Michael85.asl

HELP! I just found I am in need of a Visa and we are stuck!

37 posts in this topic

If your wife can get transferred to another EU/EEA country you could potentially get an EEA family permit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area_Family_Permit

I don't know what effect this would have on consular filing and as others have said above you could run into issues with the Affidavit of Support and maybe domicile intent if you are not in the USA.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Well said Billious. People are too harsh in these forums. Kudos to those who have the answers but if you can't share them without being judgy, than don't.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey everyone thanks for all your support and ideas and suggestions.

Here is the latest update as to what to do:

The French administration is the more difficult side, but if i wait to come back to the US 2 weeks after we are married it IS possible to get the long-stay visa very quickly for France but I have no choice but to do so in Chicago (1-3 weeks processing time). We will call the French Embassy within a few hours and I can post official results asap.

Our plan: Get married in France June 7 (all the paperwork, translations, meeting with the mayor is all finished and good to go). 2 weeks later I fly alone to the US and go to the French Embassy to apply for the long-stay visa. In the meantime I go stay with friends and work for 1-3 weeks while I wait. Then I come back to France and turn in our i-130 packet and we wait together.

That so far seems to be the simpliest solution, I can work as soon as I arrive (In Michigan) so it will cover cost of the ticket and since I will have a long stay visa and married to a French citizen I will be able to work (In France) so it can help for getting us back to the US.

and Yes my boss knows how long the wait it, it is a very small company with only 3 employees and he is a close friend who is married to a Swedish woman so he knows the mess involved and is helping any way he can to get us back. So yes my job is available anytime.

I didn't intend to sound rude or to be special compared to anyone on this site who is waiting for their significant other who is far away, my sincere apologies.

Edited by Michael85.asl

Living in France since 04/04/2013

Married: 06/07/2013

USCIS:

Filed I-130: 08/02/2013 (filed from France)

NOA1: Date accepted: 08/06/2013

NOA2: Date recieved email 11/04/2013

NVC:

Received our file: 11/08/2013

File # and IIN 11/19/2013

expedite granted 11/21/2013

mailed to Embassy 11/21/2013

Embassy:

Received files 11/25/2013 (DHL)

CEAC "ready" 12/04/2013

Received packet from Embassy 12/10/2013

Submitted DS-2001 "ready for interview" 12/10/2013

Interview 12/19/2013 -Approved-

POE 02/02/2014

Filed: Timeline

Dude Y cant U step out of France back to the USA to your job

for 6 mths, save visit her then spend some time & keep doing

this during the process instead of taking from her family & just being

there, everyone misses their spouse during separation & at least

your case seem straight forward....being broke living there & being

taken care of will cause LOVE to jump thru the window....do your

part and return to the job so you'll be financially independent. Good

luck on your journey. ...France is very serious about their immigration laws

Timeline

I guess I find this to be insensitive. We all miss our significant others, and I don't think there's a single one of us who wouldn't snap our fingers in a second to bring them over if we could. I didn't get that the O.P. thought he was deserving of different, more prioritized service than anyone else. He's clearly someone who doesn't fully understand the system yet, and is here to get education and answers from a supportive community. Let's try to be that community.

I second that! I will be praying for the OP we are in a similar situation financially

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

Passport for USC 6/10 thru 28/2013 19 days

First face to face meeting Nov. 4th 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Married 19 November 2013 heart.gif

:energy: USCIS-TSC

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

24/7/2014 NOA-2 {135 days} :dancing:

12/8/2014 Case Shipped {NVC} :dancing:

:energy: NVC

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

31/8/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/9/2014 NVC billed AOS & paid

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

21/10/2014 IV package sent

21/11/2014 Case complete :dance:(L)

03/12/2014 Interview scheduled

08/12/2014 NVC shipped to Embassy "In Transit"

12/12/2014 Ceac shows "Ready"

:energy:Consulate

15/12/2014 Consulate received

07-08/01/2015 Medical {Passed!!!!}

26/01/2015 Interview results {APPROVED} :dance:(L)

26/01/2015 DHL Air Waybill created online

28/01/2015 Air Waybill shows "In Transit" :yes:

29/01/2015 Visa ready for pick up {DHL}

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

Thought to share our journey for those who need the encouragement!

Why is everyone telling the OP to come back to the US and wait?

He has a joint sponsor.

He has a boss that is going to hold his job for him while he's gone.

He has a wife that will work while they wait together so they don't have to be apart like most of us on the forums.

If everyone that posted their opinion, of which he did not ask, had the means to do it, they'd be waiting with their loved ones in their arms every night instead of thousands miles away while the US Govt takes it's sweet time in doing what it does.

He asked simply what he could do about the Visa issue.

He didn't ask whether anyone thought if it was a good idea, or if they thought he should come back to the US and wait.

I'm glad you found some information Michael about what to do. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you are able to stay with your soon to be wife for the duration of the process.

HELP! are there ANY options that I don't have to leave France and be apart for my new wife for the entire period waiting for her US visa to process???? Help please, any ideas, tips suggestions. She is literally sick how her and her family missed this giant piece of extremely important info.

Help.........thank you for reading this.

01/15/12 - Sent Aya a message on a dating site
03/10/12 - We became "exclusive"
03/15/12 - We told each other "I love you"
08/17/12 - 2 week trip to the Philippines to be with her
08/27/12 - I asked her to marry me (in Cebuano), she cried and said yes
09/02/12 - I came back to the USA

Started on the paperwork

09/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
09/25/12 - Saw on USPS that the package was delivered in Texas
09/28/12 - NOA1
10/08/12 - Received hard copy NOA1
12/19/12 - CFO Counseling Session (to get it out of the way)
04/27/13 - NOA2
05/06/13 - NVC Received and MNL # assigned
05/21/13 - Medical Exam Day
06/04/13 - Interview Day
xx/xx/xx - Visa Arrived
xx/xx/xx - Off to Chicago

I didn't intend to sound rude or to be special compared to anyone on this site who is waiting for their significant other who is far away, my sincere apologies.

You didn't. I didn't get that from you original post.

Best of luck with getting your French visa.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

I guess I find this to be insensitive. We all miss our significant others, and I don't think there's a single one of us who wouldn't snap our fingers in a second to bring them over if we could. I didn't get that the O.P. thought he was deserving of different, more prioritized service than anyone else. He's clearly someone who doesn't fully understand the system yet, and is here to get education and answers from a supportive community. Let's try to be that community.

You're right, reading that back now, it was pretty insensitive. I was having a bad afternoon and didn't mean for it come across so harshly. My apologies.

OP, best of luck in your journey.

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This is a common issue. Return home as married, return to work and apply for I130 Married for her, it will be about 8+ months and you will be done. She will arrive on a GC when you are approved. Good Luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Timeline

When you submit the I-130, don't you have to prove that you're domiciled in France, which is why you're applying to the US Embassy in France rather than applying within the US? We were living in Dublin for 2 years as a married couple and they still questioned our evidence as to why we were applying there. If you are only in France on a visitor visa and you have a job in the US, this could raise a red flag for your application further delaying things. If you're returning to the US to apply for the extended French visa, why don't you apply for your wife's green card at that time (while you're in the US), then you can just return to France on holidays?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Op... I recently had a friend go through the process in france... and Yes France is difficult since the changes in the laws in 2006 regarding the carte de sejour... But I think you are on the right track.

Once married, go back to the USA and apply for the long stay visa (you need that for any carte applications if that is what you are planning on getting unless the long term visa will cover it) I have heard that summer is 1-2 months wait from the French consulate and 2-3 weeks in winter... Then, with the long term visa in hand, you can stay in France. Be sure to follow all French guidelines (check on the health insurance requirement since one of my friends got held up on that). Triple check ALL the forms required!!

You can apply for the I-130 anytime after married. Seems you have the requirements for the USA visa enough under control, I am assuming that you are asking about the living in France while processing process? Best of luck

Edited by christeen

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

hey guys,

thanks for all your comments and help for ideas... i appritiate it. We have to wait until 9pm-11pm to call from France (Chicago only processes Visa related calls from 2-4pm local time)

you guys understand exactly..........get the french long-stay visa asap and get back to france while we wait for her US visa together. I will let you know what the embassy says. thanks

Living in France since 04/04/2013

Married: 06/07/2013

USCIS:

Filed I-130: 08/02/2013 (filed from France)

NOA1: Date accepted: 08/06/2013

NOA2: Date recieved email 11/04/2013

NVC:

Received our file: 11/08/2013

File # and IIN 11/19/2013

expedite granted 11/21/2013

mailed to Embassy 11/21/2013

Embassy:

Received files 11/25/2013 (DHL)

CEAC "ready" 12/04/2013

Received packet from Embassy 12/10/2013

Submitted DS-2001 "ready for interview" 12/10/2013

Interview 12/19/2013 -Approved-

POE 02/02/2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do not know about France, usually it is 6 months residency.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.