attention. A 1040EZ is a tax return. If you filed, you filed. If you didn't you didn't. I gave you instructions for either circumstance.

You said your dad listed her income, so I advised you on that basis. Of course, he can submit a new I-864 and list only his own income but if he does, he must submit tax return copies including all forms, schedules and W2 forms so it is clear the past income stated is his own. In the past income section, he states only his portion of the income.

Use the new I-864 now. Really. That discussion started before the new form was mandatory.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have to use w2's in addition to his state/federal tax returns? What do you mean by "schedules"?

Schedules are additional forms you file with the IRS. For example you fill out a schedule C for profit/loss.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

What's with the smartass answer?

If you're not going to be nice, don't bother replying.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm answering your questions because I actually know the answers. Then you want me to justify my answers. My answers can be found in the instructions. Careful study of all form instructions will be CRITICAL to your ultimate success. So, rather than asking to be spoon fed each answer to each question as it comes up, you are far wiser to study the instructions first, then ask the remaining questions.

You insistence on being spoon fed is becoming a real pain. Time to grow up and do some homework of your own.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm answering your questions because I actually know the answers. Then you want me to justify my answers. My answers can be found in the instructions. Careful study of all form instructions will be CRITICAL to your ultimate success. So, rather than asking to be spoon fed each answer to each question as it comes up, you are far wiser to study the instructions first, then ask the remaining questions.

You insistence on being spoon fed is becoming a real pain. Time to grow up and do some homework of your own.

If my questions bother you, feel free to ignore them, but I won't be bullied into not asking questions because YOU don't think I should.

We Met in DC: 09 July 2008

Got Married in CT: 01 May 2009

Moved to Europe: 07 July 2009

DOMA Defeated: 26 June 2013

USCIS:

07/16/2013 - I-130 Sent via DHL

07/18/2013 - I-130 Received at Chicago Lockbox

07/20/2013 - NOA1

01/08/2014 - Transfer to CSC

02/11/2014 - NOA2: Approved!

NVC:

02/21/2014 - I-130 Received by NVC

03/28/2014 - AOS Invoice Paid

04/02/2014 - IV Invoice Paid

04/03/2014 - DS-260 Completed

04/10/2014 - AOS & IV Packages Received by NVC

04/30/2014 - Received I-864 Checklist

05/05/2014 - Revised I-864 Received by NVC

05/28/2014 - Case Complete!

Consular Processing:

xx/xx/2014 - Medical Exam

xx/xx/2014 - Visa Interview

xx/xx/2014 - Entry into U.S.

Timeline

So, you'll cut off your own foot and not study the instructions because you don't like the way you were advised to do so. I repeat. Time to grow up and do some homework. There's nothing wrong with "asking questions". That's what we're here for. However, this is a do it yourself site, not a spoon feed those to lazy to read instructions site.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Schedules are additional forms you file with the IRS. For example you fill out a schedule C for profit/loss.

Thanks for the clairification. My dad sent his tax forms and his schedules but not his w2s. Would that be sufficent? I am a little shy asking him for anything else and I would like to get the ball moving for my wife.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the clairification. My dad sent his tax forms and his schedules but not his w2s. Would that be sufficent? I am a little shy asking him for anything else and I would like to get the ball moving for my wife.

That should be ok. Tax transcripts are usually best

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

They will need the w2 as well, it's part of the tax return. It's either the entire tax return or the tax transcript.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

That should be ok. Tax transcripts are usually best

Not in a situation where there are joint tax returns and only one affidavit using one spuose's income. NO, NO!

They will need the w2 as well, it's part of the tax return. It's either the entire tax return or the tax transcript.

Yes, to the W2 forms but no to tax transcripts in this circumstance.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Not in a situation where there are joint tax returns and only one affidavit using one spuose's income. NO, NO!

Yes, to the W2 forms but no to tax transcripts in this circumstance.

Ah yes, I see now! Will note for future reference. :D

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

the instruction package from the Bangkok Embassy states:

 EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT: Your Petitioner should present evidence that neither
you nor your children (if applicable) will become a public charge in the United States. A Form
I-864 (Affidavit of Support) signed by Petitioner for each traveling applicant can be submitted
with a copy of Petitioner’s proof of US citizen or legal permanent resident status in the US, an
employment letter and a copy of Petitioner’s tax return (Form 1040) for the most recent tax
year. Sponsors’ income must meet the poverty guidelines at the time of Affidavit of Support
filing.

Can the employment letter be used interchangable with the w2? I've downloaded the package as an attachement to this post

112012_iv_instruction_packet_3.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.