Lenny Wolf

Pet Relocation

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Cheapest would likely be to bring him/her as part of your lugage. Be sure to call the airline as soon as you book and tell them you will have a pet, as a limited number of cats/ dogs can travel in the hold of each flight.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Having lugged a total of 7 animals (mix of our own and for pet shelters) across the world and into the US , I'll second Penguin's advice, and add the following.

There are 2 parts to this process: 1. Exporting animal out of the country of residence, and 2. Importing the animal into the new country.

You will have to look into Australia's procedures for export. For the country I was in, I had to have an export permit, which involved several vet visits and paperwork.

Importing a cat or dog into the US is easy. I think the only thing that is required is proof of rabies vaccination (but double check that). As of 6 months ago, you do not need an import permit to bring a dog or cat into the USA.

I'd start by contacting a vet's office, or even just doing a google search on something like 'australia export dog/cat.'

Good Luck!

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also make sure to check the airline's criteria. I think most of them require a vet's approval within 30 days of travel that your pet is in good health. They will also list how much it costs and how big your carrier can be etc.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I used a company called jetpets to relocate my cat from Sydney to Hawaii, it wasn't cheap, but he arrived safely.

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I had my cat sent from Perth to Memphis. I used Petlink as the carrier.

It was around $3000 including the rabies vaccination, the AQIS checks and any US checks once here. Cost more to send the cat one way than me to have return flights.

The cat was fine and healthy when I got her, though very unimpressed with me sending her all that way and its taken me a long time to get her to settle in here.

If I could do it over, I'd have flown her with me instead.

Contact AQIS for their requirements - I think it's even on their website - and they have a list of Vets allowed to do the rabies vaccine. Also your pet needs to be microchipped if it isn't already as that is how the US tracks the vaccinations.

Short outline: AWA affected our application 
2012 - married US Citizen from tourist visa (unplanned)

2013 - First application for AOS by marriage - with an attorney but not one with AWA experience

2013 - First NOID - Got Psych report and as much evidence as possible sent off

2015 - Denied

2015 - Reapply for AOS - same attorney but we are better versed this time 

2016 - NOID - new reports, fresh proof

2017 - Denied

2017 - Reapply 3rd time - yet more info provided

2018  - NOID - 3RD Psych assessment, at $3000 a pop

2021 - Denied

2021 - Reapply BUT with a change - we switch application from my husband as a sponsor to my eldest step-son and suddenly, no issues

2021 - RFE for Medical Exam only!
2024  Jan 13 - email from attorney to say we have finally been APPROVED

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Also your pet needs to be microchipped if it isn't already as that is how the US tracks the vaccinations.

Where did you hear/read that? My dogs chips (I have 2 dogs, both chipped) don't list ANYTHING about their shots. They have a tag on their harness for the rabies shot and vet records I keep at home (I also have a log-in online that reminds me when shots are needed and so I can update their details if need be).

The chipping companies vary from state to state (and within the state as well) and there are lots of different ones and not ALL can be read by all the chip scanners so you need to research the chips available in your area and how well known/read they are.

I don't know anything about the microchip and vaccine records being linked in the USA (but I'm pretty sure that's not the case).

However, you do need look into the requirements for shipping animals. All the animals I relocated were flown on Lufthansa, which required the dog/cat to be microchipped.

And yeah, I would definitely recommend flying the animal with you in the cabin.

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The thing about the microchip might have been the airline company requiring that. They have individual requirements aside from export country and import country. KLM required microchip or ear tattoo. My dog had the microchip already so no issues there. This might be because I'm from Denmark and rules are different in exporting an animal.

Read more about import/export here; http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html

There's one webpage that have most info gathered regarding travelling with pets - it's seatguru-com. Just click the airline company and then "pets"(on the left) to see their rules. Make sure to call the airline to verify the information though. It's nonetheless a great start.

As soon as you know which airline company you'll be flying with(remember to check if it's codeshare and their specific rules) you can determine what needed. Personally, I'd advise having your cat travel with you in the cabin under the seat. I know there are specific meassures that the crate/cage must be within in order to fit. If you have a layover, some airports have small outdoor areas (pet relief areas).

So you'll need to know export from home country regulations - airline company requirements - US import rules.

Good luck(and awesome you're not just leaving the pet behind. They're important!) : )

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Re the microchipping and vaccination.... I was told that by the pet transport company that I used, that the microchip in the cat would identify her as having been vaccinated, in case paper records were misplaced.

Maybe it only applies on importing a pet...I don't know but I was told microchipping was compulsory.

Feel free to check the facts which whomever you ship your pet with.

Short outline: AWA affected our application 
2012 - married US Citizen from tourist visa (unplanned)

2013 - First application for AOS by marriage - with an attorney but not one with AWA experience

2013 - First NOID - Got Psych report and as much evidence as possible sent off

2015 - Denied

2015 - Reapply for AOS - same attorney but we are better versed this time 

2016 - NOID - new reports, fresh proof

2017 - Denied

2017 - Reapply 3rd time - yet more info provided

2018  - NOID - 3RD Psych assessment, at $3000 a pop

2021 - Denied

2021 - Reapply BUT with a change - we switch application from my husband as a sponsor to my eldest step-son and suddenly, no issues

2021 - RFE for Medical Exam only!
2024  Jan 13 - email from attorney to say we have finally been APPROVED

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I used Jetpets as well. A$2500 to move a Jack Russell dog from Gold Coast to Texas but they were awesome! I even got photos when he arrived at his 12 hour boarding home in Los Angeles!

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I moved my dog from Sydney to the US Midwest in 2006. It cost $2,000 and took several days. She got stuck in LA when she missed her connecting flight but the cargo person took her home with him for a couple of days whilst they sorted out her flight up to the midwest. she slept on his bed, rode along in his car.. he chatted to me and had really taken quite a shine to her. It was good to know she was looked after, and I know that she was ok because he mentioned some of her quirks that she does when she settles into a place.

I paid an extra few hundred dollars for a rabies vaccination, but the company I hired did all the paperwork and took care of the rest.

She was microchipped in Aus, but the US microchip scanners can't read it, (or update the details) so she'll need a second microchip. I didn't have any microchip requirements at the time of shipping but that may have changed by now.

My dog is still here and has discovered squirrels and chipmunks, a constant source of frustration and amusement to her. She has also encountered snow for the first time, and is much happier taking walks in the snow than the rain.

Package sent to: Chicago Office

Local Office: Saint Paul, MN

Primary Filings: I0-485, I-130, I-765

Date Filed : 11 Sept 2012

NOA Date : 17 Sept 2012

Bio. Appt.. : 12 Oct 2012

EAD in Production: 14 Nov 2012

EAD Received : 24 Nov 2012

Interview Date : 12 February 2013

Approved : 13 February 2013

GC in Production: 19 February 2013

GC Received: 25 February 2013

Petition to Remove Conditions (I-751)

Date of I-751 = 28 Jan 2015

NOA Date = 29 Jan 2015

Biometrics = 26 Feb 2015

Approved = 25 June 2015

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

My dog is still here and has discovered squirrels and chipmunks, a constant source of frustration and amusement to her. She has also encountered snow for the first time, and is much happier taking walks in the snow than the rain.

:D

My dog is 8 years and snow is her favorite occupation and has always been. Eat it, roll in it, jump on it, toss it, dig in it. She likes skating/sliding on ice as well. She did spot some deer one dy and while they don't just run up a tree, imagine a 95 pounds dog spotting an XL running dinner on four legs. Took a few clicker sessions to have her just observe them and then on with her own snooping around.

This is from the first snow this year. She never whines. However when I came home from work that day, she whined and almost did a backflip because she saw it had been snowing.

aaaa.jpg

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Timeline

That's sooo cute!!

Package sent to: Chicago Office

Local Office: Saint Paul, MN

Primary Filings: I0-485, I-130, I-765

Date Filed : 11 Sept 2012

NOA Date : 17 Sept 2012

Bio. Appt.. : 12 Oct 2012

EAD in Production: 14 Nov 2012

EAD Received : 24 Nov 2012

Interview Date : 12 February 2013

Approved : 13 February 2013

GC in Production: 19 February 2013

GC Received: 25 February 2013

Petition to Remove Conditions (I-751)

Date of I-751 = 28 Jan 2015

NOA Date = 29 Jan 2015

Biometrics = 26 Feb 2015

Approved = 25 June 2015

From what I've found it hasn't been easy to find airlines that will allow the dog to go as extra luggage?

I'm moving over in about 4 months so I've also been looking into moving my dog over, it's a stressful process! Jetpets quoted me $3500 for him, a 20kg dog. Dogtainers quoted me $2000. So that seems more achievable. Although if I could find something cheaper I'd definitely go for it. But I just can't find much on them going as luggage...

Also concerning like travelfairy said, missing a flight & being taken home by airline staff - they have to do this for liability, they can't just leave your dog sitting on the runway for several days until another flights comes along. But my dog has big issues with strangers, so this whole move is going to be very tough for him. I would prefer he doesn't miss any flights, and no one takes him out of his crate, just in case! I'd rather he be crazy ready for a play after sitting in a crate for 15+ hours, rather than someone wanting to take him out for a walk or stretch and have him either bite someone in fear, or run away... I'm just stressing over the whole thing! Ahhhh

Step-child of a USC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.