Sveta & Ron

ukraine passport

11 posts in this topic

sveta was asking me last night about how to change her last name in her ukraine passport and she was hoping this may would be able to do so if anyone knows how to do this please enlighten us

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I was wondering if punctuation will ever make an appearance in your posts, but this just put the last nail in the coffin. So I'm just going to try to respond in the way that you might find more to your liking,

Ahem, so here it is:

she doesnt need change passport name in ukraine now makes sense no do it maybe helps after now doesnt matter make trouble worry much too point no ever make some understand dont you thanks.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

if not like reading my posts and many others then DO NOT READ THEM DUH you as a long time vj user I would have thought seen enough of people being rude guess to point you are becoming one

Timeline

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We have been married for over 5 years now and have never changed my wife's name in her Russian Passport. When she flies home for a visit we book her international flights in her maiden name so the ticket matches her passport and that lets her get into Russia. When she returns to the USA she uses her green card to get back into the USA so it isn't a problem. If we make an international flight such as we did when we went to Nassau in December we also make her ticket in the maiden name but any flights in the USA we book in her married name and use her Drivers Liscence for ID. When it is time for her passport to expire we may look into changing to her married name but may just leave it as it is. We will be applying for citizenship for her in a few months and when she gets a US passport I would expect it will be in her married name but I think to avoid the visa that would be required without her Russian Passport we probably won't change that.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We had a terrible time. The Ukraine Embassy in DC refused to change her passport unless we provided a specific law that says being married changes your last name. After much research and a call the the Maryland Attorney general and Dept of State it turns out there is no specific law one can quote that causes the name change. We actually had to file for a legal name change in the Circuit Court for my county and when the Judges order was signed we had it certified by Apostile and submitted it with the application. The Embassy said that there had been an increase of fees ordered by Kiev only days earlier and we must pay that in cash ($60) in addition to the $200 fee for new passport. We paid. We were then told that they were out of passport blanks and we would have to wait. About 3 weeks later we received a letter telling us to pick up the new passport. This will be the last Ukraine passport she gets the next one will be USA. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We had a problem with my wife's Russian passport. It (they )were expiring and we were headed to Russia to do the renewal when we realized her Russian international passport had just expired, mistaking the difference in how dates are written in the US vs Europe. Checked and found out she would not be allowed to enter Russia on her expired Russian passport. Talked with the Russian embassy and they would not renew it because they said with an expired passport they had no proof she was a Russian citizen...#######? Went through all the hoops they asked for, birth certificate from a former Soviet republic, where she was in 1992, where she was living before she moved to the US. The embassy said they could not verify that she was living in Russia before she moved to the US...#######?

My wife got her US passport just a month before her Russian passport expired, so after all this she said she really doesn't need or care about her Russian passport. The only down side is she won't be able to travel back to Russia. Maybe some day we will get this all figured out.

Funny thing is we were in Washington DC two weeks ago and I mentioned to her we should visit the Russian embassy and try to figure this out. She basically told me the only reason she would go to the Russian embassy would be to "take a dump on their front steps"...or something to that effect.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline

Actually, I never understood Ukraine nationals who would want to change their name.... I mean, you don't need a visa anymore to visit Ukraine (unlike Russia, for example), so why the hell even care? Just use U.S. Passport when you get one to do it... renew your Ukrainian passport while you are visiting (with the maiden name there) and forget about everything.

As far as Ukraine is concerned - they don't know jack s.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

My wife got her US passport just a month before her Russian passport expired, so after all this she said she really doesn't need or care about her Russian passport. The only down side is she won't be able to travel back to Russia. Maybe some day we will get this all figured out.

Funny thing is we were in Washington DC two weeks ago and I mentioned to her we should visit the Russian embassy and try to figure this out. She basically told me the only reason she would go to the Russian embassy would be to "take a dump on their front steps"...or something to that effect.

Right this is the concern, that the spouse will have to get a visa to travel to HER OWN BIRTH COUNTRY. Maybe it's a pride thing? Though to be fair if the reverse were true we wouldn't want to have to get a US visa just to travel back home.

I worried about the same thing so we did the US documents in her maiden name too. In Ukraine of course travel up to ninety days is visa free. But some other unforeseeable points are that if you keep one passport (US) in the married name and the other (Ukrainian) in the maiden name, what happens when you have and travel with kids to visit grandma and grandpa?? Don't know about Ukraine but in Russia the children in the beginning are written in their parents' passports, and there's tons of red tape for one spouse to bring the child out of country without the other. So much so that my sister-in-law was denied taking her daughter with her (without husband) out of country-right at the airport-because she forgot this doverranost' or whatever.

Also, I can foresee issues like the two of you buying property over there and it's tough to register you (propiska) at the property since the last names are different.

So, yeah, bureaucracy can still be a bi*ch over there - half the time you can't even take a number to wait in line :wow:

So think this over before you go through with name changing. Even if your reasons are masculinity-based (and believe me, I understand) - don't worry! Even if she keeps her maiden name, your lovely lady won't start burning her bras and tossing lipstick :devil: As long as you follow Slim's wife's advice from long ago - "because you, husband, must take care of wife" - she'll play her role, maiden name and all, and you can remain happily in yours :yes:

Timeline

Right this is the concern, that the spouse will have to get a visa to travel to HER OWN BIRTH COUNTRY. Maybe it's a pride thing? Though to be fair if the reverse were true we wouldn't want to have to get a US visa just to travel back home.

And for Russians, this (getting a visa to their home country) is not even possible unless they have gone through the steps to renounce their Russian citizenship.

When the embassy told us they could not renew my wife's passport because they could not prove she was a Russian citizen (stupid), we then thought it might be easier to just renounce Russian citizenship. We asked about that and they told us sure, first she would have to RENEW HER PASSPORT and then do the paperwork and procedure for renouncing.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.