Mo1689

Visa Deined under Section 221(g)

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi Vjers,

So I'm really upset right now. My wife had her interview today at the US consulate in Dhaka Bangladesh. All our documents were submitted, all the additional docs were brought to the interview. Yet, after the interview process they sent my wife home with letter saying that was temporarily declined a visa under Section 221(g). Here's what I've learned about section 221(g): http://www.cilawgroup.com/news/2009/12/24/visa-refusals-under-section-221g/.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do I do now? I'm just really upset over this; all these months of waiting, only to end up with this piece of bad news.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

Did she get the 221G form? Can you tell us what it says? Or better yet have her scan a copy, blur out the personal details, and post it here so people can advise you better.

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Vjers,

So I'm really upset right now. My wife had her interview today at the US consulate in Dhaka Bangladesh. All our documents were submitted, all the additional docs were brought to the interview. Yet, after the interview process they sent my wife home with letter saying that was temporarily declined a visa under Section 221(g). Here's what I've learned about section 221(g): http://www.cilawgroup.com/news/2009/12/24/visa-refusals-under-section-221g/.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do I do now? I'm just really upset over this; all these months of waiting, only to end up with this piece of bad news.

It says temporary decline, so they are requesting additional information. Just get that from your wife, and turn it in. Be patient, it maybe something that is really easy to fix.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Contact the embassy and ask to speak with the CO or email them if at all possible. If additional information is needed it would

state that on the letter in writing or one of the boxes would be check marked.

You can contact your senator to get more information on what the reason for the 221g is.

It's a long shot but worth a try. It may be just mandatory security checks.

They could return the petition to USCIS with recommendation to revoke, so be pro active asap.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Did she get the 221G form? Can you tell us what it says? Or better yet have her scan a copy, blur out the personal details, and post it here so people can advise you better.

True. Give us more information, if you don't mind.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi Vjers,

Are they asking more information?

Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for responding so quickly, this support really means a lot to me at this point.

I have a photo of the form she received but its too blurry to see anything, so I'll post a better photo as soon as she sends it.

No, they did not ask for any additional documents, as all our documents were accounted for. Also, they kept her passport. On the letter it roughly stated the following:

" You have been found inelegibal to receive a visa under the followign section of the Immigration & Nationality Act paragraph marked with x." And marked with "x" was section 221(g).

Hope this will help you all provide me with more information.

Thanks,

mo1689

No, they did not ask for any additional documents, as all our documents were accounted for. Also, they kept her passport. On the letter it roughly stated the following:

" You have been found inelegibal to receive a visa under the followign section of the Immigration & Nationality Act paragraph marked with x." And marked with "x" was section 221(g).

The fact that they kept the passport is a good sign.

221(g) is a fairly routine interview result. They either want something from you or just waiting on something (maybe a background check) to complete. For instance, my wife got one (which we were expecting) because they were waiting on the Hong Kong police to send a police certificate and it hadn't arrived at the time of the interview.

Anyway, you'll know exactly what the situation is when you can clearly read the form.

ROC

06/15/2013 - I-751 Sent

06/19/2013 - NOA 1

07/17/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to CSC

09/17/2013 - Approved!

09/23/2013 - Received approval notice.

10/09/2013 - Card received. Fini!

N400

12/18/2017 - N400 submitted

12/19/2017 - NOA

01/09/2018 - Biometrics

04/10/2018 - Interview

04/27/2018 - Oath

Timeline

The fact that they kept the passport is a good sign.

221(g) is a fairly routine interview result. They either want something from you or just waiting on something (maybe a background check) to complete. For instance, my wife got one (which we were expecting) because they were waiting on the Hong Kong police to send a police certificate and it hadn't arrived at the time of the interview.

Anyway, you'll know exactly what the situation is when you can clearly read the form.

Thank you for putting such a positive spin on this, I'm feeling less anxious about the whole thing.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

It means she is in AP (Administrative processing). The waiting time may be few weeks to few months. They will do further review. Don't worry. It's quite normal now a days they put some one under AP before issuing visa. 2 years back I was in AP too and they issued my visa after few weeks.

I know its hard to wait to be united with family. Be patient! Allah will help you soon.

tc

Timeline

It means she is in AP (Administrative processing). The waiting time may be few weeks to few months. They will do further review. Don't worry. It's quite normal now a days they put some one under AP before issuing visa. 2 years back I was in AP too and they issued my visa after few weeks.

I know its hard to wait to be united with family. Be patient! Allah will help you soon.

tc

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is very difficult to wait, and I hope that it's a few weeks and not a few months, I've been working really hard to get through this process, and everything was going smooth until this little hiccup appeared.

So I wrote to the embassy, and this is what they wrote back to me:

"Dear Mr. Lotif,

Thank you for contacting the US Embassy, Dhaka.

This is in response to your inquiry of April 17, 2013 in which you asked

about the status of your spouse's immigrant visa case.

The required additional processing is pending. We will contact the

applicant as soon as the process is complete. We appreciate your

patience and understanding on this matter.

We recommend that applicants not make any final departure plans until

they have the visas in hand.

We hope the above information is helpful."

They're still not clear as to what the problem is. I hate how non-transparent this particular procedure is.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is very difficult to wait, and I hope that it's a few weeks and not a few months, I've been working really hard to get through this process, and everything was going smooth until this little hiccup appeared.

So I wrote to the embassy, and this is what they wrote back to me:

"Dear Mr. Lotif,

Thank you for contacting the US Embassy, Dhaka.

This is in response to your inquiry of April 17, 2013 in which you asked

about the status of your spouse's immigrant visa case.

The required additional processing is pending. We will contact the

applicant as soon as the process is complete. We appreciate your

patience and understanding on this matter.

We recommend that applicants not make any final departure plans until

they have the visas in hand.

We hope the above information is helpful."

They're still not clear as to what the problem is. I hate how non-transparent this particular procedure is.

It's globally accepted to be one of the most non-transparent processes on earth. But this link attempts to provide some transparency.

Okay. So that's standard mumbo-jumbo for AP, aka advanced processing. This is quiet different than getting rejected or declined.

Since 2001 all males from certain ethinic and/or religious background that fells in certain category go through AP and that pretty standard. Sadly Bangladesh made it to that list. These days they are doing that for females as well. For females it is more like random and you will never know why one goes to AP an how long would they wait. This can mean a simple name check to god know what. So as others said prepare yourself from a month to 6 months of time. Even getting the senators or congressman involved will not get you out faster or they can expedite this on any way. The good thing is if your facts are straight you will come out of this hell hole.

So hold on and keep the positive spirit up. Look at it this way, after the interview you will probably bring her here right away and may no get the chance of doing many things. Get those things done and start preparing/planning for the PoE as well. Just to make sure your grounds are covered.

Stay positive and supportive to your wife. No one is as vulnerable as she is right now and is probably feeling guilty for this. Please support and comfor her as much as you can.

This will be over soon :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.