mawilson

Wives and whores are economic goods

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The Economics Of Prostitution

Michael Noer, 02.14.06, 12:00 PM ET

Wife or #######?

The choice is that simple. At least according to economists Lena Edlund and Evelyn

Korn, it is.

The two well-respected economists created a minor stir in academic circles a few

years back when they published "A Theory of Prostitution" in the Journal of Political

Economy. The paper was remarkable not only for being accepted by a major journal

but also because it considered wives and whores as economic "goods" that can be

substituted for each other. Men buy, women sell.

Economists have been equating money and marriage ever since Nobel Prize-winning

economist Gary Becker published his seminal paper "A Theory of Marriage" in two

parts in 1973 and 1974--also, not coincidentally, in the Journal of Political Economy.

Becker used market analysis to tackle the questions of whom, when and why we marry.

His conclusions? Mate selection is a market, and marriages occur only if they are

profitable for both parties involved.

Becker allowed nonmonetary elements, like romantic love and companionship, to be

entered into courtship's profit and loss statement. And children, in particular, were

important. "Sexual gratification, cleaning, feeding and other services can be purchased,

but not children: Both the man and the woman are required to produce their own children

and perhaps to raise them," he wrote.

But back to whores: Edlund and Korn admit that spouses and streetwalkers aren't

exactly alike. Wives, in truth, are superior to whores in the economist's sense of being

a good whose consumption increases as income rises -- like fine wine. This may explain

why prostitution is less common in wealthier countries. But the implication remains that

wives and whores are -- if not exactly like Coke and Pepsi -- something akin to champagne

and beer. The same sort of thing.

As with Becker, a key differentiator in Edlund and Korn's model is reproductive sex.

Wives can offer it, whores can not.

To be fair, Edlund and Korn were merely building an admittedly grossly simplified model of

human behavior in an attempt to answer a nagging question: Why do hookers make so much

money? Prostitution is, seemingly, a low-skill but high-pay profession with few upfront costs,

micro-miniskirts and stiletto heels aside.

Yet according to data assembled from a wide variety of times and places, ranging from

mid-15th-century France to Malaysia of the late 1990s, prostitutes make more money -- in some

cases, a lot more money -- than do working girls who, well, work for a living. This held true

even for places where prostitution is legal and relatively safe. In short, streetwalkers aren't

necessarily being paid more for their increased risk of going to jail or the hospital.

Notwithstanding Jerry Hall's quip when she was married to Mick Jagger, about being "a maid

in the living room and a ####### in the bedroom," one normally cannot be both a wife and a

#######. "Combine this with the fact that marriage can be an important source of income for

women, and it follows that prostitution must pay better than other jobs to compensate for the

opportunity cost of forgone-marriage market earnings," Edlund and Korn conclude.

Ouch.

Another zinger: "This begs the question of why married men go to prostitutes (rather than

buying from their wives, who presumably will be low-cost providers, considering that they can

sell nonreproductive sex without compromising their marriage)." Guys, nothing says "Happy

Valentine's Day" more than "low-cost provider."

Of course, it's easy to pour cold water on some of the assumptions made in Edlund and Korn's

mathematical model. But these so-called "stylized facts" are supposed to predict human

behavior; they don't necessarily pretend to mirror it.

In particular, the assumption that there is no "third way" between wife and ####### is

problematic, if not outright offensive: "The third alternative, working in a regular job but not

marrying, can be ruled out, since we assume that the only downside of marriage for a woman

is the forgone opportunity for prostitution."

Be sure to let all your married friends know what they're missing.

Also, the emphasis on the utility of children is puzzling. In most Western democracies, fertility

rates have plummeted as wealth has increased. Empirically, men not only buy fewer whores

as they get richer, but they have fewer children.

Still, the economic analysis of marriage explains one age-old phenomenon: gold digging.

"In particular, does our analysis justify the popular belief that more beautiful, charming and

talented women tend to marry wealthier and more successful men?" wrote Becker.

His answer: "A positive sorting of nonmarket traits with nonhuman wealth always, and with

earnings power, usually, maximizes commodity output over all marriages."

In other words, yes, supermodels do prefer aging billionaires. And Gary Becker proved it

mathematically decades before The Donald married Melania.

Source

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Can I be my fiancee's #######? That would be sweet.....plus I'm fairly confident she would pay for my services. I could use a little extra money. We could even have performance reviews and exit surveys (wink, wink). I could form a company called Laid in the USA or Men at Work. Need a new name to protect my innocense though......how about Mercury Rising?

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Can I be my fiancee's #######? That would be sweet.....plus I'm fairly confident she would pay for my services. I could use a little extra money. We could even have performance reviews and exit surveys (wink, wink). I could form a company called Laid in the USA or Men at Work. Need a new name to protect my innocense though......how about Mercury Rising?

:lol:

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

:lol: now that was funny merc....

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Well, I think there is soemthing to link SOME wives to prostitutes....not all, mind you.

:yes: and men too male whores..not all men

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Timeline

Well, I think there is soemthing to link SOME wives to prostitutes....not all, mind you.

:yes: and men too male whores..not all men

Well yeah, I shoulda said that too....

I know this woman who will not be with a man unless he has $X ....all her boyfriends are filthy rich. Where is the line drawn between prostitution & just 'happen' to date rich guys?

A woman who only dates rich guys is a prostitute.

I've seen a lot of girls who will be with one guy who they really like, but then go out with another guy because he "takes care of" them. By take care of, what they really mean is; buy them ###### and pay their bills. Sex for money is prostitution. Even if you sugarcoat it as a relationship, it's still prostitution.

However, marriage as an institution is set up as a financial agreement. On a biological level, it makes no sense whatsoever for a man to get married, EVER!!! Men are supposed to be spreading their genes around and procreating as much as possible. Women are supposed to raise the healthiest offspring possible. In today's world, the most secure way to do that is to get married.

Prostitutes do get paid more money. What other job do you need no education or training and no experience? Plus, you get to set your own hours, take a day off here and there, relocate whenever/wherever you want, and there is a market for it everywhere. Sounds like a dream job. Wonder why more women don't do it.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline

I've seen a lot of girls who will be with one guy who they really like, but then go out with another guy because he "takes care of" them. By take care of, what they really mean is; buy them ###### and pay their bills. Sex for money is prostitution. Even if you sugarcoat it as a relationship, it's still prostitution.

However, marriage as an institution is set up as a financial agreement. On a biological level, it makes no sense whatsoever for a man to get married, EVER!!! Men are supposed to be spreading their genes around and procreating as much as possible. Women are supposed to raise the healthiest offspring possible. In today's world, the most secure way to do that is to get married.

Prostitutes do get paid more money. What other job do you need no education or training and no experience? Plus, you get to set your own hours, take a day off here and there, relocate whenever/wherever you want, and there is a market for it everywhere. Sounds like a dream job. Wonder why more women don't do it.

I agree with you...but what about the other side of the coin?

My first marriage was to a guy with not a lot of smarts (understatement here :P). Everything came hard for him workwise and we were always scraping by. He worked REALLY hard for everything he got, because there was no other choice. This time around, when I met D....I knew he was smart from the way he talked. Security is a big deal for me, and I didn't want to have to do that live from check to check ####### again. It was a side to D that I did find attractive. As we got serious, I like the fact that he had the capacity to make a solid living.

I think this could be grey area, cos I'm certainly not with him because he's 'rich' *he's not rich, btw*

Edited by LisaD

If you find a guy you like and he just so happens to be rich too.... well, good on ya!

But everyone has those girlfriends or maybe that one girl that they know that will meet an awesome guy and say "well, he's just too poor for me." That's a #######.

Choosing a rich guy over a poor guy, providing everything else is the same, doesn't make you a prostitute, it makes you smart.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 2 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

an interesting topic.

Si me dieran a elegir una vez más_____ Nos casamos: el 01 de Julio 2008

te elegiría sin pensarlo _______________ Una cita con una abogada para validar la info de VJ: el 24 de Agosto, 2008 (Ya ella me cree)

es que no hay nada que pensar_______ El envio del I-130: el 26 de Agosto 2008

que no existe ni motivo ni razón ______ Entregado a las 14:13 PM en el 26 de Agosto, 2008 en CHICAGO, IL. Firmado por V BUSTAMANTE.

para dudarlo ni un segundo ___________ La 1ra Notificación de Acción (NOA1): el 29 de Agosto 2008

porque tú has sido lo mejor ___________ El cheque al USCIS cobró: el 2 de Septiembre, 2008

que todo este corazón ________________ Un toque el 19 de septiembre, 2008

y que entre el cielo y tú

yo me quedo contigo

-Franco deVita

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
an interesting topic.

oh yeah. i gotta read this one. :pop:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I'd say that's a bit simplistic, and, of course, "rich" is relative. How about a woman who only dates guys who earn slightly more than she does? Or someone who actually earns less but who is a spendthrift and likes to lavish her with gifts? (designer fondue pots, for example?)

What about a woman who will only date guys who work in the non-dairy whipped topping industry? Or who are in a band?

Many questions for the modern age...

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
The Economics Of Prostitution

Michael Noer, 02.14.06, 12:00 PM ET

Wife or #######?

The choice is that simple. At least according to economists Lena Edlund and Evelyn

Korn, it is.

The two well-respected economists created a minor stir in academic circles a few

years back when they published "A Theory of Prostitution" in the Journal of Political

Economy. The paper was remarkable not only for being accepted by a major journal

but also because it considered wives and whores as economic "goods" that can be

substituted for each other. Men buy, women sell.

Economists have been equating money and marriage ever since Nobel Prize-winning

economist Gary Becker published his seminal paper "A Theory of Marriage" in two

parts in 1973 and 1974--also, not coincidentally, in the Journal of Political Economy.

Becker used market analysis to tackle the questions of whom, when and why we marry.

His conclusions? Mate selection is a market, and marriages occur only if they are

profitable for both parties involved.

Becker allowed nonmonetary elements, like romantic love and companionship, to be

entered into courtship's profit and loss statement. And children, in particular, were

important. "Sexual gratification, cleaning, feeding and other services can be purchased,

but not children: Both the man and the woman are required to produce their own children

and perhaps to raise them," he wrote.

But back to whores: Edlund and Korn admit that spouses and streetwalkers aren't

exactly alike. Wives, in truth, are superior to whores in the economist's sense of being

a good whose consumption increases as income rises -- like fine wine. This may explain

why prostitution is less common in wealthier countries. But the implication remains that

wives and whores are -- if not exactly like Coke and Pepsi -- something akin to champagne

and beer. The same sort of thing.

As with Becker, a key differentiator in Edlund and Korn's model is reproductive sex.

Wives can offer it, whores can not.

To be fair, Edlund and Korn were merely building an admittedly grossly simplified model of

human behavior in an attempt to answer a nagging question: Why do hookers make so much

money? Prostitution is, seemingly, a low-skill but high-pay profession with few upfront costs,

micro-miniskirts and stiletto heels aside.

Yet according to data assembled from a wide variety of times and places, ranging from

mid-15th-century France to Malaysia of the late 1990s, prostitutes make more money -- in some

cases, a lot more money -- than do working girls who, well, work for a living. This held true

even for places where prostitution is legal and relatively safe. In short, streetwalkers aren't

necessarily being paid more for their increased risk of going to jail or the hospital.

Notwithstanding Jerry Hall's quip when she was married to Mick Jagger, about being "a maid

in the living room and a ####### in the bedroom," one normally cannot be both a wife and a

#######. "Combine this with the fact that marriage can be an important source of income for

women, and it follows that prostitution must pay better than other jobs to compensate for the

opportunity cost of forgone-marriage market earnings," Edlund and Korn conclude.

Ouch.

Another zinger: "This begs the question of why married men go to prostitutes (rather than

buying from their wives, who presumably will be low-cost providers, considering that they can

sell nonreproductive sex without compromising their marriage)." Guys, nothing says "Happy

Valentine's Day" more than "low-cost provider."

Of course, it's easy to pour cold water on some of the assumptions made in Edlund and Korn's

mathematical model. But these so-called "stylized facts" are supposed to predict human

behavior; they don't necessarily pretend to mirror it.

In particular, the assumption that there is no "third way" between wife and ####### is

problematic, if not outright offensive: "The third alternative, working in a regular job but not

marrying, can be ruled out, since we assume that the only downside of marriage for a woman

is the forgone opportunity for prostitution."

Be sure to let all your married friends know what they're missing.

Also, the emphasis on the utility of children is puzzling. In most Western democracies, fertility

rates have plummeted as wealth has increased. Empirically, men not only buy fewer whores

as they get richer, but they have fewer children.

Still, the economic analysis of marriage explains one age-old phenomenon: gold digging.

"In particular, does our analysis justify the popular belief that more beautiful, charming and

talented women tend to marry wealthier and more successful men?" wrote Becker.

His answer: "A positive sorting of nonmarket traits with nonhuman wealth always, and with

earnings power, usually, maximizes commodity output over all marriages."

In other words, yes, supermodels do prefer aging billionaires. And Gary Becker proved it

mathematically decades before The Donald married Melania.

Source

:rofl:

You can't turn a hoe into a housewife.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE