visaqueries

Questions about Getting Married

164 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yeah but you pshawed her by implying that only can happen in Jordan because it's an Islamic country. Now you're back peddling saying you were going to get married next door to a mosque (why?) and now it's oh I could've gotten married at home. Which is it?

C.. I am not arguing the fact that one cannot marry outside a mosque LOL...WE as a couple decided to as many do. If we wanted to marry at home we could have.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Timeline

No. I m in the US. I was married in Jordan. But as others have stated, Imams are not tied to a masjid, my husband's brother was married In Houston, at home by an Imam...So I know it is possible. She needs to contact her local Islamic center for specifics

I had a blonde moment...i forgot you guys were married here in the US...blush.gif

I love your blonde moments C.... Hope all is well with you and hubby.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

No. I m in the US. I was married in Jordan. But as others have stated, Imams are not tied to a masjid, my husband's brother was married In Houston, at home by an Imam...So I know it is possible. She needs to contact her local Islamic center for specifics

Pfft. I totally thought that imams were chained to the mosque with a ball and chain, and that they only had it removed for showers. Now my image is ruined. :P

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

No. I m in the US. I was married in Jordan. But as others have stated, Imams are not tied to a masjid, my husband's brother was married In Houston, at home by an Imam...So I know it is possible. She needs to contact her local Islamic center.

thank you, but we will marry at our mosque. its not an issue.

Timeline

Pfft. I totally thought that imams were chained to the mosque with a ball and chain, and that they only had it removed for showers. Now my image is ruined. :P

rofl.gif sorry to burst your bubble whistling.gif

Timeline

No. I m in the US. I was married in Jordan. But as others have stated, Imams are not tied to a masjid, my husband's brother was married In Houston, at home by an Imam...So I know it is possible. She needs to contact her local Islamic center.

thank you, but we will marry at our mosque. its not an issue.

My post about marrying at home was not for you, it was for the OP. None of my comments here have been for you. You hijacked this thread. I am trying to come up with solutions for the person who originally posted this thread, not for you. I honestly could care less about your religious convictions. The OP has a problem and we are trying to help her find. My answer, if you were to read way back on the last page was to answer her question about having to be married at the Egyptian embassy in the US. This is for devotedpartners by the way...when I tried to reply back to her post it would't allow me

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: Timeline

Yeah but you pshawed her by implying that only can happen in Jordan because it's an Islamic country. Now you're back peddling saying you were going to get married next door to a mosque (why?) and now it's oh I could've gotten married at home. Which is it?

Mithra, when I said next door to the mosque, i was speaking about a room just 20 feet away with a desk and chair. We married inside the mosque. As far as only happening in Jordan, I meant they do not mary inside a mosque as we do here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

ok, party is over. half a dozen posts removed for tos violations.

cease the bickering, stay on topic. many of you know the song and dance.

one member thread banned for hijacking the topic

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Yeah, we were married int eh courthouse too. All that annoying running around for stamps and the blood tests. Took 2 days from start to finish. Bleh.

I wish our running around only took 2 days wacko.gif...and I swear if the judge told us we needed one more stamp I was going to scream mad.gif, every time we went back to the court they were like'"Oh yeah, you need a stamp from 'insert the name of a ministry or civil office here', too blink.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Whew! A lot happened to this thread while I was working today. Somehow I feel I missed quite a bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions about a home service. It's something else to investigate. I did send a letter to the Egyptian Embassy last night to see if they actually perform marriage ceremonies. That will answer the first question. If the answer is no, there's no need to ask them any of my other questions. We'll see how long it takes to receive the answer.

Our not set in stone plan when he arrives is as such...he'll fly into New York City (best direct flight). They have a Consulate there. If this crazy proposition is indeed something that works for all parties, we might pursue it in NYC. He has a few places he'd like to see--NYC, DC, Walt Disney World :). My extended family owns a beach house on the shore in South Jersey (not affected by Sandy), so we will have the opportunity to drive down the coast to get all of our vacationing in (hoping it's summer, and this teacher doesn't have to work). After visiting Mickey and Minnie, we'll set our sights for the amazing midwest and find our home.

If my first question to the Embassy receives a negative reply, we'll continue to discuss how it will all work out. I'm still gathering any piece of information I can find, but I know the first thing I must do is wait for an answer...This whole site is dedicated to the best "waiters" anyway. Guess I'm in good company.

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

As a muslim, i am curious to know where you read about people here being irreligious or nominally christians? my wife is a christian, and i would take it very offensive if you called her irreligious as you know nothing about her and her christian background. I take it as you are not a practicing muslim and pribably most likely pray on during ramadan and skip the rest of the year critizing christians on here. Is this what Islam has tought you? to be sarcastic against others who come here asking for help? I truly hope my wife learns nothing from you here. I dont like what you write here.

you didn't understand a word i wrote.

i don't care one way or another if anyone on this forum is the most atheistic atheist that ever was, or the most christian of all the christians that ever was. but like it or not, it is not orthodox in the christian faith to get married in a masjid, under any circumstances. it is just as unorthodox in christianity to get married in a masjid as it would be for a muslim to get married at st. peter's in rome.

i don't care if you don't like that. or if your fiance doesn't like it. it's not my business, and i'm not making it my business how religious either of you two are. but no matter how much you pitch a fit about it on the internet, or throw around baseless accusations about me, it still remains unorthodox for christians to get married in masjids. like it or lump it.

and since i became a member here in 2006, it's been my observation that there are a whole lot of women here who are christian but married in masjids. but i don't know of a single muslim male married to a christian who has been married in a church. it's an interesting phenomena, with likely a whole lot of varied reasons.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Bet you haven't heard of many Muslim husbands converting to Christianity for their wives either...although the opposit is quite common it seems.

Betsy El Sum

You need neither an Imam nor a mosque to get Islamically married, although both are welcome.

Edited by oldahmed

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Bet you haven't heard of many Muslim husbands converting to Christianity for their wives either...although the opposit is quite common it seems.

I know two... three families where the Muslim husband converted to Christianity (for their wives? not for me to say!). Many more of the opposite, sure, but the former certainly isn't unheard of!

That all being said, why does this MENA forum so often turn into defensiveness and namecalling? :( Seriously... and I didn't even see the posts that were deleted!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.