RosyG

Interview Question

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Vjers,

This is a crazy question to ask but we are our brother and our sister's keeper here on VJ so i decided to post this question for suggestions. My husband and i got married in 2009 but we started fililng in march 2012 and i know i am going to be asked why my husband hadnt filed for me all along. My husband really doesnt have a reason why, initially he told me it was due to financial challenges which doesnt sound good to me because he works as a nurse and is well paid. Plssssssssss help me as i am preparing for my interview and i know dis question will be asked but have no appropriate answer in mind to give. God bless u all.

Edited by RosyG

With God all things are possible!

I don't see why this will be a problem for you interview, I mean YES its a very long wait, but throughout those years was your husband traveling back and forth to see you? Things happen and so does financial issue, is just a matter of being honest there no need to lie.

~* GodsGift225*~

Timeline

@Godsgift and mimolicious, u too are correct but he hasnt visited since then either, that was the last time i saw him so its kind of hard :unsure: What do u think really? He doesnt even want me to mention financial issues now as the reason that he gave me then and i am just wondering what else to say. I am not hinking of lying but wondering how to answer in a way dat will not bring up too many other questons:help:

Edited by RosyG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

@Godsgift and mimolicious, u too are correct but he hasnt visited since then either, that was the last time i saw him so its kind of hard :unsure: What do u think really? He doesnt even want me to mention financial issues now as the reason that he gave me then and i am just wondering what else to say. I am not hinking of lying but wondering how to answer in a way dat will not bring up too many other questons:help:

What I think and know, is that you have to tell the truth, no matter what. Lying or omitting facts when asked is material misrepresentation and can result in a denial and ban. Why would you want to risk that?

Timeline

What I think and know, is that you have to tell the truth, no matter what. Lying or omitting facts when asked is material misrepresentation and can result in a denial and ban. Why would you want to risk that?

Thanks Mimolicious, i sure will qnd hope for nothing but the best :thumbs:

As mimolicious states the truth is the only way out of this on, regardless of the fact you guy will get questioned over the fact why he spend such a long time with out traveling, My suggestion speak with the TRUST, do NOT leave anything out. And be prepared to go full back with evidence as I hear Niagara is a hard consulate.

Your relationship maybe question yes... but again you have to proof to them of the ongoing of your relationship and when asked why so long he need to come clear. Don't risk it for lie... or "analyzing" what to tell them. Think about it... Good luck on your decision.

~* GodsGift225*~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Vjers,

This is a crazy question to ask but we are our brother and our sister's keeper here on VJ so i decided to post this question for suggestions. My husband and i got married in 2009 but we started fililng in march 2012 and i know i am going to be asked why my husband hadnt filed for me all along. My husband really doesnt have a reason why, initially he told me it was due to financial challenges which doesnt sound good to me because he works as a nurse and is well paid. Plssssssssss help me as i am preparing for my interview and i know dis question will be asked but have no appropriate answer in mind to give. God bless u all.

RosyG not to worry. Financial matters could mean a lot for hom. Trying to settle things make it all good for u to come here.

Many have waited. I waited 9 months after marriage to file cuz well I needed a job.

I know many who didn't visit for a long time.

Go talk to Ayo820 she will give you good information to success.

If asked just tell the truth financial matters is very well understood. It would also explain why he hasn't visited due to financial matters. Just because someone has a good paying job doesn't mean all is well.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

RosyG not to worry. Financial matters could mean a lot for hom. Trying to settle things make it all good for u to come here.

Many have waited. I waited 9 months after marriage to file cuz well I needed a job.

I know many who didn't visit for a long time.

Go talk to Ayo820 she will give you good information to success.

If asked just tell the truth financial matters is very well understood. It would also explain why he hasn't visited due to financial matters. Just because someone has a good paying job doesn't mean all is well.

Thank u very much Dwheels, i sure will talk to Ayo and ofcos I have enough evidence. Thank God!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I married in 2003 and we filed in 2009... Granted, we traveled and saw each other often and Italy is not considered a difficult immigration country... He did get asked why and he told the truth, he worked on ships and it was more tax advantageous for him not to become lpr. But I would tell the truth (and be sure to discuss with your hubby so you both are on the same page.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

I married in 2003 and we filed in 2009... Granted, we traveled and saw each other often and Italy is not considered a difficult immigration country... He did get asked why and he told the truth, he worked on ships and it was more tax advantageous for him not to become lpr. But I would tell the truth (and be sure to discuss with your hubby so you both are on the same page.

Thank u very much Christeen, i sure will do that and hope for the very best.

Filed: Timeline
My husband really doesnt have a reason why, initially he told me it was due to financial challenges which doesnt sound good to me because he works as a nurse and is well paid. Plssssssssss help me as i am preparing for my interview and i know dis question will be asked but have no appropriate answer in mind to give.

The truth is always the best answer.

You say you and your husband didnt have a reason for waiting, but thats not really true is it? I mean theres always a reason. Think hard. Everything has a reason behind it. You first came up with 'due to financial challenges' (your husbands suggestion) and your gut is telling you "it doesnt sound good to me" - so if you dont believe it, you expect them to?? Youre going through a hard consulate. If you show any kind of doubt or that your not 110% certain of everything youre saying- youre going to be denied/placed into AP/ given RFEs etc.

Spend some time reflecting on your marriage and the past few years and determine why you waited so long to file. It could be a combination of factors. No one says it has to be one. Whatever you tell them has to 1 make sense, 2 be believable 3 have proof or other supporting documentation.

Perhaps writing down a list of reasons why you werent ready to immigrate would be helpful. Match it up with things you could present as evidence to support it. Maybe you had a job you loved and werent ready to leave. Perhaps a sick relative, or elderly grandmother who you wanted to spend time with before she passed. Maybe you had schooling or other obligations there. Maybe his finances werent sufficient because he had other obligations that are not reflected in his tax returns but you can show like credit card statements or loan documents.

Theres a lot of reasons. But youre going to have a difficult interview because since youve been married for over 2 years, you would be receiving the 10 yr GC. So theres no ROC for you. Youre basically applying for AOS and ROC at the same time. Youre going to be proving the marriage was not for benefits right now.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think capri has spoke my mind, first of all I like u to put everything in God's hand..cos honestly Nigerian Consulate is not a joking one.all I can advice more is to draw down ur facts as capri as said....reason like a consulate buh not just the consulates in canada or england buh the very one of Nigeria...who can place someone on a AP just for sneezing during interview lol..what I'm trying to say is plz be very prepared....

Buh one thing I know very well is YOU will sing praises to God Almighty

You are blessed dear....allizwell

Timeline

I agree with the post that said you have to believe your own answer before others can believe you. I am an RN yet that does not mean I am swimming in money lol ( though most people in Nigeria doubt this) . For Nigerian men it could be harder being provider both home and abroad. men from eastern Nigeria for example like to find themselves at a certain comfort level before they take major steps. Also bear in mind that most people call just about every heaklth worker "nurse" was he a CNA, LPN/LVN or Rn at the time? that could also impact his finances. maybe he was paying students loans or other debts...just saying.

So whatever answer you give, you have to sound confident. dont overthink any reply. smile, appear confident. show you knw who you are married to, read the embassy review on Nja portal, both of you go over your marriage, the early stages, how you met , dates, special occasions and discuss his daily life here. I bid you Gods speed!!! :)

Edited by ndu26

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

I think capri has spoke my mind, first of all I like u to put everything in God's hand..cos honestly Nigerian Consulate is not a joking one.all I can advice more is to draw down ur facts as capri as said....reason like a consulate buh not just the consulates in canada or england buh the very one of Nigeria...who can place someone on a AP just for sneezing during interview lol..what I'm trying to say is plz be very prepared....

Buh one thing I know very well is YOU will sing praises to God Almighty

You are blessed dear....allizwell

:thumbs:

~* GodsGift225*~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.