ucmc2013

Best options to bring my wife

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi there,

I do have a permanent resident card valid for 10 years. I would like to sponsor my wife to come live with me (right now she is in Morocco). What are my best options:

1. Sponsor her for a green card now, and wait in lines till a visa is available for her, then upgrade my status once I get citizenship (I will apply for N-400 in March, 2014) to expedite the process?

2. Wait till I get my citizenship (sometime between March, 2014 and...whenever) then apply for her for a green card (or perhaps a fiance visa or wife visa)? just want to know which way is best, relatively faster (for her to join me) and less complicated ( I know everything could be complicated in one way or another) .

Thanks for insightful advices.

JR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to Bringing Family of LPRs as OP is not a citizen (yet) ****

The process is the same whether you are a citizen or a greencard holder, but greencard holders have to wait longer. You do not apply for a greencard for her- you petition her, then she applies for a visa, and will get a greencard once she arrives. Best to petition her now, it'll shave off some waiting time, and you can upgrade when you become a citizen.

You cannot get a fiance visa as you are married.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

*** Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to Bringing Family of LPRs as OP is not a citizen (yet) ****

The process is the same whether you are a citizen or a greencard holder, but greencard holders have to wait longer. You do not apply for a greencard for her- you petition her, then she applies for a visa, and will get a greencard once she arrives. Best to petition her now, it'll shave off some waiting time, and you can upgrade when you become a citizen.

So what form should I send in the application, I am kinda confused??

Timeline

Why it is best to petition her now, if it already takes at least 6 months (once I upgrade my status to citizen) for her to get approved?

Timeline

Is it the only form I should send, or there is something else?

Could anyone please tell me the steps, like what after filing the I-130?

I-130 form

Timeline

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thank you a lot, but does that also apply to permanent residents in the US (cause all what I see in reference in that link is US citizens) who wish to petition an alien relative outside the US for a green card?

Timeline

I refer you to my first post.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Ho

I refer you to my first post.

I see, thanks for clarification. One more question please; how to show bonafides of marriage like shared bank accounts, lease or ownership?? I mean I live in the U.S. and by law I can't have a joint account as she doesn't physically live here. Plus, I couldn't have a joint account in Morocco (where she lives) as (per their policy, I am not a Moroccan citizen, nor I didn't stay when I visited her more than 1 month at any time.). In addition, I can't have joint ownership here for the same reason mentioned above.

However, I visited here 3 times (1 for engagement, 1 for marriage, and my family from Egypt has joined the wedding ceremony, and recently in June) and I do have the boarding passes and visas with entry stamps that prove that. Plus, I have tons of pictures with her, and both families together, plus the video for the ceremony, that I can provide as supportive documents.

Do you think it is enough?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Ho

I see, thanks for clarification. One more question please; how to show bonafides of marriage like shared bank accounts, lease or ownership?? I mean I live in the U.S. and by law I can't have a joint account as she doesn't physically live here. Plus, I couldn't have a joint account in Morocco (where she lives) as (per their policy, I am not a Moroccan citizen, nor I didn't stay when I visited her more than 1 month at any time.). In addition, I can't have joint ownership here for the same reason mentioned above.

However, I visited here 3 times (1 for engagement, 1 for marriage, and my family from Egypt has joined the wedding ceremony, and recently in June) and I do have the boarding passes and visas with entry stamps that prove that. Plus, I have tons of pictures with her, and both families together, plus the video for the ceremony, that I can provide as supportive documents.

I recommend you spend some time using the search feature

bonafide is a good place to start

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ho

Showing bonafides like communications. letters, IM's, emails, chats, skypes. Pictures of visits with friends and family, stamps in passports of visits. Wedding ring receipts.

Also go to your countries forum and ask of your country people what they presented some embassy like your are not easy and there may be specific things to help. Also read your countries interview reviews to get a feel and see how people did.

Also you filing now saves you time. After my friends wife upgraded to citizen it took NVC 1 month to complete and they are awaiting interview next month. So why not get things done and through. Maybe by the time you get citizenship you may be done at USCIS and NVC and just waiting.

Read the guides and come back here for any followup questions.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I too was a LPR for 3 yrs at the time that I initially filed for my wife; the advice above is correct - file your I-130 now, it will save you time later when you finally get your naturalization as I did - my NOA2 was already in place and as soon as I got my naturalization, the NVC kicked in and the interview was scheduled within 2 months.

Your proof of bonafide relationship seems OK - photos of your marriage should be sent with your I-130, along with the requisite requirements, i.e. marriage cert, passport copies from both of you...any previous marriages you had, should have the divorce paperwork copied and sent too.

Keep boarding passes and take pics each time you visit - print a sample of those each time and file them in a photo album, showing you together and with each others' family.

Any other trips you take together, collect those receipts... honeymoon receipts etc.

Keep all these in a separate file that your wife can take with the photo album to the interview.

As for bank accounts etc. - can you add her to your health insurance if you have it? I did...

Can you add her as a beneficiary to any life insurances? Any tax returns you will file as married.... Also I added my wife as a beneficiary to the bank accounts - youre correct they wont allow you to show her as joint account holder, but you can add her as a beneficiary without the SSN.

NOA1 August 3 2011
NOA2 April 14 2012
NVC receipt May 17 2012

Case upgrade request sent via email April 3 2013

Case upgraded by NVC from F2A to CR1 April 19 2013

Interview June 6th 2013 - APPROVED - case upgraded to IR1 at time of interview based on time married

Visa in hand June 10th 2013

IV fee paid using ELIS June 17th 2013

POE Houston July 15th 2013

GC arrived in mail Aug 12th 2013

SSN card arrived in mail Aug 19 2013 (1 week after applying)

Timeline

I too was a LPR for 3 yrs at the time that I initially filed for my wife; the advice above is correct - file your I-130 now, it will save you time later when you finally get your naturalization as I did - my NOA2 was already in place and as soon as I got my naturalization, the NVC kicked in and the interview was scheduled within 2 months.

Your proof of bonafide relationship seems OK - photos of your marriage should be sent with your I-130, along with the requisite requirements, i.e. marriage cert, passport copies from both of you...any previous marriages you had, should have the divorce paperwork copied and sent too.

Keep boarding passes and take pics each time you visit - print a sample of those each time and file them in a photo album, showing you together and with each others' family.

Any other trips you take together, collect those receipts... honeymoon receipts etc.

Keep all these in a separate file that your wife can take with the photo album to the interview.

As for bank accounts etc. - can you add her to your health insurance if you have it? I did...

Can you add her as a beneficiary to any life insurances? Any tax returns you will file as married.... Also I added my wife as a beneficiary to the bank accounts - youre correct they wont allow you to show her as joint account holder, but you can add her as a beneficiary without the SSN.

How could you add her to health insurance without SSN, or beneficiary to a bank account? I mean what should I ask the banker? BTW, she is living out of the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.