skatetrash

Starting Naturalization Application Today - any advice?

19 posts in this topic

After being in US on various visas and eventually a green card I'm finally applying for naturalization and am terrified of screwing up the process or getting so frustrated I give up completely. Any practical advice on what to do/not to do or just stay sane during the process will be much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

After being in US on various visas and eventually a green card I'm finally applying for naturalization and am terrified of screwing up the process or getting so frustrated I give up completely. Any practical advice on what to do/not to do or just stay sane during the process will be much appreciated.

Study but don't just study the answers to the questions, study why it is the answer. Learn some of the history if you haven't already. It will help during the testing. As well as remove the " omg I don't understand this but I need to remember the answers" issue.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I can tell you that the Naturalization process for me was the easiest one so far, in terms of gathering the paper work. Don't fret, just go through the N-400 form slowly.

If you have copies of your previous forms submitted for your green-card process, make sure you put down the same answers for the standard questions. In other words, just be consistent, same answers, same documents previously submitted and always tell the truth.

The only thing I found it tiresome was to get the dates on my passport when I travelled abroad for summer vacations during the period of my legal residence, calculating the days I was out of the country to put down on the form. :wacko: :wacko:

Being organized also helps. :thumbs:

The documents you will need are almost the same ones, original and copies: marriage certificate, if previously divorced, proof of termination - divorce decrees, passports, and very important, taxes filed. I called the IRS and ordered some transcripts and they came in 4 days in the mail. That was very helpful, because the officer in my interview asked to see those, and he kept them.

I had some utility bills to prove residence, 2 reports of joined bank accounts, car and health insurance cards.

Mind you, the officer didn't ask to see any of these, but I had them ready if he needed. The only thing he wanted to see was my taxes :bonk:

So, go slowly and breathe, it's almost over!

My process, from the date I filed to the interview today took 3 months and I got out of there with my Oath letter in hand, which will be on April 24. I can't wait to get to the end of this journey.

Best! (F)

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh, something else: the day you go for your biometrics, they give you a booklet with all the questions and answers for the test. I found particurlary helpful the CD it comes with it, which I could listen in the car, on my way to work and back. I watched documentaries on Netflix about the Civil War, Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, which were also helpful.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

First question is, are you applying for the 3 or 5 year, the latter is far simpler. If you went through the AOS and ROC stages, same old stuff again.

Filed: Other Timeline

Don't carry a loaded gun to the interview.

Don't spit into the I.O.'s face.

Don't say that you wish North Korea would turn the U.S. into a crater.

Short of that, you will find that the naturalization stage is so simple that a cave woman can do it. The less intelligence you have, the better:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/hey_wait_a_minute/2011/02/the_problem_with_question_36.html

Edited by Brother Hesekiel

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Don't carry a loaded gun to the interview.

Don't spit into the I.O.'s face.

Don't say that you wish North Korea would turn the U.S. into a crater.

Short of that, you will find that the naturalization stage is so simple that a cave woman can do it. The less intelligence you have, the better:

http://www.slate.com...uestion_36.html

You do make a point in a way, average IO does not like to interview a person that is obviously more intelligent than they are, and far superior in speaking the English language. Perhaps their reason is, if they make you a US citizen, you may take their job.

Is probably better to act stupid.

this is not a popular advice here, (since everyone seems to be an expert here in filing themselves, then short of giving themselves a heart attack on waiting if they did everything correct while waiting for a response), i actually retained a lawyer to do all my paperwork from day 1 to the finish line.. this is the most important last step in your journey and the last thing you want to do is screw it up.. sure, you save a couple of hundreds doing it alone but then if you mess it up, it will take twice as much to have it fixed.. my lawyer did all my paperwork and made sure i had everything's in order.. interview took less than 30 mins.. when you are sick, you go to a doctor.. when you have problems with your car, you go to a mechanic.. see where i am going here.. if you are in doubt on your n400 and want piece of mind, use a reputable immigration lawyer..

Edited by av8or

LPR 2007

CITIZENSHIP 2012

N-400 filed based marriage to usc = april ??

biometrics = june 21

interview = august 2

oath taking = august 29

done..

Short of that, you will find that the naturalization stage is so simple that a cave woman can do it.

Cave MAN!!!! :)

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

For a light-hearted look at part of the process, see here, si man:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382775-mrs-t-b-the-citizenship-test/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Be honest in your application. Keep track of all your travel dates you'll need this for your application. Also make a copy of your n-400 application so you can review it before your interview. I realized I had made an error with a travel date and was able to amend it at my interview. Once you get you first NOA sign up for USCIS text/email notifications, it updates you as soon as your status changes. Do an early biometrics if you can. It helped bump my processing time but that's just from my own experience. Good luck with your N-400 application! good.gif

Edited by FlipgalRN

Our Naturalization Journey (Detailed timeline in About Me section)

01/14/2013 Mailed N-400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox
01/18/2013 N-400 fees check cashed
01/18/2013 NOA Received (Biometrics appointment)
02/04/2013 Early Biometrics (Original date 02/14/2013)
02/07/2013 Status changed to in line for interview
02/13/2013 Received 2nd NOA (Interview scheduled)
02/15/2013 Received yellow letter from USCIS to bring DL
03/18/2013 N-400 Interview

03/20/2013 Status changed to in que for Oath ceremony
03/29/2013 Status changed to Oath ceremony scheduled and letter sent

04/01/2013 Received Oath Letter
04/09/2013 Oath Ceremony (N-400 completed in 2 months 3 weeks and 5 days)

event.png

this is not a popular advice here, (since everyone seems to be an expert here in filing themselves, then short of giving themselves a heart attack on waiting if they did everything correct while waiting for a response), i actually retained a lawyer to do all my paperwork from day 1 to the finish line.. this is the most important last step in your journey and the last thing you want to do is screw it up.. sure, you save a couple of hundreds doing it alone but then if you mess it up, it will take twice as much to have it fixed.. my lawyer did all my paperwork and made sure i had everything's in order.. interview took less than 30 mins.. when you are sick, you go to a doctor.. when you have problems with your car, you go to a mechanic.. see where i am going here.. if you are in doubt on your n400 and want piece of mind, use a reputable immigration lawyer..

Not trying to hijack your thread at all skatetrash but I don't think anyone here would claim to be an expert in any area of immigration. Every piece of information you need to complete the process from start to finish is here along with hundreds of people who have gone through the exact same steps that the next person needs to complete. That wealth of knowledge has been far more valuable to me than any false "piece of mind" I might have had with an attorney. I actually personally know several couples who have had more problems and their cases have taken way too long to complete because they did use an attorney. I'm sure a lot have had good experiences too but most that I know, both personally and here on VJ, didn't.

Having said that, I'm not just trolling...lol. My wife and I are going file in the next few months and I too was looking for a few tips if there were any. Sounds about as straight forward as the rest has been though :thumbs:

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Every piece of information you need to complete the process from start to finish is here along with hundreds of people who have gone through the exact same steps that the next person needs to complete. That wealth of knowledge has been far more valuable to me than any false "piece of mind" I might have had with an attorney. I actually personally know several couples who have had more problems and their cases have taken way too long to complete because they did use an attorney. I'm sure a lot have had good experiences too but most that I know, both personally and here on VJ, didn't.

there's a wealth of information out there on the internet.. as a matter of fact, if you need your appendix removed, you can google search the procedure.. heck you can even ask around those who have gone thru it and they will tell you what to do.. question is, are you dumb enough to do it? maybe the couple you know who's cases were problems when they retained a lawyer, did the process themselves, f ^*&^ it up, then come crying to a lawyer asking them to do miracles.. or maybe their case were f*&*^T up to begin with and then blame the lawyer.. i highly doubt a person trained in the field of immigration law would mess up.. that's what they do and are schooled for.. the advice you get from an immigration lawyer, far outweighs any you get from anyone here..

LPR 2007

CITIZENSHIP 2012

N-400 filed based marriage to usc = april ??

biometrics = june 21

interview = august 2

oath taking = august 29

done..

Timeline

My attorney that guided us through the AOS stage, didn't want anything to do with the ROC of citizenship stages, but did help me with some of those very nebulous questions. He knows I want a flat rate quote, and perhaps thought I would be calling him every five minutes for updates. When we did run into long delays, he advised us to contact our senator's office, can give that advice for free. Plus helping with those nebulous questions.

Where did I start? Downloaded and printed that M-476 manual, supplements, instructions, and the N-400 form. Instructions state average time for the N-400 is around six hours, was far less than that for the five year, but try more like 30 hours for the three year.

Want free advice? Wait another two years.

there's a wealth of information out there on the internet.. as a matter of fact, if you need your appendix removed, you can google search the procedure.. heck you can even ask around those who have gone thru it and they will tell you what to do.. question is, are you dumb enough to do it? maybe the couple you know who's cases were problems when they retained a lawyer, did the process themselves, f ^*&^ it up, then come crying to a lawyer asking them to do miracles.. or maybe their case were f*&*^T up to begin with and then blame the lawyer.. i highly doubt a person trained in the field of immigration law would mess up.. that's what they do and are schooled for.. the advice you get from an immigration lawyer, far outweighs any you get from anyone here..

I guess my only question left for you then would be, why are you here? You have no timeline, your journey starts with citizenship, you have no personal stats or information on your profile and obviously don't need any help or advice from such an uneducated group as us. I didn't suggest that all attorneys did a poor job, just the facts of cases I knew of. The attorney does exactly the same thing...fill out the proper forms, file them at the appropriate times...etc. That's just my opinion though

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.