ukcharlotte

Driving Licence Hassle!

29 posts in this topic

It's not going to help the OP, but the DMV in CA wanted to see my french DL. I showed it to them (they wanted to see the expiration date, but there's not) and they gave it back to me.

In NY though, the DMV says you MUST surrender your foreign DL... Crazy.

"When you receive your NYS driver license, you must surrender your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office keeps your foreign driver license, and then destroys the license after 60 days. If you plan to return to your home country and use your foreign driver license, ask the road test examiner how to make sure that your foreign driver license is not destroyed. If you need to get your foreign driver license, go to the local DMV office where you applied for your NYS driver license.

"

(http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#driversfromothernations)

How do they know you have a foreign DL? My wife has never had a DL. So she had to go the permit to DL route--she still has the permit which is valid for three years. It's just like going to the SSA after getting married and not telling them you are married--how are they going to know? I am of the opinion that a state cannot take away a foreign DL, they can only take away another state's DL. But that's me. I would never mention I had a foreign DL and just get the learner's permit and then the state DL.

Dave

I also believe that they cannot take away a foreign DL, but showing the foreign DL puts you in the "has had a license before" category instead of the "never drove before ever" category. Being in the former category can help you to waive the probation or learner permit requirements. It wouldn't surprise me though of they do take away the license from time to time, even though I believe it is illegal.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

How do they know you have a foreign DL?

Well, they only know if you tell them you have one and show it, I guess.

I think it's pretty impressive how some states issue automatically a DL when you show them a foreign one, while some others want you to take written and driving/road tests, +hours of courses, and want to keep and destroy your foreign DL. It's like "Great that you have a foreign DL, but hey, give it to me *oops I burnt it*, take all the tests like a beginner now, thank you!".

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can always get another.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Illinois wanted to see my Canadian driver's license, and had me do a straightforward road test. They did not ask me to surrender my license and, if they had, I was prepared to tell them I required the license as my Canadian identification. Mind you, Canadians get special privilege.

You should not surrender your UK license. As noted, it's property of your government, a part of your UK identification. Allow them to take photocopies of it, as need be, but that's not theirs to destroy or retain.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

in the California DMV handbook it says you are supposed to hand over your foreign license. But they didn't take mine. They did take it and look at it but then handed it back to me. It has long since expired so it really is of no use to me anymore...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I applied for my license, they let me get the Washington State one right away, but hole-punched my Canadian driver's license. So, technically I still have it, but it's not valid.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I passed the written test and applied for the permit, but they didn't take my UK licence or even ask to see it. I spoke to the police officer who was sat in the corner of the room, and asked him about returning to a 'learner' status and he told me that that was now the case. He even explained that my UK licence wasn't valid to drive on beforehand because I didn't have the international driver's permit to go with it. So, according to the state of Colorado, I have been driving illegally for the last 7 months. I am now a 'legal learner' and have booked my test with a third party driving examiner (much quicker!) for this Saturday. After all this transition paperwork I feel as though having a licence will finally allow me to sit back and relax a bit - I should have all the documents that I need!

14/01/2012: Mailed off I-129F

20/01/2012: NOA1

19/06/2012: NOA2 (no RFEs)

26/07/2012: Medical

02/10/2012: Interview Date - approved!

25/10/2012: POE - Chicago O'Hare

24/01/2013: Applied for AOS/EAD/AP

19/03/2013: EAD/AP approved

21/03/2013: AOS interview scheduled for 24/04/2013

24/04/2013: Interview - Approved!

11/05/2013: Green Card received.

event.png

Timeline

So, according to the state of Colorado, I have been driving illegally for the last 7 months.

According to the Policeman sitting in the corner you mean.

I would need to check, they may have changed the wording since I did mine but you would have needed a US license from when you obtained EAD.

You do not need an IDP, it is a translation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are in Maryland but the police will issue a citation for driving without a licenses if you are a resident driving on a foreign drivers licenses. I think most people forget that a foreign drivers licenses with an international drivers licenses is for TOURISTS not people who live here. The OP is lucky if you are caught driving without a licenses here it can delay the issue of a new licenses for 1 year.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

We are in Maryland but the police will issue a citation for driving without a licenses if you are a resident driving on a foreign drivers licenses. I think most people forget that a foreign drivers licenses with an international drivers licenses is for TOURISTS not people who live here. The OP is lucky if you are caught driving without a licenses here it can delay the issue of a new licenses for 1 year.

Right. I don't know if it applies to everybody and in every states, but I read on the French Consulate in LA's website that International DL are valid for 1 year for tourists (or people here temporarily), but only 3 months if you are a resident.

Plus in CA, any resident who wants to drive has to apply for a CA DL within 10 days.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Right. I don't know if it applies to everybody and in every states, but I read on the French Consulate in LA's website that International DL are valid for 1 year for tourists (or people here temporarily), but only 3 months if you are a resident.

Plus in CA, any resident who wants to drive has to apply for a CA DL within 10 days.

The answer lies in each states laws. In Maryland the law states that non-resident foreign nationals can drive with the DL of their home country as long as it is the same classification(for example if you can only drive a car there then only a car here not bus or big truck). The key is the wording. By federal definition a K1 does not become a resident until AOS is approved but my states definition of residency is different and moving here with the intent of living here starts the clock. Under the state definition my wife could only drive for 60 days on her foreign DL maybe. The law states that "new residents" can drive for 60 days if they have a vaild DL from their old STATE. It makes no mention of foreign DL so who knows. I think people forget that in most states driving without a licenses is a criminal, Jailable offense and if you are convicted of that crime it could get you deported or at least complicate your adjustment of status or ROC. It was very inconvenient for my wife to take the bus and walk or wait for me to drive her but it is the law.

Timeline

Exactly, you need to check your own State's requirements. Very unusual for their definition of resident ot match a federal one.

As far as the penalties are concerned it seems no biggie. Well not compared to the UK, usually just a fine. I get the impression that most Police Officers are not that interested if you have a valid non US license.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

State of Indiana http://www.in.gov/bmv/2363.htm#Out_Of_Country_License

The United States signed an agreement with many other countries to honor a foreign driver license for visitors to the United States for at least one year from the date of arrival. This privilege is made possible as a result of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva, 1949), and the Convention on the Regulation of American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943), both of which have been ratified by the United States.

An out-of-country driver's license cannot be used for identification purposes. You do not have to surrender an out-of-country license if you are issued an Indiana driver's license, permit, or identification card.

If you have an out-of-country driver's license and intend to become a resident of Indiana or meet Indiana residency requirements, you must pass the vision screening test, written knowledge test, and driving skills test to obtain an Indiana driver's license.

All documents proving your identity, Social Security number, lawful status, and Indiana residency will be verified through a central verification process. The BMV will issue an interim license, valid for 30 days, authorizing the holder to drive pending authentication of documents submitted to BMV.

When your documents are verified, the BMV will mail the license, permit, or identification card to you. If the documents cannot be verified, you will receive a letter explaining the determination and your rights to request an administrative hearing to review the determination. No refunds will be issued in the case of documents that cannot be verified.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.