memmy

Change of my Last Name

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi guys,

I need your advice about the change of my last name. I will need to make trips to Ukraine at least once per year. What is more practical to do with my last name: to change it to my husband's or to leave my maiden name, or maybe to hyphenate it? If I change my last name, how will I travel internationally? Also, if I don't change it to my husband's, how will the customs let me in the US when I will be back from Ukraine? Thanks a lot!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi guys,

I need your advice about the change of my last name. I will need to make trips to Ukraine at least once per year. What is more practical to do with my last name: to change it to my husband's or to leave my maiden name, or maybe to hyphenate it? (HYPHENATE IT) If I change my last name, how will I travel internationally?(DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS QUESTION) Also, if I don't change it to my husband's, how will the customs let me in the US when I will be back from Ukraine? (YOU CAN CHANGE IT WHEN YOU GET MARRIED AND FILE YOUR AOS PAPERS) Thanks a lot!

Keep it Real

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Back to my question that you did not understand. I was asking how should I travel internationally with a new last name, but with an international passport that still has my maiden name

Get the tickets in the name listed under your Ukrainian passport and take a copy of your marriage license or certificate that show your married name that matches your greencard or advance parole document. That's what my wife did on her first trip back to Ukraine.

Edited by Tanya and Barry

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

Get the tickets in the name listed under your Ukrainian passport and take a copy of your marriage license or certificate that show your married name that matches your greencard or advance parole document. That's what my wife did on her first trip back to Ukraine.

Ok, thanks! One more question I have for you: when she filed Adjustment of Status, did it cost any extra to file Travel Permit and Work Authorization? Or all those fees were included in Adjustment of status fee?

Hi guys,

I need your advice about the change of my last name. I will need to make trips to Ukraine at least once per year. What is more practical to do with my last name: to change it to my husband's or to leave my maiden name, or maybe to hyphenate it? If I change my last name, how will I travel internationally? Also, if I don't change it to my husband's, how will the customs let me in the US when I will be back from Ukraine? Thanks a lot!

It is very simple. You travel on the official government issued ID--I.E. your passport. The airline ticket name MUST match that name. Period. Now if you get teh GC in your maiden name then both teh GC and passport match. If you change your name so your GC is either your married name or a hyphenated version then the GC will have that name and your passport will have your maiden name (that is until you change the name in your passport and if it valid for several why bother?) you still purchase the tickets in the nam ein your passport. The trick is the GC and convincing the airlines that you are the same person. Typically it is recommend that you carry a copy of the marriage certificate to show that you are one and the same person. The GC is only used for getting back into the US. Period. The CBP have all your information so when they scan teh GC upon re-entry it comes up and they can see the whole situation. The airlines are a different story. They just want to make certain that you will be allowed into the US so they do not have to carry you back on their dime--so they check the GC too. So airlines are good about knowing the rules and others not so. This is where is might pay to spend a few dollars more to get a good airline verses the cheapest fare out there.

When the time comes and the GC expires and you have an extension letter, you can travel on the expired GC with the original extension letter.

Good luck on your travels.

Dave

Timeline

Ok, thanks! One more question I have for you: when she filed Adjustment of Status, did it cost any extra to file Travel Permit and Work Authorization? Or all those fees were included in Adjustment of status fee?

No additional fee when you apply for WA and Advance Parole at the same time you apply for adjustment of status (AOS) :thumbs:

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

It is very simple. You travel on the official government issued ID--I.E. your passport. The airline ticket name MUST match that name. Period. Now if you get teh GC in your maiden name then both teh GC and passport match. If you change your name so your GC is either your married name or a hyphenated version then the GC will have that name and your passport will have your maiden name (that is until you change the name in your passport and if it valid for several why bother?) you still purchase the tickets in the nam ein your passport. The trick is the GC and convincing the airlines that you are the same person. Typically it is recommend that you carry a copy of the marriage certificate to show that you are one and the same person. The GC is only used for getting back into the US. Period. The CBP have all your information so when they scan teh GC upon re-entry it comes up and they can see the whole situation. The airlines are a different story. They just want to make certain that you will be allowed into the US so they do not have to carry you back on their dime--so they check the GC too. So airlines are good about knowing the rules and others not so. This is where is might pay to spend a few dollars more to get a good airline verses the cheapest fare out there.

When the time comes and the GC expires and you have an extension letter, you can travel on the expired GC with the original extension letter.

Dave

Thanks a lot, Dave! I never knew why airlines were so scrupulous in checking people out, but now I do. Thanks again!

Timeline

Dave

:thumbs:

The airlines and passport control in Ukraine see this so often that it doesn't even give them pause...

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

No additional fee when you apply for WA and Advance Parole at the same time you apply for adjustment of status (AOS) :thumbs:

Fantastic! Thanks! I was really afraid that we would have to pay 1070 for AOF + around 350 for Travel and 350 for work permit. Happy to hear to will have to pay 1070 total

Timeline

I will tell you what we did and for a number of reasons this worked well for us

Alla kept her maiden name when we got married and throughout her period as an LPR. Her passport and green card matched in names and there was never a question about anything. No muss, no fuss.

When she became a citizen, she changed her name at the same time (that is an option with citizenship) to my name. Now her US passport, drivers license and all other ID are in her "married name". Again, no muss, no fuss.

we never mentioned any of this to Ukraine...oops forgot.

Changing names is a personal decision, there is absolutely no immigration benefit for doing so and you do NOT "have to" change your name nor is it considered evidence of a "legitimate marriage"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

:thumbs:

The airlines and passport control in Ukraine see this so often that it doesn't even give them pause...

That is true also.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I will tell you what we did and for a number of reasons this worked well for us

Alla kept her maiden name when we got married and throughout her period as an LPR. Her passport and green card matched in names and there was never a question about anything. No muss, no fuss.

When she became a citizen, she changed her name at the same time (that is an option with citizenship) to my name. Now her US passport, drivers license and all other ID are in her "married name". Again, no muss, no fuss.

we never mentioned any of this to Ukraine...oops forgot.

Changing names is a personal decision, there is absolutely no immigration benefit for doing so and you do NOT "have to" change your name nor is it considered evidence of a "legitimate marriage"

I was thinking about the same: first two years my last name, then my husband's. Would that cost me any extra money? TO change driver's licence, SSN, and so on from my last name to his when I will be getting my citizenship? ( I assume I will be driving till that time)

Timeline

I was thinking about the same: first two years my last name, then my husband's. Would that cost me any extra money? TO change driver's licence, SSN, and so on from my last name to his when I will be getting my citizenship? ( I assume I will be driving till that time)

It is about 4 years until you become a citizen. Alla kept her maiden name for the ROC also.

It costs nothing to change your name with citizenship and is done by the same district court that administers the oath of citizenship. It cost $15 to change her name on the drivers license, but that varies by state. Nothing else cost any money, it is just a matter of notifications. Some of her credit cards and things are still in her maiden name but who cares? All her ID and SSN are in her married name now

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Dave

And if I will travel back to Ukraine while still waiting on my temporary GC ( that is on my Travel Parole), what will I have to show to the airline representatives in Ukraine? My pasport won't have a visa, so I will show them my parole of entry document, my international passport, and that's it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.