stephmd

Should I be worried?! Regarding AOS

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Confidently sent in the AOS with all the necessary documents and was only concerned about my income not being enough. I sent proof of my assets which I assumed would be more than enough to make up the difference (six figures). Now I received a letter stating that my income does not meet the requirement, and the consular officer will make a decision at the time of the interview. I'm panicking! I'm basically wondering about what our odds are looking like...I would hate to be denied even though the assets are substantial.

I don't really have anyone I can ask to submit joint sponsorship. So what should my husband and I expect at the interview? Will they be asking about the assets? Will we need to defend why my income is low?

I honestly thought the assets would be enough for us to have the AOS approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Aos? You posted under IR1/CR1 forum...what visa did your spouse enter on? Entering under these visas you don't do aos if I understood correctly. You need to have your income or a joint sponsor in time of the embassy interview...

Could be just me not understanding, I tried to look at your timeline but for some reason I couldn't open it...

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Aos? You posted under IR1/CR1 forum...what visa did your spouse enter on? Entering under these visas you don't do aos if I understood correctly. You need to have your income or a joint sponsor in time of the embassy interview...

Could be just me not understanding, I tried to look at your timeline but for some reason I couldn't open it...

The OP is talking about her Affidavit of Support packet not the Adjustment of Status. They are currently at the NVC stage.

Filed: Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

A joint sponsor will help a lot.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone who I would feel comfortable asking to be a joint sponsor since it is a serious matter. The only people I would rely on would be my own parents, and they are now both deceased. I thought assets would more than make up for income...

Well how many dependents do you have?

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Confidently sent in the AOS with all the necessary documents and was only concerned about my income not being enough. I sent proof of my assets which I assumed would be more than enough to make up the difference (six figures). Now I received a letter stating that my income does not meet the requirement, and the consular officer will make a decision at the time of the interview. I'm panicking! I'm basically wondering about what our odds are looking like...I would hate to be denied even though the assets are substantial.

I don't really have anyone I can ask to submit joint sponsorship. So what should my husband and I expect at the interview? Will they be asking about the assets? Will we need to defend why my income is low?

This is a standard email. The CO will make the decision. NVC is just telling you that. If you're confident you qualify, then relax. Your AOS has been sent on to the Consulate. If you were short of income and had a million in cash, you would have received the exact same email.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Unfortunately I don't have anyone who I would feel comfortable asking to be a joint sponsor since it is a serious matter. The only people I would rely on would be my own parents, and they are now both deceased. I thought assets would more than make up for income...

Honestly, im "unemployed". But got approved at NVC because of a joint sponsor. :) I guess, that's the thing you really need. just too bad you can't find one :(

I am the USC

This is a standard email. The CO will make the decision. NVC is just telling you that. If you're confident you qualify, then relax. Your AOS has been sent on to the Consulate. If you were short of income and had a million in cash, you would have received the exact same email.

He's right. Relax! :) The CO will still decide. ;)

I am the USC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Line up a sponsor and take the docs with you to the interview a little safety net of you need it.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Timeline
1361051592[/url]' post='5984394']

What kind of assets did you use to show? I used all assets and never received any kind of letter as the one you mentioned...

Filed: Timeline
1361055916[/url]' post='5984467']

Does this apply only for cr1 or k1 as well? I went through the entire process using only assets and never received any kind of email nor letter stating my income was not accepted, and of course going through casablanca, you would have thought this same scenario would have applied to me, correct?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Does this apply only for cr1 or k1 as well? I went through the entire process using only assets and never received any kind of email nor letter stating my income was not accepted, and of course going through casablanca, you would have thought this same scenario would have applied to me, correct?

No. Your affidavit of support was never submitted to NVC. This is an NVC issue.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=720b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=720b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Income Requirements

You also must meet certain income requirements (whether you are a sponsor, a joint sponsor, or a substitute sponsor). You must show that your household income is equal to or higher than 125% of the U.S. poverty level for your household size. (Your household size includes you, your dependents, any relatives living with you, and the immigrants you are sponsoring.)

So, in order to see if you meet the standard, google I-864P form. Look at your family size, and look at 125%. It will tell you what annual income needs to be. If you dont meet that, then you can count assets. The USCIS website explains it very clearly. You SHOULD know when you complete form I-134 whether you meet the standard or do not meet the standard.

IR-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Married: 10 July 2010

I-130 NOA1 : 16 December 2011

I-130 NOA2 : 18 May 2012

Interview Date : 04 January 2013

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09 January 2013

CFO Seminar : 05 February 2013

US Entry : 14 March 2013

US Port of Entry: Dallas, Texas

Processing Time: Your I-130 was approved in 154 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 385 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Time from NOA1 until landing in the USA: 454 days

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864p.pdf

Look to see how many in your family, then the dollar ammount is the annual income required:

2 - $16,500

3 - $20,750

4 -$25,000

5 - $29,250

6 -$33,500

7 -$37,750

8 -$42,000

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=720b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=720b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Now if your income is not sufficient, then you can use assets:

You may add the cash value of your assets. This includes money in savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and property. To determine the amount of assets required to qualify, subtract your household income from the minimum income requirement (125% of the poverty level for your family size). You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over).

You should know whether you can meet the income requirement or if you will need a co-sponsor. There should be little doubt if you have the required income/assets. Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Kevin_S

IR-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Married: 10 July 2010

I-130 NOA1 : 16 December 2011

I-130 NOA2 : 18 May 2012

Interview Date : 04 January 2013

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09 January 2013

CFO Seminar : 05 February 2013

US Entry : 14 March 2013

US Port of Entry: Dallas, Texas

Processing Time: Your I-130 was approved in 154 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 385 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Time from NOA1 until landing in the USA: 454 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.