FrankGloria

getting a driver's license in pennsylvania

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everyone. I've looked over the PA-DMV website and I'm a little confused. My wife entered the US as a K-1 fiancé. We were married a few weeks ago. She has a valid Italian driver's license and an International Driving Permit. My questions are: Does she need to apply for a permit and take a written and driving test? Or can she apply for a license (no tests) based on the fact that she is currently a licensed driver? Does she need to apply using the DL180 (permit with a medical exam) form or the DL180R (license and no medical exam) form? Thanks in advance!

June 1, 2012 - I-129F package sent
June 8, 2012 - NOA1 email received
June 14, 2012 - NOA1 hard-copy received
Nov 26, 2012 - NOA2 email received
Nov 29, 2012 - NOA2 hard-copy received
Dec 3, 2012 - NVC case # received
Dec 12, 2012 - Consulate/packet 3 received
Jan 10, 2013 - Packet 4 received
Feb 4, 2013 - Medical exam
Feb 5, 2013 - Visa interview - pending RFE
Feb 19, 2013 - Visa interview - approved
Feb 25, 2013 - Visa received
March 2, 2013 - Gloria arrived in Philly
April 2, 2013 - Wedding

April 26, 2013 - AOS package sent (AOS, EAD, AP)

May 5, 2013 - NOA1 emails received for AOS, EAD, & AP

May 11, 2013 - NOA1 hard-copies received

June 5, 2013 - Biometrics

June 24, 2013 - EAD/AP approved

July 1, 2013 - EAD/AP combo card received

Sep 26, 2013 - AOS approved (no interview needed)

Oct 11, 2013 - Green card received!!!

Aug 10, 2015 - I-751 package sent

Aug 17, 2015 - NOA1 hard-copy received

Sep 16, 2015 - Biometrics

Dec 7, 2016 - I-751 Removal of Conditions approved (no interview needed)

Dec 22, 2016 - 10 year Green card received!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

She can drive with her driving license for a certain no of months, that depends from state to state, in Oklahoma DMV they told me 9 months, check with yours, after that she needs to take both written and practical test and get a driving license here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Each state has its own rules, it might be helpful for you to call the DMV and explain the situation. I live in ny and here the rule is that once you become a resident of ny you need to get an in state license, and that means starting from the beginning with a permit and everything. Good luck figuring this out.

Edited by Kastrs
Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm going through the same thing (in a different state). I have to get my learners permit again and then go for the practical test...again. (Dreading doing parallel parking!)

14 Jan 2011 - Fiance sent me a message on a dating website

14 Jan 2011 - I added him on Facebook

26 Jan 2011 - Had a 5 hour long conversation that changed my life!

05 Feb 2011 - We decided to be an exclusive relationship

29 Jun 2011 - We met for the first time. It was exactly as I knew it would be!

14 Jul 2011 - He had to leave to go back to USA

17 Jul 2011 - Booked flights for me to go to USA for 3 months on VWP

29 Nov 2011 - Arrived in USA

25 Dec 2011 - HE PROPOSED!

21 Feb 2012 - Left USA for Australia

K1 Visa Process

16 Apr 2012 - NOA1

08 Aug 2012 - RFE

11 Sep 2012 - CSC received RFE documentation

11 Sep 2012 - Did Police Clearance

18 Sep 2012 - NOA 2

26 Sep 2012 - NVC sent case to consulate

16 Oct 2012 - Packet 3 received

18 Oct 2012 - Sent DS-230 off to Sydney Consulate

01 Nov 2012 - Medical completed

07 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Sent to Consulate

08 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Delivered

15 Nov 2012 - Packet 4 Received

18 Dec 2012 - Interview APPROVED!

28 Dec 2012 - Entered USA POE:- LAX

09 Jan 2013 - Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Best thing you can do is going to the DMV and ask, as the requirements are different from State to State.

When I did it here in Indiana, I was told I could drive on my Italian license for one year provided I also carried its certified translation on official stationery (which I got from a university). I didn't have to apply for a learner's permit as I already had my out-of-Country license, but I had to take a written test and a driving test to get my Indiana driver's license.

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

the international is good for 1 year from arrival date or till it's expiration. the physical test is required. documentation of permanent residence is required. NOA from application for adjustment after marriage is good enuf, IIRC.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'm going through the same thing (in a different state). I have to get my learners permit again and then go for the practical test...again. (Dreading doing parallel parking!)

I took my road test in MA. I practiced and practiced parallel parking till I could do it in my sleep and the guy never asked me to do it! The test was ridiculously easy.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Technically, when being a visitor (meaning not a resident) she can drive with her foreign license. Thing is, K1 is a non-immigrant visa used for immigrating. So until AOS, she's not necessarily a resident, only a visitor. But it's a grey area.

However, I'd personally prefer to just get it overwith and go do the written test and what else is needed, within those 60 days. I'd dislike ending up in the learner's permit for xx months before being legally allowed to drive without anyone else in the car with a valid driver's license. So if there's a way of waiving the months of learner's permit, I'd go down that route. - Which means; get ssn now, save the envelope(when getting the ss card in mail) with the name and address on to present as proof of being a new resident and any other type of mail with her name and address on it. Bring marriage cert. if she'll be using her married name. And ofcourse passport and I94.

Soo.. On their webpage it says; "All new residents with out-of-state non-commercial driver's licenses must obtain a PA Driver’s License within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency. To apply, you must appear in person at one of ourDriver License Centers. You will be required to surrender your out-of-state driver’s license (valid or expired six months or less) before PennDOT can issue you a PA Driver's License. You will need to take a vision-screening test and complete Form DL-180R “Application for Pennsylvania Non-Commercial Driver’s License By Out-of-State Non-CDL Driver.” In addition, you will need to show proof of identification and residency and your Social Security card. Please visit our fees page for information on the fee for the product you will be requesting."

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_residents/driver_license.shtml

And here's a link to the locations of the license branches; http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/centers/locationsCenter.shtml

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi everyone. I've looked over the PA-DMV website and I'm a little confused. My wife entered the US as a K-1 fiancé. We were married a few weeks ago. She has a valid Italian driver's license and an International Driving Permit. My questions are: Does she need to apply for a permit and take a written and driving test? Or can she apply for a license (no tests) based on the fact that she is currently a licensed driver? Does she need to apply using the DL180 (permit with a medical exam) form or the DL180R (license and no medical exam) form? Thanks in advance!

Well..i am also from PA and last week i gave Computer Test and passed it successfully. It was damn easy to pass, we hav to get 15 questions correct out of 18 and u can also skip questions if u dont know them. After u pass they will take ur Vision Test and then give u a Valid Learner's Permit. But they asked me 2 Residence proofs. After u get ur Learner's Permit, u can immediately give ur Road Test if u know driving well.

Apart from what i understand is that if u hav a Foreign Lisence it will be valid for only 1 year, so after that u will have to apply and go thru all this process. So it is better to apply soon and get Driving Lisence after passing computer test.

I-130 / F-2A

USCIS

November 14 2013 I-130 Sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 15 2013 I-130 Received at Chicago Lockbox Facility

November 18 2013 Email from USCIS about Petition Acceptance (PD Nov 15 2013)

November 19 2013 I 797 NOA 1 received by mail

March 24 2015 Received E Mail and Text Notification about Case transfer to another USCIS Office

March 28 2015 Received Hard copy of Transfer Notice from USCIS

March 31 2015 Case Approved by USCIS

April 1 2015 Received Email and Text message for Case Approval

April 4 2015 Received Hard Copy of NOA2 from USCIS

NVC STAGE

April 16 2015 Case received at NVC

April 24 2015 Case Number and IIN received on Call

April 27 2015 Paid AOS Fees and Submitted DS-261

April 29 2015 Welcome Letter from NVC in Email

May 05 2015 DS-261 reviewed over phone

May 06 2015 AOS & Civil Documents sent to NVC

May 07 2015 Documents received at NVC

May 08 2015 Email from NVC to pay IV Fees

June 08 2015 IV PAID

June 10 2015 Submitted DS-260

July 13 2015 Case Completed

July 29 2015 Finally....Got Interview Date

Sep 18 2015 Interview (Approved)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.