nievielea

US minor children & ex husband - Australian mother needs visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, this is my first visit to this site, so in advance I'd like to thank all those who choose to share their experiences or comment on their dealings with the US Immigration process.

I'm an Australian citizen (49 years) residing in Australia. My US citizen children aged 17 years and 11 years also live in Australia, as does my US born ex-husband. He is planning to relocate back to the US after an extended period of absence (16 years) to spend time with his siblings and ageing parents. My children are also wanting to relocate to the US for the same reasons. My ex-husband is planning to move this year (2013), and we are hoping that we can all move together as we don't want the children to have an extended time away from him.

My question is - which visa should I apply for - it seems the I-130 is a very time consuming option. I'm a Registered Nurse so shouldn't have any problems finding employment, however most working visas are of a short duration, ie 2 years. I will require a permanent residency visa as my daughter will need me to raise her for at least the next 7 years.

Thanks again

There is no visa option for you, if you are indeed the ex-wife. Your children and husband are USC, so they will not have any problem, unless your ex USC husband is willing to re-marry you, there is nothing avavilable for you unless you apply for some type of work visa seperately from their process.

Your USC children will be able to petition for you when they are 21 years of age.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can't get a family visa- the earliest that could happen would be in 4 years time, when your older child turns 21 and can petition for you as her parent, and then it'll take about a year for you to get the visa/ greencard.

For a work visa, you first need to find an employer to petition you, and then their immigration lawyer would handle the paperwork. Most work visas start as short term and then if your employer is pleased with you, they may help you get a greencard after a few years (by which time you could probably get one through your then adult child anyways).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Are not the children Australian citizens as well.

The 17 year old is either old enough or soon will be to make his own call. The 11 year old would normally requires your permission.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

There is no visa option for you, if you are indeed the ex-wife. Your children and husband are USC, so they will not have any problem, unless your ex USC husband is willing to re-marry you, there is nothing avavilable for you unless you apply for some type of work visa seperately from their process.

Your USC children will be able to petition for you when they are 21 years of age.

If she were to re-marry her ex that would be fraud. She would be marrying only to obtain a visa.

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a work visa for nursing. You can google "nursing visa retrogression" and visit the world forum at allnurses.com

The wait is >5 years at this point since there isn't a current shortage of nurses due to the economy...many new grads are not able to get jobs, let alone foreign nurses.

Unfortunately there isn't really a way for you to get a green card unless you marry a USC, wait for your kids to be able to petition you, spend $500,000-1 million on an investor visa, or get a student visa...you can try contacting a lawyer, but I don't see any other options for you...

I know there are treaties between US and Australia in regards to minor children, so he can't just take the child to the USA without your permission.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.