ThailandExpat

How to compute income for I-864

57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have lived in Thailand for ten years earning wages as an English teacher. My father has agreed to be the joint sponsor for my Thai wife and has provided me with his tax documents. I know that I have to fill an I-864 form out as well but I am uncertain as to what to fill in for my wages. I have no real assets in America to count upon nor any job lined up once I make the transition. What number figure do I put in my I-864? Do I count my income or my wife's income in Thailand? I have reported my income to the IRS for the entire time while in Thailand even though my earning have been relatively small. Also I am curious as to the difference between the I-864 and the I-864A documents.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have lived in Thailand for ten years earning wages as an English teacher. My father has agreed to be the joint sponsor for my Thai wife and has provided me with his tax documents. I know that I have to fill an I-864 form out as well but I am uncertain as to what to fill in for my wages. I have no real assets in America to count upon nor any job lined up once I make the transition. What number figure do I put in my I-864? Do I count my income or my wife's income in Thailand? I have reported my income to the IRS for the entire time while in Thailand even though my earning have been relatively small. Also I am curious as to the difference between the I-864 and the I-864A documents.

You'll list your income on the I-864 as whatever income you reported to the IRS. I'm not sure about the differences between an I-864 and I-864A. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to answer that.

Just curious, what's the going monthly rate for teaching English in Thailand these days?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The I-864a is for combining income. The OP has no income to combine, so the qualified joint sponsor provides an I-864. The petitioner can simply indicate they have zero income currently, since their income will not continue from the same source once they come to the USA. In the past income section, indicate either the adjusted gross income from past 1040EZ forms or line 22 "total income" from past 1040 forms.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

You'll list your income on the I-864 as whatever income you reported to the IRS. I'm not sure about the differences between an I-864 and I-864A. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to answer that.

Just curious, what's the going monthly rate for teaching English in Thailand these days?

It various greatly depending upon the region that you are in and what type of school you are teaching at. The run of the mill government school will usually net you around 30-35k baht (roughly 1000-1200 usd) a month though I fear that magical number is rapidly declining with more agencies opening their doors and a greater influx of farangs migrating to Thailand to escape the economical calamity that has been plaguing western countries the past few years. Private schools usually start around the 30k benchmark with many going as high as 50-80k. Top tier international schools can potentially offer 100-150k but these are incredibly difficult to obtain. The stupid regulations set forth by the detestable and incompetent MOE has been driving many of the good teachers from Thailand the past couple of years.

Timeline

It various greatly depending upon the region that you are in and what type of school you are teaching at. The run of the mill government school will usually net you around 30-35k baht (roughly 1000-1200 usd) a month though I fear that magical number is rapidly declining with more agencies opening their doors and a greater influx of farangs migrating to Thailand to escape the economical calamity that has been plaguing western countries the past few years. Private schools usually start around the 30k benchmark with many going as high as 50-80k. Top tier international schools can potentially offer 100-150k but these are incredibly difficult to obtain. The stupid regulations set forth by the detestable and incompetent MOE has been driving many of the good teachers from Thailand the past couple of years.

Good to know. I plan on going back in a few years, but I wont be living in Bangkok this time. I'll be up in Isaan somewhere. 30k THB would be fine living up there combined with my savings.

Timeline

The I-864a is for combining income. The OP has no income to combine, so the qualified joint sponsor provides an I-864. The petitioner can simply indicate they have zero income currently, since their income will not continue from the same source once they come to the USA. In the past income section, indicate either the adjusted gross income from past 1040EZ forms or line 22 "total income" from past 1040 forms.

My father listed his wife income on the I-864 that he sent me though his income is more than sufficent to sponsor. Should my step mother fill out the I-864A form if her name is listed on the I-864 form that my father sent?

None of the ten years that I have been in Thailand have I been required to fill out an 1040 EZ due to my relative low income. I have filled out for 9 years though this current year I did not file. Would I give a rough approximation as to what I earned last year on the I-864 form and use line 22 on the 1040 for the prior years?

Timeline

My father listed his wife income on the I-864 that he sent me though his income is more than sufficent to sponsor. Should my step mother fill out the I-864A form if her name is listed on the I-864 form that my father sent?

None of the ten years that I have been in Thailand have I been required to fill out an 1040 EZ due to my relative low income. I have filled out for 9 years though this current year I did not file. Would I give a rough approximation as to what I earned last year on the I-864 form and use line 22 on the 1040 for the prior years?

Yes, your stepmother should complete an I-864a.

Your current income for the I-864 is zero because it won't continue in the USA. In the past income tax section of the affidavit list the income I indicated from past tax returns. If your income was below the filing threshold, simply hand write in that section. "N/A Income below filing threshold."

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Another quick question: should I use the old I-864 form or the new one?

Use whichever is the latest from the USCIS website. It will say on the website which versions are valid I think.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b70f8875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

From the website:

Edition Date : 03/22/13. No previous editions accepted.

The petitioner can simply indicate they have zero income currently, since their income will not continue from the same source once they come to the USA.

Does the question ask specifically for "current U.S. income?" If it just says "current income," wouldn't it be a lie to indicate zero earnings if the petitioner has earnings at the time s/he is filling out the form? Perhaps the immigration officials would ignore the figures because they are not U.S. sourced income, but at least the question would be answered honestly.

The worst thing to do is lie on one of these forms, so we need to be careful.

We Met in DC: 09 July 2008

Got Married in CT: 01 May 2009

Moved to Europe: 07 July 2009

DOMA Defeated: 26 June 2013

USCIS:

07/16/2013 - I-130 Sent via DHL

07/18/2013 - I-130 Received at Chicago Lockbox

07/20/2013 - NOA1

01/08/2014 - Transfer to CSC

02/11/2014 - NOA2: Approved!

NVC:

02/21/2014 - I-130 Received by NVC

03/28/2014 - AOS Invoice Paid

04/02/2014 - IV Invoice Paid

04/03/2014 - DS-260 Completed

04/10/2014 - AOS & IV Packages Received by NVC

04/30/2014 - Received I-864 Checklist

05/05/2014 - Revised I-864 Received by NVC

05/28/2014 - Case Complete!

Consular Processing:

xx/xx/2014 - Medical Exam

xx/xx/2014 - Visa Interview

xx/xx/2014 - Entry into U.S.

Timeline

Yes, your stepmother should complete an I-864a.

Your current income for the I-864 is zero because it won't continue in the USA. In the past income tax section of the affidavit list the income I indicated from past tax returns. If your income was below the filing threshold, simply hand write in that section. "N/A Income below filing threshold."

Does my dad have to list her income at all and forgo the I-864a altogether? His income was in excess of 100k which is by far more than sufficent to sponsor someone.

I believe that that every year that I have been in Thailand I have been below the threshold. Would I write "NA: incole below filing theshold" for ever year and add a copy of the 1040ez as addtional proof?

Timeline

Use whichever is the latest from the USCIS website. It will say on the website which versions are valid I think.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b70f8875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

From the website:

Edition Date : 03/22/13. No previous editions accepted.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433369-alert-do-not-send-new-i864-aos/

Timeline

Wow! That's F*ed up. Another example of DHS and DoS not knowing what the other is doing. Seems like NVC should have their own form for this instead of using one from USCIS.

Timeline

well I think I screwed up by posting in this section of the forums. I am going to file DCF with BKK. Don't know if that makes a difference with the questions that I asked. Anyhow, I am completely dead. It's 1:42 am my time. Thanks Karee and push for the help that has been given. *YAWN*

Timeline

Does the question ask specifically for "current U.S. income?" If it just says "current income," wouldn't it be a lie to indicate zero earnings if the petitioner has earnings at the time s/he is filling out the form? Perhaps the immigration officials would ignore the figures because they are not U.S. sourced income, but at least the question would be answered honestly.

The worst thing to do is lie on one of these forms, so we need to be careful.

Time for you to study the I-864 instructions. I have. You clearly haven't.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.