LoveInLouisiana

Help on understanding and choosing my best option.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I understand this has probably been asked a million times, but I am desperate to find my best option.

I'm a 25 year old female who lives and is a permanent resident of Canada. I met my partner online a year ago, he is 31 and a retired paramedic in the middle of a career switch , and is a US citizen. Ive been to visit him twice in the past year, for a total of 6 weeks. We are wanting to move me there as soon as possible, but do not want to go about it illigally, of course. Ive searched so many options, and I just cant figure out what to do.

What I would absolutly love, would be to go there, marry, and do paperwork from Louisiana. But from my understanding this probably wouldnt go over well. Could someone specify? could it be done?

I understand I could go the k1 route or the CR1, but they take longer than we wanted to wait. Is there any way around having to be stuck in canada? If there is any possible way to do the proper applications from the US, i would very much love to hear of them. Im desperate to finally be beside him for good.

thank you for your help.

June 10, 2012 - met the love of my life online.

August 21, 2012 - met for the first time, in person. (L)

December 26, 2012 - Second visit to Louisiana. (L)

November 4, 2013- 3rd visit to Louisiana (L)

No there is no other legal option. You either need a K1 visa or a CR1 visa. Either to wait, get the Fiancée visa, then go down and marry, apply for AOS and stay together after marriage. OR Marry, chase the CR1 visa, immigrate to the USA and get a green card asap.

The other option is for HIM to move up to Canada because he is in the middle of a career switch. A Canadian permanent resident can sponsor a spouse or common-law partner.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Exactly!

Coming down and marrying with the intent to stay would not go over well as it is illegal. Of course the legal ways by the fiance or CR1 route take longer then you would care... it does for everyone separated from their loved ones!
Just be thankful Canada and the US are close and easy to visit each other. It isn't that way for most.

So as NikiR said, either wait out the legal process, or have him move up there if you cannot wait.

Best of luck either way!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with the previous posters, and if you are looking to limit the time apart (something we all do) then the K1 will be for you. It's generally approved faster then the CR1s, but the CR1s are cheaper in the long run. http://budalawgroup.net/advantages-of-the-k1-fiance-visa-and-the-cr1-marriage-visa/

As stated before him moving to Canada could be an option since he is in the middle of a career change, which is prefect time to go to the great white north. That's if he wants to. As for how to do it or information you can check that all out here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

and you can see processing times here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

If I am reading it correct, someone living in Canada sponsoring a spouse will take roughly 14 months. Again if you are limiting time apart it still looks like K1 visa here in the USA. Though it's nice that Canada isn't very far nor complicated to visit even when so far south :)

God Speed to you both.

“Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water -it will make ripples throughout the entire pond...”

― Jessy and Bryan Matteo

If you sponsor someone who is already living in Canada, the bonus is after the initial assessment they're sent a work visa while the rest of the application is done. So after 6 months, the spouse would be able to work. Also you can sponsor a common-law partner vs only a spouse because the laws governing common-law are better in Canada. After you are common-law with someone it literally is the same as being married. If you separate, each party is entitled to half. In Canada, it really is "just a piece of paper" LOL

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

If you sponsor someone who is already living in Canada, the bonus is after the initial assessment they're sent a work visa while the rest of the application is done. So after 6 months, the spouse would be able to work. Also you can sponsor a common-law partner vs only a spouse because the laws governing common-law are better in Canada. After you are common-law with someone it literally is the same as being married. If you separate, each party is entitled to half. In Canada, it really is "just a piece of paper" LOL

Actually after doing some research I found out this varies by province!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/03/19/common-law-myths-and-facts.html

It would be good to make sure of what you need to know as per your own province if you decide to not be married, but if marriage is the end goal, don't worry about common-law at all.

If you have the means/freedom, you can visit the US while waiting for the (K1) visa.There are risks as to whether or not they would let you in at the border, but if you bring ties to Canada you will probably allowed in. You can stay for up to 6 months in a 12-month period. You'll have to go back to Canada for medical and interview, however, at the end of the visa process.

Edited by ricnally

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion -- OP is weighing visa paths. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.